Train or car from Warnemunde to Berlin?

We will be checking the boards every day for more helpful tips and hints.

To save you this time: send a mail to

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard dot de

Replace "nickname" by my nickname which I use here in this forum.

I'll send you something to keep you "entertained" and "busy" until February 2009.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 1 year later...

Are there any local sites closer to the dock area that we could see instead of going all of the way into Berlin ? We hope to rent an apartment next summer and stay in Berlin for a few weeks. Some of our group do not want to take the long day to go into Berlin. My husband and I thought of doing it on our own, but are a little hesitant. We are in our 60's, but still "young".....at least that what we think :rolleyes: If there is any interesting area closer to where the ship docks, it might be nice to see that area. I would appreciate any help you can give us. Thank you.

Are there any local sites closer to the dock area that we could see instead of going all of the way into Berlin ? We hope to rent an apartment next summer and stay in Berlin for a few weeks. Some of our group do not want to take the long day to go into Berlin. My husband and I thought of doing it on our own, but are a little hesitant. We are in our 60's, but still "young".....at least that what we think :rolleyes: If there is any interesting area closer to where the ship docks, it might be nice to see that area. I would appreciate any help you can give us. Thank you.

Help yourself:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2008/08/heinbloed-cruise-guides.html

When you made a pre-selection of three spots we can continue to discuss if your selection is workable and how you can arrange your tour...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Since every place is completely new, all possibilities sound good. I am on slow dial-up service so it was hard for me to open some of the pictures. However, reading your write-ups, Rostock sounds like a good possibility for us. But, I am open to any suggestions you might have if you think some other place would be a better choice.

If, as you say, you enjoy discovering "new places", you have an open invitation to visit Colorado Springs, Colorado USA. We are land-locked so you can't take a cruise to see us, but the area is beautiful and located at the base of Pike's Peak and the beginning of the Rocky Mountains. Our Tourist Bureau likes to brag that we have 300 days a year of sunshine. That may be a little bit of an exaggeration, but most people do find it a nice climate. Please visit us some time. I think you will find us friendly and welcoming.

It is so nice of you to take the time to educate some of us about how to take advantage of shore excursions on our own. I assure you that your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lindy :)

Since every place is completely new, all possibilities sound good. I am on slow dial-up service so it was hard for me to open some of the pictures. However, reading your write-ups, Rostock sounds like a good possibility for us. But, I am open to any suggestions you might have if you think some other place would be a better choice.

If, as you say, you enjoy discovering "new places", you have an open invitation to visit Colorado Springs, Colorado USA. We are land-locked so you can't take a cruise to see us, but the area is beautiful and located at the base of Pike's Peak and the beginning of the Rocky Mountains. Our Tourist Bureau likes to brag that we have 300 days a year of sunshine. That may be a little bit of an exaggeration, but most people do find it a nice climate. Please visit us some time. I think you will find us friendly and welcoming.

It is so nice of you to take the time to educate some of us about how to take advantage of shore excursions on our own. I assure you that your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lindy :)

Thanks for your invitation.

If you dislike to travel longer and stay closer but historical buildings:

Warnemünde - Bad Doberan - Molli Steam Train - Kühlungsborn (Seaside resort) - Steam Train - Wismar (UNESCO World Heritage) - Rostock - Warnemünde

There is no too long ways (max. 1 hour).

Does it sound good to you? Or already too much for one day???

Regards,

HeinBloed

I have made a list of your suggestions and will take it with me on the cruise. No, that doesn't sound like too much in one day unless I would need to spend a lot of time at each. I like to try to do and see as much as possible. What is the best transportation to Rostock or is it within walking distance? If a bus is best, where do we get tickets and board?

Thanks, Lindy

I have made a list of your suggestions and will take it with me on the cruise. No, that doesn't sound like too much in one day unless I would need to spend a lot of time at each. I like to try to do and see as much as possible. What is the best transportation to Rostock or is it within walking distance? If a bus is best, where do we get tickets and board?

Thanks, Lindy

Ooops... you forgot to mention on which ship you are and on which date you are in Warnemünde...

Regards,

HeinBloed

We're on the Holland America, 27 Aug 2009. Thank you so much for your help. I am really looking forward to meeting some wonderful people and seeing some great sites. I have painted with some German friends and really like the German humor....very understated and delightful. We are all porcelain artists and share our various styles with each other. They are telling me I won't have any trouble making my way around. I hope they are correct. None of them are familiar with the area we are visiting however.

Oh that's good: early arrival and late departure...

i. e. much to see...

Your bus to Bad Doberan leaves at 07.50 hrs from Warnemünde Werft (Shipyard).

Your options:

walk of 15-20 minutes:

instructions here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2008/12/molli-train-germany-bad-doberan-and.html

or you go by commuter train:

07.22 hrs or 07.32 hrs for one stop Rostock-bound to Warnemünde Werft.

