Princess White Pass Railway tours question

katolb90

This is my first cruise so I am booking shore excursions through Princess and I wanted to know if the 'Lake Bennett Train and Stampeders Trek' tour takes the same rail route as the regular 'White Pass Scenic Railway' tour? I assume it does, but I want to make sure that the train part of the trip is does cover the same area (and more) as the regular 'White Pass Scenic Railway' tour. Has anyone done the 'Lake Bennett Train and Stampeders Trek' and how was it? Was the hiking and klondike highway part worth the extra expense?

We did the Lake Bennett trip last year through NCL, not Princess. We had a very enjoyable trip, with absolutely gorgeous scenery. You go by bus one way to Carcross and the other way via the train. Since we booked through NCL, we were in a big greyhound type bus, but with only about 16 passengers onboard and a wonderful tour guide. Even though she wasn't from Alaska (she was a student from BYU), she'd spent a lot of time doing research and had a lot of information about the Skagway area and the gold rush days. We were lucky enough to see two bears -- one on the way up and another on the way down, that added to our enjoyment of the trip.

Having said that, I'd recommend Chilkoot tours. We had others from our roll-call who used them. They used much smaller buses, with large windows for viewing. The scenery from the train was gorgeous. I've got lots of pictures in the link from my signature line. Here's a view of Lake Bennett from the area near the train station to give you an example of the scenery: 2188949640060502137S500x500Q85.jpg

We did the Lake Bennett trip last year through NCL, not Princess. We had a very enjoyable trip, with absolutely gorgeous scenery. You go by bus one way to Carcross and the other way via the train. Since we booked through NCL, we were in a big greyhound type bus, but with only about 16 passengers onboard and a wonderful tour guide. Even though she wasn't from Alaska (she was a student from BYU), she'd spent a lot of time doing research and had a lot of information about the Skagway area and the gold rush days. We were lucky enough to see two bears -- one on the way up and another on the way down, that added to our enjoyment of the trip.

Having said that, I'd recommend Chilkoot tours. We had others from our roll-call who used them. They used much smaller buses, with large windows for viewing. The scenery from the train was gorgeous. I've got lots of pictures in the link from my signature line. Here's a view of Lake Bennett from the area near the train station to give you an example of the scenery: 2188949640060502137S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photo. We are booked with Chilkoot and I cant wait!!!

There are 2 or 3 types of Chillkoot tours, some 3 1/2 hours and another 7 and then longer. Taking 2 boys... 18 & 15, Now I know my boys would like pretty scenery, but I am wondering, if that is too long. The 7 hour one I mean. I don't think I would mind it, My nephew 16 and brother and SIL are going too. Just trying to decide how much time to allow. Those of you that have done it, did you do the long tour or the shorter one???

Thanks

There are 2 or 3 types of Chillkoot tours, some 3 1/2 hours and another 7 and then longer. Taking 2 boys... 18 & 15, Now I know my boys would like pretty scenery, but I am wondering, if that is too long. The 7 hour one I mean. I don't think I would mind it, My nephew 16 and brother and SIL are going too. Just trying to decide how much time to allow. Those of you that have done it, did you do the long tour or the shorter one???

Thanks

We are planning a shorter tour in the morning followed by rock climbing for the kids in the afternoon (and flightseeing for DW and my mom).

Thanks

We did the longest one, where the train goes clear to or from Carcross. While we really enjoyed it, I don't know that I'd recommend it for teens, unless they appreciate either trains or history. On our first Alaskan cruise, with our kids (20 & 18 at the time) I didn't get a positive response out of the train excursion at all -- so we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake.

I think you may be right Ute Fan..

I think 3 hours will be good for my boys... I laughed about your positive response from your 20 & 18 yr olds or lack of...

BTW.. You are a Ute fan??? I like the Ute's, but we have 3 that have graduated from the Y.

Thanks for the help

I think you may be right Ute Fan..

I think 3 hours will be good for my boys... I laughed about your positive response from your 20 & 18 yr olds or lack of...

BTW.. You are a Ute fan??? I like the Ute's, but we have 3 that have graduated from the Y.

Thanks for the help

I know kids (including my great-nephew, who's about 14), who have always loved trains and would really enjoy the long train ride, but for most of them, it's not exciting enough. We are definitely Ute fans! My parents, my sisters and I all graduated from the U, and I knew several of the basketball players back in the late 70's/early 80's. We've had season basketball tickets for over 30 years. I won't hold your Y grads against you, though! :D

I won't hold your Y grads against you, though!...

I hope not... Besides 3 of my DD, I have had 5 nieces and nephews graduate from the Y and only 1 other one from the U. But our high school colors are Red and Gold, so one of my son's wears a red Utah sweatshirt to school sometimes.

I have to agree about the length of the train. I think it would be wonderful, but I think they would be a bit bored. Or probably sleep on it instead...

Well, are you going to Alaska this year?? Which cruise line.

We are doing Princess this June.....

We have 1 Y grad in the family (2, if you count his wife) and the rest of us bleed totally red!

We're not taking an Alaskan trip this year, unfortunately :( . We'd planned on doing a return trip on the Pearl with the kids (24 & 22), but other issues got in the way. My long-time employer closed down in December and I started a new job, but don't have enough vacation. My DS, age 24, will be spending the next two years in Tacoma, Washington (and I expect you can figure out what that means :D ), along with most of my money!

Archived