Cruise ship tours to lava flow?

MPM

Is anyone aware of any NCL cruise ship tours that will actually get you to the lava flow, and back to the ship in time to depart? Almost everything I have read to date suggests that the viewing area doesn't open until 2:00 pm. The POAl is scheduled to leave Hilo at 5:00 pm. That is cutting it pretty close. For the most part, I avoid the cruise ship tours, and would be really disappointed if I paid for one, and then didn't get to see lava up close and personal (assuming of course the lava is flowing). I would take the rental car, but at the moment it doesn't seem practical to get on location at 2:00, have time to see the lava flow, and still get the rental car back in time to be back on the ship by 4:30. Anyone have any first hand experience, thoughts, or advice? I really want to see some lava up close:D

-Mike

We were in Hilo on 14-March (Pride of Aloha). You are correct the viewing area does not open until 2 pm, and it is about 40 minutes from the Hilo port. We were not aware of this and arrived at 12 pm, and there were about 8 vehicles ahead of us. We talked to the Police (manning the gate) and were told that 20 vehicles would be allowed in at 2 pm. Additional vehicles could enter as each of the initial vehicles returned.

We were told by another person that the best hiking trail was about 3 miles down the gated road, and about a 0.5 mile hike to the current lava flow. She did not know if any lava could actually be seen flowing on the surface.

We needed to return our rental car by 4 pm to catch the last shuttle to the ship for the 4:30 'all aboard', so we chose to hike to the nearby black sand beach.

Not seeing an active lava flow was probably our most disappointing aspect of the cruise, but now we have a reason to return soon.

No one can guarantee that you will see lava flowing. What might be an active site one day, could shut down in a matter of an hour . The best way to actually 'see' lava is at night. By the time you get close enough to really see anything, the temperature is hot enough to melt your shoes - I know, I have the hiking boots to prove it.

For your own safety, the park officials won't let you get too close.Of course, that's the red stuff that's hard to see. The black lava is every where and that's a pretty incredible sight on its own.

If you really, really want to see lava and be guaranteed that it'll be there waiting for you, you will have to buy a DVD of an eruption. Sorry, but Madam is a fickle female and changes her mind at the drop of a hat.

Charlie

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I recognize the odds aren't good, and that conditions can change in a minute. I think the thing that will haunt me is if there were a great opportunity to see lava up close, and I just missed it due to time constraints. Oh well, I guess I should quit obsessing about it:rolleyes: Hopefully we will get a good view from the ship:D

-Mike

Is anyone aware of any NCL cruise ship tours that will actually get you to the lava flow, and back to the ship in time to depart? Almost everything I have read to date suggests that the viewing area doesn't open until 2:00 pm. The POAl is scheduled to leave Hilo at 5:00 pm. That is cutting it pretty close. For the most part, I avoid the cruise ship tours, and would be really disappointed if I paid for one, and then didn't get to see lava up close and personal (assuming of course the lava is flowing). I would take the rental car, but at the moment it doesn't seem practical to get on location at 2:00, have time to see the lava flow, and still get the rental car back in time to be back on the ship by 4:30. Anyone have any first hand experience, thoughts, or advice? I really want to see some lava up close:D

-Mike

The Lava Viewing Hike resumed but the closest you will get is about 300 yards away.

The Lava Viewing Hike resumed but the closest you will get is about 300 yards away.

Thanks for this information, it is exactly what I was looking for! I don't think 300 yards (or even 100 yards for that matter) is really what I had in mind, especially during the day time when it sounds like it is pretty hard to see anything from very far away. On the TV shows, it always seem like people get to walk right up to lava, and just kind of look down at it, while their leg hairs are getting singed! I will stick with the car tour of VNP, and hope I get a good view at night from POAl. When I get back, I will give everyone an update of what we are able to see. Only four hours before we head to the airport - I hope to be on Waikiki beach, watching the sunset tonight:D

-Mike

Just returned from POAl and we walked down to the viewing area during the day (Mar 17) and all we could see was the steam as the lava hit the ocean (no red glow). However, the ship cruised by the flows at 10:00pm in the evening and it was a spectacular show of red glowing along the coast. You could see the lava as it poured down and broke into the ocean. I would have preferred going to the viewing area at night, but going during the day was better than nothing.

Archived