Montreal

mamadot

If you have an opportunity to tour a bit in Montreal, do it. Montreal is an amazing city...very diverse when it comes to cultures, etc. It's like a wee bit of Europe plunked down in North America.

Don't worry about not speaking French (if that is the case). You can get by very easily with just English. Be polite with the locals and they'll return the favour.

Don't worry about not speaking French (if that is the case). You can get by very easily with just English. Be polite with the locals and they'll return the favour.
I've spent a lot of time in Quebec province (researching my ancestry) and have never seen much Anglophobia ... and when there was some it was in the rural areas rather than in Montreal or Quebec city.

For whatever it's worth, I'm glad to see the moderators removed a malcontent's reviews of Montreal. Not that negative comments are not deserved from time to time but venom and character assination are not welcome.

Anyone interested in visiting that fine city should just go ahead and do so. It's a fine place with lots of diversion to interest anyone's curiosity.

Hockey, fashion, food, nightlife, romance, jazz, comedy, food, smoked meat, bagels, food, lovely pretty women, outside/sidewalk cafés, culture and oh so many more things.

Did you know that Montreal was the launching place for an industry that was responsible for the development of the rest of Canada? It was, and that industry was the beaver pelt. Imagine that, a lowly beaver pelt.

Anyway, visit Montreal and enjoy the "joy of living" as Quebecers have come to be known by.

BarCart

BarCart..... Which Deli is your favorite for smoked meat? Do you like Dunn's? We once went to Swartz's (sp?) and didn't really like it there but the line out front indicated many people think it's great.

As a former Montrealer and english speaking at that; the best smoked meat is at Schwartz's on Boul St Laurent. Dunn's, although has good smoked meat, is better known for it's suberb cheesecake. The other "foodie must" or deli food is Fairmount Bagels on Fairmount Ave.

My DH, who is not a native Montrealer (Torontonian) suggests for a deli food feast; go to Fairmount, late afternoon, get bagels for next morning.s breakfast, then walk to Schwartz's, a few blocks only, have an early dinner before it gets too crowded, then walk to Dunn's to burn off the smoked meat in time for dessert at Dunn's.

Never done all of it all at once myself, but certainly each individually.

What ever you decide to do in Montreal, include at least one food stop as the food is marvelous in this city and has such diversity, can satisfy anyone's taste.

If I could only spend one day in Montreal, and wanted to eat there, personally, I'd head to old Montreal to a french restaurant to experience the best in french cuisine. The atmosphere and cuisine cannot be beat.

Enjoy.

Cruisepucks

Thanks so much for all the talk of Montreal - just booked a cruise there in the Fall. Have been to Montreal once in the Winter, yes, Winter! I loved the underground shopping! What a smart city to put shopping underground so that you aren't exposed the the elements. We were there to see Phantom of the Opera. It was lovely and I can't wait to return again.

Thanks, Cruisepuck. We were at Dunn's last year and DH love his sandwich but never thought to have cheesecake. We just might have to treat ourselves to a tiny taste of that sinful treat. Thanks for the recommendations.

Schwartz's sandwiches were good (and huge) but I didn't like the way they have the packed in, shared table business. I felt they were throwing food at us and timing us to be sure we didn't take too long eating it. I never eat that sort of food so I was barely picking at my sandwich with full intention of giving it to the others in our party. The waiter kept glaring at me to 'eat up'. :(

Does anyone have any suggestions about hotels near the port? Or is it better to stay out at the airport and just take a cab in the next day?

Nooo, please don't stay at the airport. Stay reasonably near Old Montreal and enjoy a delightful evening in that area. Fabulous restaurants, music, lovely to stroll and VERY near the dock.

Does anyone have any suggestions about hotels near the port? Or is it better to stay out at the airport and just take a cab in the next day?

Given your late arrival, I'd suggest staying at the airport's Hilton and taking a cab the next morning. The ride to port shouldn't take more than about one hour.

Although not a five star place, the airport Hilton it is nonetheless an OK place. If you can go a day earlier though, do stay downtown near Old Montreal where you'll enjoy the historical buildings, restaurants and flavour of what was once the financial capital of Canada.

Streets are save to walk, people are freindly and welcoming of visitors.

Regardless, I hope you stay, short or otherwise, is pleasant.

