A costly lesson learned

nstr

Well I have been on the RCCL site everyday to see if the upgrade fairy visited me LOL and low and behold while browsing the site I saw that the price dropped on my cabin by 50.00 per person. I can't do anything about it since I booked thru **** and they only honor cheaper prices if found online within 24 hours of booking. I booked 2 months ago. I learned my lesson. Next time I will book direct with RCCL.

We set sail on the GOS 3/31 - Can't wait !!!!!! Oh and I hope this info helps someone who booked directly thru RCCL. Insides and OV have dropped substantially - good luck !

This is good to know. Thanks for posting, but I am sorry that this happened to you. However $50pp isn't THAT much money, but it would be enough to make me a little upset too. :o

I booked through the RCCL website after debating **** and **** and several of "bargain" websites, however I just feel more comfortable booking directly through the ship, especially after hearing this.

The lesson you should have learned is not to book through that agency again.:rolleyes: Plenty of good TAs will honor price decreases and offer you good service, information and expertise. They will also be able to advise you if another line is offering a similar itinerary for a lower price, something that the RCI CSR will not do. I wouldn't let the shortcomings of one agency color your opinion of all TAs. :)

I'm on your side, we ONLY book direct unless its something that is sold out and only TA have blocks of cabins. Even then I don't like not having control of my bookings. ;)

Another reason I like booking direct is RC is open 7 days a week, can't say that for a lot of TA's.

You just picked the wrong TA. Mine does price drops even after final payment. I get great service and incentives to book. SHe handles it all and I have never had any issues. The agency is open 7 days a week from 9 am-8pm. SHe only works m-f but anyone there will help if I catch a price reduction.Has happened to me many times and I have had no problems.

Can't you cancel your booking with you TA and rebook with RCCL? I would call them and see and if you can, then give them a choice to either change or they will loose out on what they would make on your booking.

We have been using a TA that will let us change rooms, give any discounts etc.

Might be good to look into.

Can't you cancel your booking with you TA and rebook with RCCL? I would call them and see and if you can, then give them a choice to either change or they will loose out on what they would make on your booking.

They are after final payment date and they may even be in the 100% penalty phase since their cruise leaves next week. The penalties for cancelling and rebooking would be more than the price drop.

Last year I paid the Hawaii cruise off about 3 weeks before the payment and would't you know 2 weeks later there was a FL resident didscount for Ca Hawaii cruise si my TA who is AAA got us $500 off. It was a balcony cabin so with my diamond discount it was a really good deal.

Lexi

Sorry to hear you have a TA who won't honor price drops...now you know another question to ask when you are looking for your next TA... there are some great ones out there but it takes a little research to find them...

I wouldn't be without my TA... I have her cell # and have called her after hours, weekends and she is always ready to answer questions, switch cabins or get price drops.

We can't mention specific travel agencies. I can say I always book through a local travel agent, but I can't say I book through Jane Smith at ABC Travel for example. And I can't say I had issues with Bob Jones at www.xyzcruises.com (not a real place, just an example), but I can say that I once booked through an online agency and had issues with that booking.

We always book direct since I want control over my reservation. then right before final payment I xfer to a TA I found that so far I really like, just to get the xtra OBC's. She gave us $200 for our upcoming Liberty Cruise, so that was fantastic.

When searching for a T.A. I asked right up front a few questions which helped me make my decision whether to use them or not...

1) Do they charge a cancellation fee at any time. Friends were charged a $75.00 and had the reservation for less than 24 hours.

2) Do they honor price drops ... and give you the entire amount of the price drop. We've been given only a portion of a price drop from an agency.

3) Do they have any fees for changing a reservation.

I'm sure others have even more questions to ask but I've found that by booking directly thru Royal Caribbean has been just fine and sometimes I'll transfer the booking to an T.A. at some point.

Last year I paid the Hawaii cruise off about 3 weeks before the payment and would't you know 2 weeks later there was a FL resident didscount for Ca Hawaii cruise si my TA who is AAA got us $500 off. It was a balcony cabin so with my diamond discount it was a really good deal.

Lexi

Great Lexi, I've never seen a rate drop for Hawaii....I check at least twice a day!!! Even up to the last day its open for sale and nothing! :(

So maybe there's hope after all......until then I will keep'on checking! ;)

I might not give up with that current TA. Last year I booked directly online with RC, but a friend of mine booked through a TA. When I got my first price drop, her TA wouldn't honor it, then I read here that quite a few of you who book thru a TA have received price drops. When I got my 2nd price drop for the same cruise, I called my friend, and she called her TA and told her what I'd read here, and she got her price drop.

It's worth a shot.

Archived