What is the pull of Aft Cabins?

Why do so many ppl like aft cabins? I think about being on the back of the ship and seeing the wake and not being able to see around the side as a let down, not a positive.

I know they have extra large balconies, but aren't they hidden in the shade of the ship making them cooler and the room dark?

Just wondering!

I'll be on an aft balcony for the first time in June. But on a previous cruise I LOVED watching the wake of the water (from a Spa) . It was so relaxing not to mention beautiful to me. Plus you have a gorgeous view of the ocean your leaving behind ;)

A picture says a 1000 words. In the link below you can access pics from our various cruises with aft cabins. On the Radiance class of RCI ships the corner aft does not have superstructure as a surround so we are able to see side views as well as aft. Centre aft cabins have a very wide view. The aft balconies are significantly larger than the side balconies also little or no wind and more protection (because of the depth) from rain.

Kathy:)

I know they have extra large balconies, but aren't they hidden in the shade of the ship making them cooler and the room dark?
Whether they're in the shade or the sun depends on where the sun is not which way the ship is going.

Great views (awesome sunrises or sunsets), Bigger balconies, Less wind.

We had plenty of sun and light. Also we were not on the corner but one in from the corner and could still see quite a bit of the side. Had to check out the television to see where we were headed though. LOL

Why do so many ppl like aft cabins? I think about being on the back of the ship and seeing the wake and not being able to see around the side as a let down, not a positive.

Just wondering!

Actually from the aft there is no pull, you are pushing.

I like aft cabins for all the above mentioned reasons plus

the back of the ship is so much more quiet. There is little foot traffic

back there.

Actually from the aft there is no pull, you are pushing.

I like aft cabins for all the above mentioned reasons plus

the back of the ship is so much more quiet. There is little foot traffic

back there.

does it take you forever to get to your cabin or anywhere else?

For Radiance or Vision class, I love the aft - there's a great view and the balconies are only partly covered, so you still get plenty of light, more than in the side cabins on the decks I've been on. And there is a sense of splendid isolation back there - you can't look at dozens of other balconies from yours, just the ones next door.

For Voyager class I prefer the hump cabins. The balconies aren't gigantic, but they are still plenty big enough for me (and could accomodate a full lounger if your cabin steward would get you one). The aft cabins have a view of superstructure before you see the ocean, although some cabins on Deck 10 aren't too obstructed. But it's enough to make the hump more attractive to me.

we had 1388 on a Voyager-class ship, and didn't care for it at all.

There are a lot of beams criss-crossing across your view, and one beam that comes quiet low across the middle of the balcony (got tired of ducking under it all the time). To us, it was like overlooking a construction zone, especially considering that deck 6 extends quite far beyond these aft balconies, so it's a long way to the water/wake. We also didn't like the "vacuum" effect that caused the air on our balcony to be very still. What good was having such a huge balcony when it was too hot to enjoy?

We prefer a smaller balcony, with a more direct view of the water, and with some breezes to temper the heat.

Also, every morning, we awoke to a wet balcony because of the overflow of water used to clean the windjammer windows and the sports decks overnight.

Oddly enough, we didn't have a problem with the common complaints - no soot, no vibrations, and the walk wasn't all that bad.

we had 1388 on a Voyager-class ship, and didn't care for it at all.

There are a lot of beams criss-crossing across your view, and one beam that comes quiet low across the middle of the balcony (got tired of ducking under it all the time). To us, it was like overlooking a construction zone, especially considering that deck 6 extends quite far beyond these aft balconies, so it's a long way to the water/wake. We also didn't like the "vacuum" effect that caused the air on our balcony to be very still. What good was having such a huge balcony when it was too hot to enjoy?

We prefer a smaller balcony, with a more direct view of the water, and with some breezes to temper the heat.

Also, every morning, we awoke to a wet balcony because of the overflow of water used to clean the windjammer windows and the sports decks overnight.

Oddly enough, we didn't have a problem with the common complaints - no soot, no vibrations, and the walk wasn't all that bad.

Wow. Alright, definitely will not look at Afts. Thanks for the info. Too much troubel and I don't feel like checking EVERY ship to see if they have the same or a similar layout that would be affected the same. That sucks!! :(

Wow. Alright, definitely will not look at Afts. Thanks for the info. Too much troubel and I don't feel like checking EVERY ship to see if they have the same or a similar layout that would be affected the same. That sucks!! :(

Well, don't discount the afts based on my experience because most people love them. I just wish I had known all of the cons, and had received a more complete image of them in my mind before I booked one.

