Things to do within the first Six Hours onboard

First time cruiser here, and will be cruising soon on Freedom of Seas 4/13.

I'd like to know what are the top things that rookies like me won't know that they should be doing within the first six hours onboard.

Should I run not walk, to get reservations for portofino?

Should I head directly to the top deck to get a good view for when we pull out?

Should I run to the golf sim to get a tee time for my buddy and I?

Should I run to the massage place to get an appointment first?(Depnding on the cost of a massage onboard is?)

Thanks!

Although im traveling with a few more experienced cruisers, I am having a bit of anxiety getting ready for the big day.

Haven't yet sailed on Freedom, but in general, remember to pack a swimsuit or whatever else you might want to change into. Sometimes it's late in the day before your luggage arrives to your cabin. (For those of us who are partial to hitting the sunshine ASAP, it's a little comical to watch the folks exploring the ship, still in their traveling attire.)

Hope you enjoy cruising as much as the rest of around here.

Sam

Thats not anxiety, thats EXCITEMENT!

1- Portofino if you plan on making reservations.

(1a- drop your carry-ons @ your cabin if you can *1PM*)

2- Check your table in the DR (If it matters to you. It does to us)

3- Spa appointments if you're planning on any.

Then we finally make it to windjammer to have some lunch.

Scoping out the perfect vantage point if we need to do that (new ship or new port), then we do that later on. We personally dont find it the utmost important to do as soon as we board.

Important to know is if you dont have excursions planned and you plan on setting something up with RCI, @ 2PM the excursion desk opens. The line does get quite long.

Thats not anxiety, thats EXCITEMENT!

Important to know is if you dont have excursions planned and you plan on setting something up with RCI, @ 2PM the excursion desk opens. The line does get quite long.

We have already booked all the shore excursions through the web. That part of it should be all set.

Going with your suggestion of hitting portofino asap, do you know where I can lookup the formal nights in the DR? I'd hate to go pay to use portofino and miss lobster or something else good in the DR.

First time cruiser here, and will be cruising soon on Freedom of Seas 4/13.

I'd like to know what are the top things that rookies like me won't know that they should be doing within the first six hours onboard.

Should I run not walk, to get reservations for portofino?

Yes, if you want your preferred day and time.

Should I head directly to the top deck to get a good view for when we pull out?

Not really. The muster drill will happen first. Some people go up right after the muster drill. We returned our life vests to our room and then went up and still got a good "seat."

Should I run to the golf sim to get a tee time for my buddy and I?

No Clue.

Should I run to the massage place to get an appointment first?(Depnding on the cost of a massage onboard is?)

If you want a massage on a Sea Day, probably so. You could wait to see if there are port day specials. Massages are well over $100.

Thanks!

Although im traveling with a few more experienced cruisers, I am having a bit of anxiety getting ready for the big day.

If you haven't already, read the stickey thread FAQ for Royal Caribbean. It has a lot of good info for new comers.

Going with your suggestion of hitting portofino asap, do you know where I can lookup the formal nights in the DR? I'd hate to go pay to use portofino and miss lobster or something else good in the DR.

They have the DR menu at the door to Portofino when you go to make your reservation.

Rule of thumb is the first full day at sea is the Captains Gala/Welcome and the first formal night. Lobster night is mostly now seafood platter night ( or something like that..might be Fishermans...) if it is a 7night sail the second formal (known for lobster :rolleyes: ) is second to the last night.

First let me say, you really don't need to run anywhere. You'll have plenty of time to do what you need to do.

It won't be necessary to try to find the perfect spot for the sailaway since you'll have to show up for the muster drill before the ship even moves. After that you'll still have time to take your life jackets back to your cabin before heading up top. One word of warning, don't try to have a drink at every bar on the ship the first afternoon. It will lead to a bad case of the cocktail flu before you know it. (This I can tell you is a fact, been there, done that) :D

There will be several things all going on that afternoon, you can purchase a wine package for dinner if you like, make your reservations at the specialty restaurants, make your spa appts., etc. Just go with the flow and relax, that's what it's all about.

Aubie

They have the DR menu at the door to Portofino when you go to make your reservation.

After a lot of posts reading for exactly the same reaons as the OP this is the first time I have heard of this. We had assumed we should go first to the Dining room and, aside from finding table location, also check out menus there...THEN go to Chops and Portofino. The table location can wait and we will go to the speciality places first IF this is 100% the case on all ships. We have seen the typical 7-day menus posted and will have ranked them prior to leaving home so we ought to be able to select three evenings (on 12nt cruise) for a Chops and a couple Porofino nights.

Additional things we plan to do once onboard....(planning for 10:30-11am)

1. Scope out location of several venues; theater, Seaview Cafe, Solarium, etc... learn the layout of the ship...as if we ahv enot spent hours memorizing the deck plans already. ;)

2. Head to Windjammer for lunch

3. At soon as we can get in stateroom (1pm or so) head there to see if luggage has been delivered

4. Organize stateroom and pull out lifevests for muster drill later

5. Find copy of Compass and read

6. Perhaps meet stateroom attendant, find out where they are from and give them a $10 international phone card (small pre-tip)

7. At 90 min prior to departure (when "doors shut") check pursers office for upgrade availability from "no shows" if pier coordinator did not have anything.

