Why so many different opinons

This has probably been addressed before, but I always wonder how different people who go on the same ship, same dates can have so many different opinions about the same cruise.

The last time I went on a cruise about 4 years ago I had just found out about cruise critic and by the time I went on the ship, EOS when it departed from FL, I was convinced that I was going to have a miserable time.

It ended up being one of the best vacations I have ever been on.

I am finding the same thing this time around. My parents, aunt, (all in their 80's), husband and I are going on Splendour of the Seas on May 10 leaving out of Venice.

I have read a ton of reviews, ( I try to look at the ones just in the past year) and it amazes me how varied the opinions are of the rooms, entertainment, food-esp the food, activities, excursions, etc.

Isn't it amazing how people have so many different expectations and opinions? Just food for thought. Have a great day everyone.

It's kind of the glass half empty or half full thing, too!

There are just some people who complain about every little thing, and actually look for those things, to complain about. And then there are those who can put things in perspective and go with the flow! Which one are you?;)

I think each person's vacation is what they make of it!

For me, my May cruise will be a new experience, as this will be my first cruise ever. However from checking out these boards, I am hoping that I will have learned enough not to be overwhelmed. =o)

I am not a picky person to please, having said that though, I do expect certain luxuries on my trip. For example, I want the food and drinks to be tasty and plentiful, however I don't mind if the wine selection isn't that extensive.

I try to focus on the positive.

i think the more you cruise the more picky you get with what you want. not saying it like its a bad thing either but the more you cruise the more you know what you want and if you dont get it you get upset.

FOOD is a big one. the way i see it is there are kids starving everywhere around the world im just happy i get to eat as much as i want.

if you ask a first time cruiser right after they got off the ship 9/10 times they will say its the best time ever.

unless an event happend that were very bizzare out of their control.

but if the cruise was on course they eat hung out with friends (maybe drink too much) and everything else cruises involve how could they say htey had a bad time.

am i the only one that thinks like this.

Everyone's perception is his or her own reality...Opinions are as many and varied as the stars! Guess that's why Baskin-Robbins has 33 different flavors;) !

And what is their most popular flavor? ;)

VANILLA! :eek: :D

I think alot of it depends on one's past experience also. For instance, we've cruised on the Brilliance three times in the past. All 11 day cruises about the same time of year.

First time, couldn't have been better from the food to the service to the entertainment, basically everything was close to perfect.

The very next year, we boarded with high expectations, looking forward to the same quality service and food. Due to staff changes, this was not the case. Food in general was less than banquet food, service had slipped, bartenders were not as "friendly", entertainment was quite poor.

After a year of taking a land based vacation as opposed to a cruise, we decided to give the Brilliance another try because of the Panama Canal itinerary. We again boared, this time with lower expectations and had the best cruise ever. Absolutly no complaints about anything. Food was fantastic, even better than the night we dined at Chops, which I thought was just OK and the service wasn't on par with our waiter and asst. waiter in the regular dining room.

Our Head waiter even came in while we were in Chops to check and make sure we were being taken care of (we let them know the night before we would not be in the dining room the next night) and really had to tell him it was fine, but not as good. He seemed have a little smile after that remark. This fall we'll be back on the Brilliance and it is going to be tough to again board the ship while trying to keep our expectations realistic. Only time will tell......

Aubie

Viva la difference! ;)

It depends on what you focus on. For example, I had a great time recently on the Vision and would certainly recommend the cruise. However, a few minutes ago I posted a fairly critical post about the food in response to a specific question. From just that post it may have sounded like I was disappointed, which was not the case at all.

Expectations have a lot to do with it, too. I was talking to a cast member at Disney World recently who used to work in reservations there and he was telling me about how some people asked him the weirdest things, i.e. "Are the bedspreads in the hotel rooms blue? 'Cuz if there not blue, my vacation will be ruined!" Or, "What?! You serve Coke products?? But I only like Pepsi! Cancel my reservation!" He pointed out that Disney markets themselves as the most magical vacation ever, and since the average family has to save 5 years for a Disney vacation, they expect it to be magical... whatever their definition of magical is.

The way cruises and other resort-type vacations are marketed sets up a lot of expectations among customers. As the cruising market continues to try to appeal to a broader base of people (while keeping the actual cost of the product sold under control, of course), you're going to get a wider variety of expectations and opinions.

I agree with the OP that it's so interesting how two people can have such different cruising experiences. I think this is likely a combination of:

a. unrealistic expectations (good or bad resulting in over-exaggeration of experiences)

b. people don't know what to expect so it's great no matter what

c. some ppl are bound they are going to have a great or horrible time.

d. different personalities = different reactions to mishaps.

