I don't understand what fuel surcharge means

rjf32

I booked a cruise today and I was charged $5 per day per passenger for a fuel surcharge. However, I have read some posts saying that people are getting this money back. Can someone please explain to me how this works.

The people that booked before there was a surcharge were then charged if they had not all ready paid in full. Due to them having a contract that didn't include the fuel surcharge the cruise line broke the contract and therefore were not able to charge the extra money retroactively. However the fuel surcharge has been in place since november therefore you knew about it before you entered into the contract and chose to accept the terms including the surcharge so you will not be getting a refund.

To be honest I don;t understand what it means either. It was a way to increase the prices of those who already booked, to account for the increased cost of the fuel. But then they had to crediot those that had booked before it was annouced. Why not just increase everyone's fare when they book now?

To be honest I don;t understand what it means either. It was a way to increase the prices of those who already booked, to account for the increased cost of the fuel. But then they had to crediot those that had booked before it was annouced. Why not just increase everyone's fare when they book now?

I also don't understand why they don't do this and stop mentioning anything about a fuel surcharge - just increase the prices. Oil prices are sure not going to go back down anytime soon. However, I would imagine they keep mentioning it so they can add more to the surcharge later if oil keeps rising.

I think they do it as a fuel surcharge because it is not commissionable to the Travel Agents. If they increase the cost of the cruise they have to pay more to their agents.

I just paid my deposit on my 2009 cruise and I was charged the fuel surcharge.

jc

you may not see it in print, but jsut about everything you do today involves a fuel surcharge. The truck company that delivered your food to the grocery store charges a fuel surcharge. That gift you sent to a niece via UPS had a surcharge added to the delivery cost.....etc,etc,etc.

I think they do it as a fuel surcharge because it is not commissionable to the Travel Agents. If they increase the cost of the cruise they have to pay more to their agents.

I just paid my deposit on my 2009 cruise and I was charged the fuel surcharge.

jc

That is correct. This is part of the non-commissionables although it's listed seperately.

Marilyn

Basically, its a marketing ploy so they can advertise a lower price and then charge you more when you actually pay. Works just like the airlines and just about anything else that uses petroleum distillery products like gas, diesel, bunker fuel, etc. in a transportation mode. They seem to think we believe the "surcharge" is only temporary.

I assume eventually they will go away and be included in the advertised price but not until there are enough complaints from customers.:p

Cheers

I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong, but the way their new contract reads, they can pass on the fuel surcharge to new & existing reservations, even if paid in full. If they added the surcharge to the base fare and needed to increase the fare because of an increase in the fuel surcharge part, by contract, they could not charge already booked passengers. If I am not corect in this assumption, please let me know.

Gregg

I believe you are correct, but they instituted the new contract at the same time as they instituted the fuel surcharge. They have decided to refund to those that booked before the new changes.

I can't imagine anyone who reads this forum even casually can be not up to speed on this overly discussed topic.:eek:

jc

I believe you are correct, but they instituted the new contract at the same time as they instituted the fuel surcharge. They have decided to refund to those that booked before the new changes.

I can't imagine anyone who reads this forum even casually can be not up to speed on this overly discussed topic.:eek:

jc

I guess the point I was trying to make is that as of 11/16? when the new fuel surcharge/contract went into effect, from that point forward if they need to adjust the fuel surcharge, they have the right to increase it and charge even current deposited cruisers for the increase. If my assumption is correct, and they can now do this per contract, you could be leaving on a fully paid cruise this weekend and could be hit with an additional fuel surcharge. Is that how you understand the wording on the new contract to mean??

Gregg

The contract is worded completely in favor of the cruiseline. Yes, I believe you are correct.

Since, I didn't enter into negotiation with the cruiseline on the contract I just agreed to when I booked my cruise, I really don't pretend that I have any actual control over the terms of the contract. If entering into such a contract is not something you can comfortably do, then I think you should consider another kind of vacation.

jc

The contract is worded completely in favor of the cruiseline. Yes, I believe you are correct.

Since, I didn't enter into negotiation with the cruiseline on the contract I just agreed to when I booked my cruise, I really don't pretend that I have any actual control over the terms of the contract. If entering into such a contract is not something you can comfortably do, then I think you should consider another kind of vacation.

jc

I agree with you completely. It is good that you have pointed that out, because I am sure that if ever came to RCI increasing the surcharge at the last moment, there will be people screaming their heads off about it. I understand why they have to protect themselves. I am in construction here in FL and we have had fuel surcharges on almost all of our suppliers deliveries for a couple of years. That is just part of business now. As I am awaiting next years schedule to come out for our Adventure OTS cruise, I will be booking knowing I could be hit with an additional surcharge at any time after booking. That is a chance I am willing to take, but somebody else probably isn't and should think of another type of vacation as you have stated.

Gregg

Archived