Info on Mauna Kea tours

beachchick

Aloha. We are hoping to get back to the islands next year. I've been trying to research Mauna Kea summit trips, specifically the ones that go into the Keck and/or others.

Most of the commercial tours seem to be 8 hours long (or more), start in the afternoon, simply "view" the summit, and then have stargazing with the tour companies' small telescopes back down at the Onizuka center. This is not what we want, plus they are pretty pricey. The university has one during the day on the weekend, but you have to drive yourself, including from the center to the summit. (It does not include the Keck.) That means renting a 4-wheel. My DH could drive it, but I'm not sure that's what we want to do.

I remember seeing information about tours sponsered by, I think, the national or state park service. They were only on specific days, occured during the day, and included going into the Keck visitors' area. That was a couple of years ago; I haven't been able to find any current information.

Does anyone have any current info or possible contacts for summit tours to the Keck?

Mahalo for your help.

:cool: beachchick

Archived