Zipline

karenw

I went ziplining last time I was in St. Marteen and loved it. My next cruise will be on the Glory and I want to try it again. There's a zipline excursion in Roatan and Cozumel. Which is better?

I went ziplining last time I was in St. Marteen and loved it. My next cruise will be on the Glory and I want to try it again. There's a zipline excursion in Roatan and Cozumel. Which is better?

We were contemplating this on an upcoming cruise but after that woman died in Roatan I'll stick to something more sedate.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=741890&highlight=zipline

Bill

I did not zipline in Cozumel, but did in Roatan--I booked through the cruise line, but saw many posts on my roll call about Victor Bodden in Roatan. I did some research on this and did not do it in Belize because it required climbing straight up on a ladder 20 feet. While I had no issues getting harnessed onto a cable and zipping through the tree tops--something about that 20 ft straight up bothered me!!

Also--saw photos of zipline at beach--where you go way high up and its one big long zip down to the shore. That freaked me out as well. It was an experience for sure--but tree to tree through the rainforest was just more appealing to me and my group. We zipped like 14 times from beginning to end. Do not know if that is the case in Cozumel, but at least I am giving you some information to go on and research depending on your preferences!

In Roatan through Carnival it was $91 and included a private beach, which all 20 of us agreed was the best day on our cruise. Not only was the beach gorgeous and private, but the swimming and snorkeling right from the beach was awesome. There were bathrooms, showers, a bar/restaurant, gift shop and no pressure for sales anywhere. It included chaise lounges and water, iced tea and lemonade all day. Transportation to and from the ship at your leisure as well.

And BTW if you get scared (like I did)--they call you a "taxi" (so called because of the yellow helmuts everyone wears while zipping??) and that guy goes with you on each line. I did three and I was scared to death and shaky--wanted to get off, but they sent Mario out with me and this kid was a doll!! (Apparently a lot of men are Mario in Roatan--for real?? or they just have names they don't think we can say??) I thoroughly enjoyed it then, and I would have left if it were not for him!!

ok--I saw that about the woman who died after I did my post. Mine through the cruise line was at South Shore, not Pirates. I do not know where Victor Bodden goes, but if you check the ports of call threads for Roatan you will certainly see many posts about him.

I will tell you that where I went they were adament about safety--they harnessed you, they put the harness on the zip and they told you not to touch any of it. If you felt your gear was not fitted properly, they said to tell them and they would adjust it.

We were contemplating this on an upcoming cruise but after that woman died in Roatan I'll stick to something more sedate.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=741890&highlight=zipline

Bill

I knew somebody would bring this up!

We used shoretrips ($57) @ Roataan 2 weeks ago and the gear was new, safe and the trip was fantastic. While unfortunate, I believe what happened was a freak accident. Take your camera-There are some spectacular views. Go enjoy!

I knew somebody would bring this up!

We used shoretrips ($57) @ Roataan 2 weeks ago and the gear was new, safe and the trip was fantastic. While unfortunate, I believe what happened was a freak accident. Take your camera-There are some spectacular views. Go enjoy!

I'm sure it was a freak accident and very sad. Chances are probably 99.9% it won't happen again.

Just knowing it did happen would always be in the back of my mind and would take away from the fun for ME.

Of course I brought it up. Was I supposed to keep quiet about it? If I was asking about ziplining I'd like to know EVERYTHING, not just the fun parts.

Not trying to scare anyone off, just trying to inform.:)

Bill

Archived