Playa Rincon Beach is SPECTACULAR!

lambs2

We just returned from our 9 day Southern Caribbean cruise on the NCL Jewel. Our first port of call was Samana, Dominican Republic. Since trhis was a tender port we almost decided just to stay on the ship as we had previously been to the capital city of Santo Domingo on an earlier cruise. But on our Roll Call they were looking for several more folks to share an indepoendent exursiuon to Playa Ricon beach. I statrted researching and found masny great descriptions of this isolated, pristine beach:

Playa Rincon

Conde Nast Traveler ranked this beach as one of the world's 10 best. It's so splendid, in fact, that many Dominicans refer to it as the most beautiful on the island. Over three miles long, Playa Rincon is surrounded by coconut palms and almond trees, not to mention a 2,000 foot mountain on one end. There is also Cano Frio, a river that meets the sea. You can take a dip in the ocean or river, they are both fantastic. Again, the best way to get to this isolated beach is by boat; a ride that is definitely worth it. (Boat rides are available from Las Galeras.)

Our excursion involved a long van ride from the port to Las Galeras and then a 15-20 minute boat ride to Playa Rincon beach. 10 of us were to split the set coast, but we had two no-shows so divided the extra cost among us eight. Still a great deal compared to any ship excursions! The water was clear and amazingly beautiful and we walked from one end of the beach to the other where the Cano Frio river meets the sea. AMAZINGLY beautiful beach!

The taxi plus the boat ride for 10 people was $220. I was not the one who arranged the excursion in advance but think that is right. Initially we were to pay $22. each, but with two no-shows :mad: the rest of us eight divided up the extra. It was worth the cost!! Chairs on the beach were rented to you for $4 for the day but I brought a single sheet and DH and I used that as our beach blanket saving our ship beach towels for drying off after swimming. I have some pics let me see if I can post on or two in a post to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from the Norwegian Jewel, and would have to agree that Playa Rincon was a beautiful beach. We booked the taxi and boat ride through Casa Dorado (http://www.casadoradodr.com), and were pleased with their service. There were 10 of us, and the cost was a very reasonable $24 each. Casa Dorado also offers whale watching, fishing and horseback riding trips.

There were 3 small restaurants at the beach that served drinks and chicken, fish, and lobster (prices ranged from $10-$18). The food was okay, but you had to wait about 30 minutes for them to cook it.

You can also get to Playa Rincon by taxi alone, but you have to drive about 45 minutes from Las Galeras over some rough terrain. I believe the cost was $120 for up to 8 people. NCL also offers an excursion that goes to this beach, but you only get to spend a little time here. We enjoyed the boat ride, and got a beautiful view of the coast line. We were told that some resort developers had bought large tracts of land in the area, so it may not be as pristine in the future.

NCL also offers an excursion that goes to this beach, but you only get to spend a little time here. We enjoyed the boat ride, and got a beautiful view of the coast line. We were told that some resort developers had bought large tracts of land in the area, so it may not be as pristine in the future.

Really??? Is that new? I didn't see it listed with the other excursions.

Really??? Is that new? I didn't see it listed with the other excursions.

I think it's called "Bike, Hike, and Kayak," for $59 each. We met some people on the beach who were on this excursion. They came on open air buses, and got to kayak off the beach.

BTW, although the whale watching season had been over for about 2 weeks (it's mid December to mid March), our boat captain said he saw a mother and calf just the day before we were there. And some people on our ship said they saw some whales as they were tendering back to the ship. We looked, but didn't see any whales ourselves.

Archived