Tipping Etiquette cab drivers

luvgreys

How much do you tip? I have only been in cabs in Europe, Mexico, and China. Believe it or not never in the United States. We are taking a cab from EWR to Times Square. I want to be sure that we have enough cash. Any estimates of the cab fee and tip advice?

Many thanks from a girl in the South!!

arrange for a car service to meet you its a set fee but its traditional to tip 15-20% same thing if you take a cab in NY City with the minimum tip of a dollar.

see http://www.carmellimo.com for coupons from EWR. A cab from EWR runs about $60-70 including tip and toll....

Ya know, I think this is the lady that asked how far it was from EWR to Manhattan yesterday. You stated 15 miles, which is true.

MAYBE we should point out that although it is ONLY 15 miles, those 15 miles are LONG, HARD miles, which can take a hour to traverse and involve crossing state lines.

Some people not familiar with the NYC area see 9 miles, 15 miles, etc and think it is like driving down the interstate 15 miles. The cost is very expensive from EWR to Manhattan, the time involved can be quite a little more than most would think and finding a cabbie willing to take you MAY take some time.

Two weeks ago, I had to ask seven cabbies before I found one willing to take me from Port Elizabeth back to my office in the Bronx. They can make more money staying in NJ for the time it takes to drive to the Bronx.

Ya know, I think this is the lady that asked how far it was from EWR to Manhattan yesterday. You stated 15 miles, which is true.

MAYBE we should point out that although it is ONLY 15 miles, those 15 miles are LONG, HARD miles, which can take a hour to traverse and involve crossing state lines.

Some people not familiar with the NYC area see 9 miles, 15 miles, etc and think it is like driving down the interstate 15 miles. The cost is very expensive from EWR to Manhattan, the time involved can be quite a little more than most would think and finding a cabbie willing to take you MAY take some time.

Two weeks ago, I had to ask seven cabbies before I found one willing to take me from Port Elizabeth back to my office in the Bronx. They can make more money staying in NJ for the time it takes to drive to the Bronx.

I agree that is why I think a pre arranged car service from EWR is better.

Actually mapquest says its 17 miles but they take the turnpike...me I take the Skyway...no trucks :).....

15 miles can take 15 minutes or an hour and a half....

Archived