The Yachts of SeaDream

We have just returned from our seven-day sail aboard SeaDream I, from San Juan.

In an earlier post, I suggested that on our return, I would attempt an objective comparison between the two lines...having been on the ships of Windstar twice, and SeaDream, four times. As I suggested in my last post, we found the service aboard Windsurf in January "spotty" and the food quality and presentation, not up to our 2007 cruise aboard Windspirit. These observations were not meant to be meanspirited, but simply to state our experiences when compared of the earlier cruise. We also suggested that the Windsurf was three times the size of Windspirit, and that, along with the recent change of ownership may have skewed our comparison.

Now, lets take a look at the yachts of SeaDream versus Windspirit. First, the passenger complements are about equal. SeaDream is, of course, a motor yacht, while Windspirit is often under sail. Cabins aboard

Windspirit may be a nose ahead of SeaDream (especially in the baths, which are larger). The dining room, again, on Windspirit in layout and decor is more pleasing. This is where the advantage to the yachts of Windstar end. Other "public " areas...lounges, bars, pools, sun chaises, etc are much better aboard SeaDream. There is more room to get away from the madding crowds!

Service and attention to detail was far superior aboard SeaDream...though nearly two and one-half times more expensive. Food, too, along with premium wines and liquors, were vastly better. And, one NEVER signs for anything aboard SeaDream. The price is all inclusive and avoids the meddlesome need to be constantly signing chits, even for a Coca-Cola. This is one area Windstar Lines might wish to revisit, i.e. increase the price a little and eliminate this "nit".

Overall, SeaDream is head and shoulders above Windstar, and of course, you are paying for it. But, if you are looking for a "once in a lifetime" cruise experience, they are they ships for you. And, if you carefully watch their web site, you can often book special fares they offer, like a 12day trans-atlantic crossing (April 27th, from Barbados) for $3,099pp, all inclusive. If you like to lie back and be pampered, this is a great way to "cross the pond".

Now, having drawn comparisons, I do not wish to discourage anyone from booking the ships of Windstar.

While they offer a wonderful sailing experience, I would book the smaller ships again but, probably avoid the larger Windsurf.

Great cruising!

I totally agree with your comparison. We sailed on Sea Dream II last January out of San Juan. This January we sailed on Windstar on the Pacific side of Costa Rica.

Both were fabulous cruises. I would do both again. Since you can't compare the ports of call, then you have to look at the amenities, food , pampering ,etc. Sea Dream really wins in all those areas. I also thought the refurbished cabins on Windstar were very well done. The storage space was amazing! You just have to decide if you want to pay the difference. We have been to the Carribbean many times and wanted something different for a winter cruise. We really enjoyed the Costa Rican experience on Windstar. In seven days, we never saw another cruise ship. We had all the ports to ourselves. Some of our ports of call were remote National Parks or wildlife refuges that would be difficult to access otherwise. When those sails are up on Windstar, it is a very thrilling experience!

We will probably sail on both lines again, because I have decided that small ships are the only way to go. My issue becomes finding new places to visit. They both seem to keep going to the same ports. I am a port intensive person and would go nuts on an Atlantic crossing. Maybe when I'm 80!

I agree that Windstar should consider charging a little more, and make it all inclusive.

Archived