Sailing out of NY in the Winter

irv54

Hi all

We have been loyal Hal sailors for years and love departing from NYC in the winter. (No flights, no luggage restraints, can stay in NYC if we have extra time etc.) We also had almost 100 cruise critic members on board. HAL was very gracious. We actually had two meetings and HAL served hot snacks and drinks.

HAL has discontinued sailing out of NY in the winter. We are looking for a new winter cruise. Since we have not been happy with NCL, RCCL is a consideration.

Does anyone have any recommendations about the NY departure. The itineray is pretty much the same as HAL.

Hoping to hear from you

Hi all

We have been loyal Hal sailors for years and love departing from NYC in the winter. (No flights, no luggage restraints, can stay in NYC if we have extra time etc.) We also had almost 100 cruise critic members on board. HAL was very gracious. We actually had two meetings and HAL served hot snacks and drinks.

HAL has discontinued sailing out of NY in the winter. We are looking for a new winter cruise. Since we have not been happy with NCL, RCCL is a consideration.

Does anyone have any recommendations about the NY departure. The itineray is pretty much the same as HAL.

Hoping to hear from you

I too have sailed on NCL and was not impressed. RCI is my favorite line. There is something for everyone. Lots of activities for active people and also laid back people. Plus it is easier to leave out of NJ than NY.

We went out of Bayonne in December. We played in the snow on the pool deck before we sailed due to a storm that came through early in the morning and dumped about 5 inches of the white stuff. The seas can be rough though, we had waves crashing over deck 12 during a storm on the way south. Lots of people were sick in their cabins.

We love going out of Bayonne or Baltimore since we don't have to fly. A lot of people don't like to leave from up north in the winter because it takes a day to get to the warmer weather but that doesn't bother us.

Check out the Explorer of the Seas, out of Bayonne NJ - just a few miles south of NYC...we sailed in January, and enjoyed it!

We were on the Explorer in Jan. also, good weather then too! Great ship and cruise, we would do it again.

We loved sailing out of Cape Liberty and I enjoyed the Explorer of the Seas. It is so stress free not having to fly to a port. Definitely consider trying RCL.

Unforunately, if the cruise you choose is less than 7 days, there are no official meet and greets held on the ships, but Cruise Critic members usually arrange to do a Meet & Greet on their own. If you decide to cruise, join a roll call and I'll bet you'll meet up with plenty of fellow CC members.

I've sailed Noordam from midtown Manhattan and RCI out of Bayonne several times. The experience is fairly similar with the following 2 exceptions - 1) sailing from midtown is a much better experience, seeing the NYC skyline, especially at night; and 2) RCI Explorer does not have a covered pool like Noordam.

I much preferred Noordam, even with the super seniors... :eek:

RCL sails out of Bayonne, NJ NOT NYC. If you want to sail out of NY, check Princess who sails out of Red Hook, Brooklyn. You are docked right in front of the Statue of Liberty -- it is so close you can almost touch it! If QM2 is sailing from NY, then Princess will sail out of Manhattan since the QM2 is too large to fit in Manhattan.

Sailing out of Bayonne is fine but don't expect of good view of Manhattan. Only one ship at a time since there is only one pier in Bayonne -- same as in Red Hook. Sure beats flying!

I have sailed out of Bayonne last year on Celebrity. Now this year we are doing 2 sailings on the Explorer to 2 different destinations. Our 2nd sailing will be in November.

MARAPRINCE

Thanks

We are considering Explorer in February are only other choice is NCL so if we want to go out of NY area it has to be RCCL.

Is there an indoor pool on the explorer

Archived