Getting to the ship in San Juan

lkuli

I would take a taxi. It's much less hassle. You'll get to the ship faster. You won't have to wait for the bus to fill up. Your luggage won't be out of your sight (that always bothers me). I don't recall how much the taxis are, but it couldn't have been very expensive or I would remember.

We have taken three cruises out of San Juan and have never purchases transfers. We always get our luggage and head outside. There are a ton of taxis.... and actually there's a line to get in. There are a lot of people there helping you, they will ask what pier (usually Pan-

America Pier).... and we have never waited more than 10 mintues for a taxi. It's a set rate (I dont remember the cost, but I want to say something like 10 bucks per person.) It's simple and easier and you won't have any problems.

How easy are they to catch once you leave the ship? I was wondering about the transfers v. taxis myself. Getting to the ship would be easy I think, but isn't there a long line to get one after disembarkation?

Carey

Tons of taxis will be lined up at the port waiting to take you wherever you want. When we were there, they were lined up three deep, and as far as I could see. Remember, they make a ton of money from the cruise ship passengers.

I have sailed out of San Juan a couple times, I would definitely recommend a taxi as well. Cheap, faster then the transfers and at disembarkation, we have never had to wait for a taxi. They line them up so if there is a wait, it's not long.

Wish the lines at the airport were as short as waiting for a taxi at the pier! :eek:

When you get off the ship, gather your luggage....porters will ask if you need help with your bags.....tell them YES.....they will then take you outside and will approach one of the people who are working to organize the taxis (they are the ones with the clipboards), and you will get in a taxi right away. We never stopped moving from the time we left the ship to the time we got in the security line at the airport. Our porter at the airport even gave us a "shortcut" to go directly to the airline check-in counter to avoid some of the hassle (but, since this was my only time at the San Juan airport, I couldn't tell you what we avoided or how!......or even if he just fed us a "line" in hopes of getting a bigger tip!):rolleyes:

PS: the nice thing also about the taxi is when you que up for the taxi a dispatcher will count your bags(50 cents each) and give you a official ticket to give the driver which spells out the exact cost of the ride(set by govt) never any haggling or misunderstanding due to language done it three times 18 dollars(plus 2 dollar tip voluntary) 20 mins and you are at the port or airport this total for the trip not per person we had 3 people I believe they charge 3 dollars for each additional person

Taxi cost to the either pier in SJ is $19 for up to 5 paxs, then $2 each extra for 6th and 7th pax plus $.50 for first three handled (not carry on) pieces of luggage then $1 each for more. According to the official web page price linked to below that price is for the OSJ piers but the Pan Am pier on Isla Grande (zone 5) from SJU airport should be $15. In our experience for all three cruises from the Pan Am pier in last year's winter season, the dispatchers used $19 for the base fare in both directions (to/from Pan Am) even though we specified or were at the Pan Am pier. I knew what the correct fare should have been and simply consider the extra to be the drivers tip. You may want to specify the Luis Rivas Dominichi Airport in Isla Grande to the airport dispatcher as that base fare rate is noted specifically in the fares below as $15 but it was easier to consider the extra as the gratuity.

http://www.gotopuertorico.com/puerto-rico-transportation.php

Archived