The Voyager-class ships are Voyager, Explorer, Adventure, Navigator and Mariner. The Radiance and Vision ships do not have the beam issue. (I don't know about Freedom, Liberty and Independence).

Cool; more afts for the rest of us! :D

We had 1690 in January on Voyager.It was the best of 10 rooms I have had on cruises..

Have had 6688 on Mariner and loved it also,although some don't like the deck area out front.

We loved 1690 for many reasons..Huge Huge balcony.It is not a corner,its the next one over.But it is wonderful..Had plenty of sun during different parts of the day.No soot of any kind.And only water one night very late from deck washing above.The view ,the peacefulness and serenity can not be matched. Being recessed allows for great privacy and quite. Even when others around you are out on their balconies.We just loved even having the curtain and door open while we were inside getting ready or what have you...Really nice...We tried sleeping one night with the door open,but it was a little hot...Not saying I will only sail in a aft from here forward...But it will definitely be a big factor...

The rooms with the pole in the room are only the corners ...Our room was a d1...And it was huge...

Well, don't discount the afts based on my experience because most people love them. I just wish I had known all of the cons, and had received a more complete image of them in my mind before I booked one.

The Voyager-class ships are Voyager, Explorer, Adventure, Navigator and Mariner. The Radiance and Vision ships do not have the beam issue. (I don't know about Freedom, Liberty and Independence).

No I wouldn't. I was already partial to the sides of the ships anyways. I can't imagine how looking backwards is good. I understand you see more but I don't think it is for me. I was just curious though - hence the thread. You know, just to see if there was something I was missing.

We've sailed many times with friends, who thought they would try the aft cabin - ((our preference has always been to be right off the centrum area, (easy access to everywhere) and on Voyager class and Radiance Class you can get a good size balcony on the "hump")). They disliked it, too far to go to get anywhere, and they found we were out so much they didn't really use the balcony. We were in a JS on the aft of the Enchantment once, (we didn't pick it, it was assigned to us) and there we were sitting on the balcony as we pulled out of a port, only to be showered with soot! Plus depending on the ship the aft elevators don't always go all the way up or down so you end up having to go back to the centrum anywhere.

Personally, I don't like them.

We really liked the aft cabin corner cabin on NOS. It was nice to see everything behind us as well as peeking up the side of the ship. If I looked past the divider between balconies I could see a good 270deg view of what was going on around the ship.

The larger balcony was nice as well.

Sun/shade all depend where the sun is located in relation to the cabin, going East left us in a nice sunny cabin when the sun was going down.

DW and DD only want aft balcony cabins from now on...

A picture says a 1000 words. In the link below you can access pics from our various cruises with aft cabins. On the Radiance class of RCI ships the corner aft does not have superstructure as a surround so we are able to see side views as well as aft. Centre aft cabins have a very wide view. The aft balconies are significantly larger than the side balconies also little or no wind and more protection (because of the depth) from rain.

Thanks for the great pics of the aft cabins of various ships. Now I see why these are so desireable. I suppose one must book early to snare one?

Too late for us this year but maybe in 2009. :cool:

Yeah, everybody stay away from these undesireable Afts. Eventually market forces will take the prices down. Then we'll snatch them up cheaply and enjoy every incredible sq. foot of those huge balconies and great views. We're happy to take these terrible cabins. I'm remembering what it was like to stretch out on the full length loungers and fall asleep every night. Horrible.:eek:

Thanks for the great pics of the aft cabins of various ships. Now I see why these are so desireable. I suppose one must book early to snare one?

Too late for us this year but maybe in 2009. :cool:

Sometimes you can get lucky and snag an aft that has been released otherwise yes, you do need to book early. We booked on March 18th for corner aft 9256 on the Brilliance for August 2009. In the event we have a desirable aft and have to release it for some reason, we go to the Roll Call for that cruise and let our fellow CCers know the cabin is being released.

Glad you liked the pics.

Had and aft JS on the Grandeur last month and absolutely loved it. We didn't experiance any of the problems mentioned on this thread and enjoyed it so much we're booked into a corner aft for a 10 day this Dec also on the Grandeur.:D

Archived