Delta cancelling flights

LADYBUG34113

It sounds like the big fine the FAA hit Southwest Airlines last week got some people's attention. Looks like Delta and American are playing major catch-up on some things that might have previously been overlooked.

(This also brings home a basic cruise caveat: fly into the embarkation port the morning of your cruise at your own risk!)

And all I thought I had to worry about was weather when traveling! Wow. Is Delta checking these planes right away? Or is this something that will take a longer period of time? I am cruising next month and would like to be prepared for the worst...

It sounds like the big fine the FAA hit Southwest Airlines last week got some people's attention. Looks like Delta and American are playing major catch-up on some things that might have previously been overlooked.

(This also brings home a basic cruise caveat: fly into the embarkation port the morning of your cruise at your own risk!)

agree....

and, agree.

That's why I always fly in a day early, you never kow what can happen...I wonder how many cruisers were affected..I wonder if Cruise Insurance had to pay out a bundle,....and I wonder how many Ship's Captains made the decision to leave late in order to get as many guests aboard as possible....

To be clear AA complied with the AD when it was issued by the FAA originally, but since the SWA fine the FAA is CYAing themselves and the airlines have voluntarily ground aircraft to reinspect them. At no time was thee any safety issue with AA and likely DL MD80/S80 aircraft as a reult of this issue.

Gecko7:)

And all I thought I had to worry about was weather when traveling! Wow. Is Delta checking these planes right away? Or is this something that will take a longer period of time? I am cruising next month and would like to be prepared for the worst...

From what I read recently (trying to locate the article), Delta expects to have all of their planes inspected by Sunday (March 30th).

To be clear AA complied with the AD when it was issued by the FAA originally, but since the SWA fine the FAA is CYAing themselves and the airlines have voluntarily ground aircraft to reinspect them. At no time was thee any safety issue with AA and likely DL MD80/S80 aircraft as a reult of this issue.

Gecko7:)

cbs news just reported that AA and delta grounded the MD80s for inspections because inquiries into their inspections were made.

Don't know about this particular incident affecting you, but if you are flying Delta check your flight schedule regularly - they have been changing mine about once a week recently. Mostly not too bad but the first change was over 3 hours difference each way and non-stops changed to connections.:mad: They also didn't notify me - some people on our roll call figured it out since there were a bunch of us on the same flights. When I called Delta to re-book they told me to check my schedule online myself at least once a month for changes. Some good did come out of it - we had booked from Raleigh about 3 hours away to get the non-stops and cheaper flights and they allowed me to switch and fly from home at no charge since our flight changes were so drastic.

Delta just emailed me telling me that they cancelled my non-stop flight on May 3rd and booked me on a connecting flight... that leaves an hour earlier and gets home and hour and a half later!!!!!! I'm so mad! Fortunately we didn't spend a ton on the tickets, it was comparable in price to the other flights with connections. I tried to argue with them, but they only thing they can offer me is to cancel the reservation with no penalty...

Would they really need to cancel flights THAT far in advance to check wiring????

Delta just emailed me telling me that they cancelled my non-stop flight on May 3rd and booked me on a connecting flight... that leaves an hour earlier and gets home and hour and a half later!!!!!! I'm so mad! Fortunately we didn't spend a ton on the tickets, it was comparable in price to the other flights with connections. I tried to argue with them, but they only thing they can offer me is to cancel the reservation with no penalty...

Would they really need to cancel flights THAT far in advance to check wiring????

this far out, i wld think this has to be unrelated.

they probably don't have anywhere near a full plane and just feel like cancelling.

i would be surprised to find that the reason is that many aircraft are being taken out of commission due to these inspections and will therefore, be on line for repairs and thus, out of service. that does not seem likely.

everything they do is for money. if a flight is full, they are gonna get it out if there's any possible way they can. if a flight is empty, they are gonna squeeze you on another plane and cancel the flight.

this far out, i wld think this has to be unrelated.

they probably don't have anywhere near a full plane and just feel like cancelling.

i would be surprised to find that the reason is that many aircraft are being taken out of commission due to these inspections and will therefore, be on line for repairs and thus, out of service. that does not seem likely.

everything they do is for money. if a flight is full, they are gonna get it out if there's any possible way they can. if a flight is empty, they are gonna squeeze you on another plane and cancel the flight.

Not always - our nonstops were almost full and they got cancelled. Delta just decided to reduce the number of nonstops from Raleigh to FLL apparently. Nothing to do with the maintenance issues - this was a few weeks ago when I found out. When I called I told them the new times didn't work for me and that I'd have flown from my home airport if I'd wanted connecting flights so they offered to switch me at no charge. It actually worked out well since flights from here are triple what we paid originally. :D But I can see how major changes like that could really throw a wrench in people's plans if they didn't know about it or had booked specifically to avoid a certain airport (like Atlanta!) or because they were nonstop.

Check to see if they have any flights available that would suit your schedule better -even from another airport - I was able to switch flights pretty easily. Don't think your cancellation has anything to do with today's issues though.

Thank you for warning me about this. I do have a non-stop flight, same day as my trip ( I know- I should fly the day before- but I am helping to host my best friend's baby shower the day before, so it couldn't be helped!). I checked the status, and so far they changed the time by arriving 10 minutes later. I am glad I got travel insurance though!

Don't know about this particular incident affecting you, but if you are flying Delta check your flight schedule regularly - they have been changing mine about once a week recently. Mostly not too bad but the first change was over 3 hours difference each way and non-stops changed to connections.:mad: They also didn't notify me - some people on our roll call figured it out since there were a bunch of us on the same flights. When I called Delta to re-book they told me to check my schedule online myself at least once a month for changes. Some good did come out of it - we had booked from Raleigh about 3 hours away to get the non-stops and cheaper flights and they allowed me to switch and fly from home at no charge since our flight changes were so drastic.

They did offer me a change - but the only other flight they could offer was at 10am... Too early to get off the cruise. We are flying from New Orleans to Boston - there really isn't another airport we could fly out of since we won't have a car - we were going to take a shuttle to the airport. Oh well - at least we were scheduled late enough in the day that it really isn't a problem - just a pain... I was so excited for non-stop flights! I can't remember the last time I didn't have to stop someplace on my way home! So now my 3 hour flight is more like 5 1/2....

At least we planned on leaving late enough in the day that it's not an issue, and we fly back on Saturday so it doesn't mean getting up early the next day for work...

Thank you for warning me about this. I do have a non-stop flight, same day as my trip ( I know- I should fly the day before- but I am helping to host my best friend's baby shower the day before, so it couldn't be helped!). I checked the status, and so far they changed the time by arriving 10 minutes later. I am glad I got travel insurance though!

Hopefully I've saved someone a little hassle at least. :D Prior to this we've always flown US Air and have not run into the constant schedule changing (although I'm sure they may do it, too, but we havent' had major changes with them.) Maybe one shift of 10 or 15 minutes and that's it. I always just reconfirmed 48 hours a head like they said to and was fine. So I was kind of floored when I discovered how much they had changed my flights and given me no notice of it.

Im sure this is another issue and is probably related to their announce schedule reductions to erduce cost. The wiring inspections take about 2 hours and should be done by today or tomorrow.

Gecko7:(

Archived