And not to put down Cruise Critic but, I think it takes some of the fun out of cruising when you know how everything is going to happen or you know the ins and outs of everything before you go, it takes a way a bit from the cruise experience IMHO. It's hard not to want to know everything though, and researching is part of the fun. I just think if you know everything then it doesn't turn out exactly, then it's another disappointment to make it a bad experience for some people.

My parents went on cruises for many years (started when my dad the Rabbi got some chaplain deals) then my mom continued on her own after he was gone and she's almost 82. All I heard after every cruise through all the years was complaining :( - and yet she kept signing up :rolleyes: ! So her reviews (had she done them) would have been full of dislikes, but clearly she enjoys the experience. She's got tons of medals from (I think) Holland America.

Look at it this way....not everyone is going to enjoy their cruise. If you have 10 people, each person will have their own take on how much they did or did not enjoy the same trip.

Food is one area that is very subjective. What you like, I might hate. Not everyone will have food served at exactly the temperature they like or prepared exactly the way they want. Same thing when you go out to eat at a local restaurant.

When you have to worry is the time that the majority of the passengers agree that their sailing was bad!

Only a very small amount of passengers even know about Cruise Critic and post to it. There are many "lurkers" who read and do not post. Consider yourself more informed than the majority of passengers who sail because you know about Cruise Critic.

MARAPRINCE

I think a ship and it's crew can have the occasional bad cruise. We've been on the Monarch three times, two were good and one was horrible. Our cabin smelled like a sewer all week, our steward was the worst in our history and the most of the crew were crabby! That was on a first Monarch cruise and because we know things can vary from week to week we gave her another chance and it worked out.

###

This has probably been addressed before, but I always wonder how different people who go on the same ship, same dates can have so many different opinions about the same cruise.

The last time I went on a cruise about 4 years ago I had just found out about cruise critic and by the time I went on the ship, EOS when it departed from FL, I was convinced that I was going to have a miserable time.

It ended up being one of the best vacations I have ever been on.

I am finding the same thing this time around. My parents, aunt, (all in their 80's), husband and I are going on Splendour of the Seas on May 10 leaving out of Venice.

I have read a ton of reviews, ( I try to look at the ones just in the past year) and it amazes me how varied the opinions are of the rooms, entertainment, food-esp the food, activities, excursions, etc.

Isn't it amazing how people have so many different expectations and opinions? Just food for thought. Have a great day everyone.

I am not going to attempt to answer your question. My input to this thread is to tell you that we were on the Splendour last May that left out of Venice and I would say it was our favorite of all the cruises we've been on.

We were on the leg that stopped at Dubrovnik, Kusadasi (Ephesus), Santorini, and Corfu. Also, make sure you allow enough time to spend in Venice as well.

Tim

Make it easy on yourself, trust only my opinion! ;)

Some are easy to please, some virtually impossible.

Hehehe! No, trust only MINE! :D :D :D

That is SO true. I read someplace that some people thrive on complaining and the drama that ensues therefrom. To each his own. ;)

I totally agree with what you are saying! I think you just have to realize there are so many different kinds of people in this world. Some people are going to complain about everything. No matter if they had wonderful service, great weather, etc. Nothing is ever good enough for them. And then there are other people(like the most of us) who are just glad to get away and realize that sometimes mistakes are made and everything can't always be perfect. Just don't worry about the negatives and enjoy yourself. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

I've always said that Life..ahem...i mean- a cruise!... "is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get"

have you ever had an Entenmann's sampler? or any box of assorted chocolates? sure you have!

And sometimes you get a rock hard piece, and sometimes you get a jelly, or a cream!

Now, butter almond cream may not be your favorite, maybe you prefer a jelly ring! but honestly, has a chocolate covered butter almond cream candy ever upset you? not me. But amazingly, i know some folks that it would. I have a hard time being around such people, but i have some like this, very close to me.

It's sad, that some folks can't laugh and say...darn! i got a butter cream! and with a smile on their face anticipate the next piece, waiting, wondering what will be next.

As someone said before, "attitude...is everything".

If you loved Grand Cayman and hated Jamaica, or had a ball in St. Thomas, but didnt care for San Juan, If Mexican night gave you gas, and Italian night put a smile on your face...well...just look at it this way...

one day you can spend a week in Grand Cayman and eat Italian food. and one day you can order a whole box of Dark chocolate covered jelly rings.

but in the mean time, at the end of a cruise day...

you had chocolate!

i like chocolate....i like different things...I don't expect everything to be perfect every day of my life...and i LOVE cruising!

Archived