Diamond. LA or Long Beach

vadim77777

We arrived Saturday into San Pedro on the Diamond from its Vancouver to Los Angeles repositioning cruise.

Your question is a good one. When we reserved this cruise, we were under the impression that we would arrive in Long Beach -- a byproduct of the Carnival takeover. But it seems that the City of Los Angeles did some lobbying to keep Princess in San Pedro.

SeaDays,

You are correct. The Port of San Pedro signed a deal with Princess. From what I understand, it was an attractive deal so most (if not all) of the Princess ships will sail from San Pedro. And that is a bummer!! :( Long Beach is so much nicer and Carnival built a really neat cruise terminal in the hangar that used to house Howard Hughes plane the Spruce Goose! And the hanger is right next to original Queen Mary.

Your pier will be San Pedro but definitely fly into Long Beach - 20 minutes, at most, from the time the plane lands, you get your luggage and are in a cab. I was just at LAX this weekend - 2 hours to get from the airport to my destination, West hollywood, with carry-on luggage. Another 2 hours to check in and go through security - total chaos!!

Part of the problem also is that Long Beach can only handle 1 ship whereas San Pedro can handle several. With Carnival having 2 ships sailing year round, it makes it hard to have it difficult to only have some ships home ported there.

Archived