BarCart

BarCart..... Which Deli is your favorite for smoked meat? Do you like Dunn's? We once went to Swartz's (sp?) and didn't really like it there but the line out front indicated many people think it's great.

Well,

I'd like to welcome everyone here to an ongoing debate amongst Montrealers, both about Montreal's smoked meat and its other famous offering, the bagel. Regarding both, let me first state that I'm over 60 and go back a long way in the city of my birth and upbringing.

When I first started eating smoked meat, the sandwiches cost $0.35. With that you got a pickle, cole slaw and fries. Now the same thing costs over $15.00.

I remember the old man himself, Mr. Dunn, standing at the door in a suite and tie. He'd welcome his guests and whether you were a newcomer or an old time customer, you were made to feel like your visit was something special. Even the waitresses at the counter treated you as though you were there just yesterday.

I always ordered a medium (the taste is in the fat, don't you know) or Possible as it was known in their parlance. And, customary in all of my consumption of smoked meat, cherry coke. Then the cherry coke was hand drawn by the "soda jerk".

Over the years, Dunns has always remained my preference in smoked meat sandwiches. The sandwiches were generous, moist and tender while the atmosphere welcoming.

Sadly some time ago, old man Dunn died and eventually the business was bought out by a stranger. The name remained while the delicious meat suffered a little, in my opinion and though there are several Dunns Famous Smoked Meat eateries out there, it just is not the same product.

Today, I satisfy my desire for smoked meat wherever I can and enjoy it. The old taste is permanently etched in my taste bud's brain which helps me regardless of where I eat it.

Bagels, well, I'll go for the St. Viator variety. Both that and Fairmont offer a fine product but side by side, for my taste buds, the former is the bagel of choice. There is absolutely nothing anywhere in the world that compares to the Montreal bagel. Crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside with a little sweetness thrown in. Everything else is just bread with a hole in the middle.

Best fresh and still warm, toasting it the next day with a shmear of plain cream cheese or that topped with smoked salmon makes a fine breakfast. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

BarCart

We are taking air from HAL and have a "forced overnight" because we are coming from Phoenix. I don't consider the overnight to be forced because I would have come in a day ahead anyway to see the city!

Hal's hotel thay have us staying at is the Delta Montreal. I think it is downtown - is that correct? I looked at the web site and it looks quite nice. Any info anyone might have to offer would be appreciated. :)

Do you have any idea how far it is to the port?

Thanks, but if we don't get in til 10:30pm we'll probably have to forego the fun stuff that night and plan the opposite route for next year, ending in Montreal and spending an extra day.

There are a number of hotels near the airport (Dorval). Its about a

20 minute ride to the old port . once off the plane in the lobby there

is a phone board to call for a free pick up to the various hotels near the airport. Hilton or the Holiday inn or the marritt would be ideal and they do not charge per person for the room. about $ 120.00 would be about right for a room for the night. welcome to montreal. All hotels speak french or english.

Earl M......

Please share your opinion about the smoked meat Deli's. The posts here about them have been wonderful and I appreciate the posters sharing their info. What is your favorite?

Sail -- or anyone else from the Boston area -- have you ever driven to Montreal for the cruise? If so, how long did it take, especially the border crossing?

I'm considering driving instead of flying -- seems like once you factor in getting to the airport 90-120 minutes ahead of the flight, it wouldn't take that much longer to drive, and would be far more comfortable and we wouldn't have to worry about how much luggage we can bring.

I've driven to Boston from QC several times. Usually takes us about 7 hours, so Boston-Montreal should be about 5-5 1/2 hours. You have 2 choices of where to cross: either go via 93/91 and cross at Rock Island/Derby Line, or 89 thru Burlington VT and cross at Philipsburg/Highgate Springs. The latter is shorter - and probably less traffic at the border - but there is a part of the trip on the QC side on single lane highway. The other is a bit longer but on double-lane highway all the way to Montreal.

You have 2 choices of where to cross: either go via 93/91 and cross at Rock Island/Derby Line, or 89 thru Burlington VT and cross at Philipsburg/Highgate Springs. The latter is shorter - and probably less traffic at the border - but there is a part of the trip on the QC side on single lane highway. The other is a bit longer but on double-lane highway all the way to Montreal.

Thanks. Will probably opt for shorter route. No tie-ups at the border nowadays on the Vermont/Quebec crossings?

Archived