If you take the train you buy the tickets as follows:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-bad-doberanmolli.html

BUT not just to Bad Doberan...

YOU NEED a group day pass which is called

Gesamtnetz VVW:

If you buy it at the ferry terminal:

Enter destination code 6000 (by keypad)

and then press the green button (Gruppen-Tageskarte Rostock/Region)

The price should be 11.50 EUR

If you buy it at the train station:

Enter destination code 394 (by keypad)

and then press the button (Gruppentageskarte VVW)

07.50 hrs dep from Warnemünde Werft by Bus 119 towards Bad Doberan

08.20 hrs arr at Bad Doberan Station / Bus Terminal

transfer to

08.35 hrs dep from Bad Doberan Station / Bus Terminal by Bus 121 towards Rerik

08.55 hrs arr at Kühlungsborn Ost (East Station)

An impression what you can do around you can see in my blog of the scenic route:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/wismar-to-warnemunde-germany-scenic.html

11.44 hrs dep at Kühlungsborn Ost by Molli-Train towards Bad Doberan

SEPERATE TICKETS ON MOLLI-TRAIN REQUIRED...

12.18 hrs arr at Bad Doberan

transfer to

12.32 hrs dep at Bad Doberan platform 2 by RE 33174

13.15 hrs arr at Wismar

Now you have 14 minutes time for a fight with a German ticket machine...

Therefore:

in Warnemünde you have time enough to fight with the machine:

You need two return tickets from Teschow to Wismar:

total of 14.80 EUR for both of you. The rest of the tour (except Molli-Train) is covered by the group day pass.

Read this instructions:

can you handle it at the machine with this instruction???

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-warenmuritz-and.html

Because of the low value you cannot buy it online. So you need to go step by step to buy the tickets.

OR

you are smart and be before opening times of the ticket office at Warnemünde at 07.00 hrs and present following phrases to the agent:

Guten Morgen

Bitte

1 x Gruppentageskarte Gesamtnetz VVW

2 x Rückfahrkarten 2. Klasse von Teschow nach Wismar für heute

Danke!

Put it on a sheet of paper and present it to the agent.

You should pay in total 26.30 EUR for the whole day except the fare for the Molli-train which is payable at the station in Kühlungsborn.

But what is if the queue is long and you might miss your train???

Have the instructions ready to buy the tickets at the machine by credit card...

It sound so complicated but I want to save your money - that's why I am using the group day pass solution and must find a way to pay the add-on section out of the group day pass range to Wismar and back to the range.

Do not forget to punch the ticket when you use the day pass the very first time:

at the platform at a orange box or when you board the bus.

But now you are in Wismar.

15.42 hrs from Wismar platform 2 by RE 33181 towards Tessin

16.51 hrs at Rostock Hbf (= Hauptbahnhof = Central Station)

Just go down and take the tram 5/6 towards the city - it's all included in the group day-pass.

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-rostock-train-and.html

Whenever you wish to return: just do it:

From 17.16 hrs to 20.16 hrs the commuter trains to Warnemünde starts every 15 minutes. Later the day every 20 minutes.

There are easier but more expensive ways to do exactly the same.

Following offer:

Do you see my e-mail-address? (see signature or in the blog):

You send me your mailing address and I send you the tickets for Teschow to Wismar and back.

It's 14.80 EUR and you can just put 20 USD-bill into an enveloppe while you are in Germany and mail it to me.

So you just buy the group day pass at the machine and it solves a lot of problems - I guess and you will have a stressfree day of joy in Germany I hope...

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 1 year later...
Your ship is leaving at 10.00 pm but I would recommend to drive yourself by car and doing Park + Ride in Berlin to have sufficient time to discover Berlin.

Subject you'll get very soon after berthing ashore:

dep 08.37 S1 train from Warnemünde (platform 2)

arr 08.58 at Rostock Hbf (Central Station - platform 1)

dep 09.04 RE 33006 from Rostock Hbf (platform 6)

arr 10.01 at Schwerin Hbf (platform 3)

dep 10.18 RE 38211 from Schwerin Hbf (platform 4a)

arr 12.36 at Berlin Hbf

dep 18.12 ICE 1000 from Berlin Hbf

arr 20.44 arr at Warnemünde

Subject you accept the short stay less than five hours in Berlin and the longer transit time incl. 2 transfers to Berlin and the more expensive high speed train from Berlin back to Warnemünde the standard cost will be 86.80 EUR pp = 173.60 EUR.

If you say that you can accept it I will give further information how to make it cheaper!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hello Heinbloed, I met you on the NCL Jade January 2011 21 day BTB Western Med/Canary Islands. I am now traveling NCL 24days BTB Baltic/Transatlantic from Copenhagen to Orlando in Sept 2011.

Could you please give me advice for transport from Wanemunde to Berlin please for Sept 12th??

Thank You in Advance:D

Archived