conquest story

sixgun8

Come on anyone that just got off the conquest, we hear you all have a great story to tell about the evac and other things. Give it up already!

LOL! My, aren't we impatient!:D ;) Yet, here I am TOO, after reading the "teaser" on the Crazies board, looking for an explanation of what happened!:o :D

Okay, here is the readers digest version.

Monday Night about 9:00 PM, the engines start going full blast, and we are turning around and moving faster than I thought a cruise ship could ever move.

About 9:24, we get an announcement (in our cabins, which is very unusual), that there is a medical emergency, and we will be meeting with a US coast guard helicopter, and that we may or may not have an itinerary change because of it, to stay tuned, and to please stay off the top decks completely (we were in bed at the time, so no problem there),

About 12:30 AM (I think that was the time), I heard the helicopter above the ship.

Next day rumors were flying, but the maître D told us at our table that it was a female pregnant staff member(who had been bleeding internally all day) , and that we went approx 175 miles off of Corpus Christi. That the helicopter actually came from Alabama and that there was a question of US citizen status, where she could be picked up at (international waters, versus some other water – I’m not 100% sure of exactly everything he was saying). She had to have surgery, was stable, but lost the baby (she and her husband both were evacuated off the boat).

Because of all of this, we missed Jamaica totally. Carnival gave everyone a $50 OBC for port taxes, and that was the only compensation given (they also refunded excursions). Apparently a lot of people took exception to this, and one guy was VERY outspoken about the fact that he wanted more compensation. I was told he had a petition with 600 signatures on it (I never saw it, or was asked to sign it). I was also told he was “invited” to leave when we got to Grand Caymen, luggage and all.

Anyway, that is the readers digest version…. I’m sure others can fill in where I am a little fuzzy.

BTW: I’ll do a cruise review later, I have just gotten unpacked and Laundry done, and I am tired…..

Ali’s Mom

Monday Night about 9:00 PM, the engines start going full blast, and we are turning around and moving faster than I thought a cruise ship could ever move.

About 9:24, we get an announcement (in our cabins, which is very unusual), that there is a medical emergency, and we will be meeting with a US coast guard helicopter, and that we may or may not have an itinerary change because of it, to stay tuned, and to please stay off the top decks completely (we were in bed at the time, so no problem there),

About 12:30 AM (I think that was the time), I heard the helicopter above the ship.

Next day rumors were flying, but the maître D told us at our table that it was a female pregnant staff member(who had been bleeding internally all day) , and that we went approx 175 miles off of Corpus Christi. That the helicopter actually came from Alabama and that there was a question of US citizen status, where she could be picked up at (international waters, versus some other water – I’m not 100% sure of exactly everything he was saying). She had to have surgery, was stable, but lost the baby (she and her husband both were evacuated off the boat).

Because of all of this, we missed Jamaica totally. Carnival gave everyone a $50 OBC for port taxes, and that was the only compensation given (they also refunded excursions). Apparently a lot of people took exception to this, and one guy was VERY outspoken about the fact that he wanted more compensation. I was told he had a petition with 600 signatures on it (I never saw it, or was asked to sign it). I was also told he was “invited” to leave when we got to Grand Caymen, luggage and all.

Anyway, that is the readers digest version…. I’m sure others can fill in where I am a little fuzzy.

BTW: I’ll do a cruise review later, I have just gotten unpacked and Laundry done, and I am tired…..

Ali’s Mom

I am so sorry for the staff member! What a frightening and devestating situation!

BUT I am very glad to not have run into a petition toting passenger - what an idiot! I'd say $50 compensation is adequate, plus refunds of excursions. I am however glad he was invited off, though i don't know that I would have given him his luggage! :D

Shame on the passenger(s)!!!! A family lost a child and all he(they) can think about is money.There are more important things in life than fun and vacations.Hopefully he(they) will not have to learn the hard way.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the cruise contract state that the cruise line is NOT liable in situations such as this?

So to be demanding ANYTHING is out of line to begin with, and what Carnival did offer (which they didn't have to) seems more than adequate.

