Need advice: Choosing destination and cruise line

dcappa

First of all, what a great site! It was recommended by a co-worker, when I mentioned my husband and I wanting to go on our first cruise. I've spent the last week reading reviews etc. I have to honestly say, I'm even more overwhelmed that before. ;) SO many choices! There's so many great reviews....but I'm still not even close to making a decision.:rolleyes:

I'm hoping to ask all you experts for advice on which cruise, cruise line, etc might be best for us.

We are thinking a cruise in December '08(proabably 1st or 2nd week). 7 or 8 day cruise. Caribbean. Though not sure what part. We are going to be working on our diving certification, so we'd like to be sure to visit locations that might offer great diving excersions for the recently certified/relatively novice divers. There's just the two of us and we have no children. We are in our 40's, and enjoy the sun, beach, shopping and relaxing.

I have been on one cruise in my life, but it was over 15 years ago. So this might as well be my first cruise really. It was with Royal Caribbean, Eastern Caribbean (St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Nassah, San Juan).

I have been looking at the Southern Caribbean itinerary and wonder if it might be a good choice, but also wonder about Eastern.

As for cruiselines. I'm not sure I've been able to narrow them down either. But wondering about RC, NCL and Princess cruises. As far as cabins, we'll definitely like a balcony room. And once I chose a cruiseline....I guess I'll have to ask what ship might be best as well.

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one to sound so undecided and have sooooo many questions?:o

I also hope I've posted my first thread in the right forum?

Thank you!

Since you are interested in scuba, you may want to check out the

11/10/08 Official Emerald Princess Cruise Critic Scuba Group. That roll call is at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=592691

Scroll down to post #20 for the start of diving info. It's a 10-day cruise, but it looks like you'll share the ship with many other divers.

(I'm not on that cruise, but I found that info for a friend.)

Otherwise, I've heard that Bonaire is great for novice divers because you can dive right from shore - no dive boat necessary.

Archived