Some folks are just never happy, and will complain / demand compensation if the wind blows too hard..

Just got home--whew! Had to check to see if people were posting about our missed port yet. LOL (Actually, I was wondering what the chances were that the petitioner was a CC member) I saw him many, many times during those first few sea days. He wanted a third of his money back since we had missed a third of our ports. (We got a $25 credit per person as a 'refund of port fees' for MoBay.) Lots of talk about class action lawsuits, etc. I figured there must be a clause somewhere. He was very animated and upset every time I saw him. I used it as a good teaching tool for the kids about going with the flow and how you can have a horrible time if you let yourself. Yes, we were disappointed that we missed Jamaica, but were very thankful that we weren't the ones air lifted off the ship. (Also interesting how the 'telephone' game works on the ship...by the end of the week I had heard it was a female staff member, but first I had heard it was a woman with a 'staph' infection.

Okay, 10 hour drive and I need to catch some zzz's I look forward to catching up on the boards and writing a review when I get time.

Sorry to hear about the staff member losing her baby. You know some people won't have a good time no matter what. If it wouldn't have been this, then that upset passenger would've found something else to gripe about.

Well, I wonder if that was the real story... since that's story number two that I've heard... Wasn't on the ship, so all I have a rumors and I won't repeat much... but I guess this is more plausible than a prank of someone overboard and then the whole family being asked to leave the ship...

Yep, the game of "telephone" onboard ship... the rumor mill... one never konws what to know...

Well, I wonder if that was the real story... since that's story number two that I've heard... Wasn't on the ship, so all I have a rumors and I won't repeat much... but I guess this is more plausible than a prank of someone overboard and then the whole family being asked to leave the ship...

Yep, the game of "telephone" onboard ship... the rumor mill... one never konws what to know...

I figured since I got the information directly from the maître D - that he would know the "true" story. Plus over dinner on Thursday night, they announced that the female in question had had surgery and was stable. That was another good way to stop the “telephone” rumor mill.

Ali’s Mom

I did not get $50 on board credit!!! I did get a $25/person refund of the port charges and fees. To me that is not an on-board credit. I also got reimbursed for my excursion I didn't go on. I never got a thing except one more day on the ship.

BTW, I've got pics of the whole thing but this site says they're too big to add as an attachment in my post. Any suggestions?!

The prank was on the Voyager, not the Conquest. The story you heard happened, just on a different ship. It was a busy week at sea for ships from Galveston last week!:eek:

Hi Cindy :)

Yes...we were on the Voyager and were wondering why the Conquest wasn't in Jamaica with us. We were supposed to be late to Jamaica due our passenger's "prank" but somehow our captain managed to still get us there on time. We had to turn around as well and I had heard the family was picked up and taken off the ship. There were many rumors about our ships situation as well, the crew was very tight lipped about things and the story changed many times.

I hope the Conquest crew member is doing better, very sad that she ended up losing her baby.

The prank was on the Voyager, not the Conquest. The story you heard happened, just on a different ship. It was a busy week at sea for ships from Galveston last week!:eek:

Ali’s Mom

Not to reveal anything but did they ever tell who the crew member was. I know I was quite noisy on the Conquest especially after learning how many of them are married. I only remember one married couple where they were BOTH working on the Conquest. I'm sure they may have changed crew after nearly a year. But I sure hope it's not who I think it might be:( that couple actually lives about 20 minutes away from our house. And I do know that she wasn't from the US but her husband is:(

Not to reveal anything but did they ever tell who the crew member was. I know I was quite noisy on the Conquest especially after learning how many of them are married. I only remember one married couple where they were BOTH working on the Conquest. I'm sure they may have changed crew after nearly a year. But I sure hope it's not who I think it might be:( that couple actually lives about 20 minutes away from our house. And I do know that she wasn't from the US but her husband is:(

No, they never did say where she worked, only that she and her husband were airlifted off the ship. Wish I could provide more info than that for you.

Archived