8. Prepare and do for muster drill

9. Freshen up in stateroom for sailaway

10. Sailaway....probably with our roll-call group

11. Find Viking Crown lounge for pre-dinner (late seating) "refreshments"

And that concludes the first 6 hours. :D If anyone more experienced has insights to offer they would be very much welcomed.

sequim...

is this really the first time you've heard that the Portofino staff has the dining room menu?? They have to be able to accomodate the pax questions and every single pax seems to ask the same ? when they make Portofino reservations.. :rolleyes: for some reason noone wants to miss (Lobster) night, one would think it is a novelty. In any event, every time (2x on vos, 2x on eos) we have made reservations they have the menu right at the door- at the desk. Maybe it is not this way on all RCI ships that have specialty restaurants?

Also, what do you do to 'prepare' for the muster drill? :confused:

You know, on my first cruise, we were so excited, we explored the ship! It is such an amazing feeling being on a cruise ship for the first time. I would take a tour of the ship, get to know where everything is, while doing that you will be able to make reservations to Portifinos, take a tour of the spa (they offer that), check out the dinning room and find your table, etc....sample some of the liquor on the Promenade.

I have sailed four times and have not once ate at Portifinos. :eek:

Sequim88

"7. At 90 min prior to departure (when "doors shut") check pursers office for upgrade availability from "no shows" if pier coordinator did not have anything."

This is interesting. I didn't know about this! Tell me more! Have you been upgraded? What is the cost? :)

If your cabin is ready, drop off your carry-on luggage. Make sure the toilet flushes, the beds are arranged to your liking (since I cruise with my sister we have had, in the past, had to ask our cabin steward to separate them), the phone is working and if you have a balcony make sure you have a table and two chairs.

Grab a bite to eat, check out your table assignment, make any reservations to specialty restaurants early, take a tour of the ship and most important find out where your muster station is ahead of time.

Then sit back and enjoy the beginning of a wonderful week.

:cool: Assuming that you are on board by noon, head to chops and/portofinos and make reservations. Try both. Check room see if ready. Head to windjammer for lunch. After lunch unpack if available. Take tour, pick out good bar (should scope out ahead of time on website). Leave good tip and establish relationship with bartender. Comes in handy. Attend muster, get great drink and enjoy sailaway.:cool: Don't check seat at main dining room--it'll be there when you get there. Explore.

We like to board the ship as early as possible, drop off our carry-ons in the cabin, and then go explore the ship before it gets crowded. Make reservations in Chops and Portofino, and have lunch in Windjammer. And have a few drinks before dinner!

I also like to unpack as soon as bags are in the cabin, so then I can really relax and begin my vacation!

We do all the things mentioned above, but I have to tell you if you are going on one of the bigger ships, you can wear yourself out running all around the ship trying to do everything on those lengthy lists above.

At minimum check where your main dining room table is and make reservations at the alternative restaurants and spa if you are iinclined to do either. We always check out the theater to see what seats are the best if we haven't cruised on a similar ship before.

You can't go to your room before 1:00PM, but once you can, it is a good time to put away what is in your carry on bags and check to find out where your muster station is. Muster is a required activity, so you will be forced to make time for that. It is usually an hour before the ship departs.

Don't overdo, though. Things have a way of working themselves out in due time on a cruise.

1. RELAX with drink in hand and watch everyone else run all over the place. :D

I AM SO WITH YOU!!! We go to the pool deck, get our loungers (change into suits if we did not wear them on the ship), order our first drink, and DO NOTHING!!!. DH usually walks to WJ to grab a snack and bring me back some fruit. After a couple of hours will check to see if any luggage has arrived. Other than that, we pretty much lay on our loungers, enjoy the sunshine and drinks and watch the world go by!

Personally, since we are flexible, have never had trouble getting a good time in the specialty restaurants, we don't do spa or anything like that, so no need to run all over the ship getting things done the first day.

After a lot of posts reading for exactly the same reaons as the OP this is the first time I have heard of this. We had assumed we should go first to the Dining room and, aside from finding table location, also check out menus there...THEN go to Chops and Portofino. The table location can wait and we will go to the speciality places first IF this is 100% the case on all ships. We have seen the typical 7-day menus posted and will have ranked them prior to leaving home so we ought to be able to select three evenings (on 12nt cruise) for a Chops and a couple Porofino nights.

Additional things we plan to do once onboard....(planning for 10:30-11am)

1. Scope out location of several venues; theater, Seaview Cafe, Solarium, etc... learn the layout of the ship...as if we ahv enot spent hours memorizing the deck plans already. ;)

2. Head to Windjammer for lunch

3. At soon as we can get in stateroom (1pm or so) head there to see if luggage has been delivered

4. Organize stateroom and pull out lifevests for muster drill later

5. Find copy of Compass and read

6. Perhaps meet stateroom attendant, find out where they are from and give them a $10 international phone card (small pre-tip)

7. At 90 min prior to departure (when "doors shut") check pursers office for upgrade availability from "no shows" if pier coordinator did not have anything.

8. Prepare and do for muster drill

9. Freshen up in stateroom for sailaway

10. Sailaway....probably with our roll-call group

11. Find Viking Crown lounge for pre-dinner (late seating) "refreshments"

And that concludes the first 6 hours. :D If anyone more experienced has insights to offer they would be very much welcomed.

I would switch #s 1 and 2. Assuming you get on as soon as possible, the Windjammer gets crowded. The first thing I do is head to the cabin, (you can open the firedoors to the hallway and walk to your cabin. Try to find your stateroom attendant and ask if it is okay to put your carryons in the room and lock it up.) then head up to the Windjammer and stake out a window seat. Once we are settled with the food, I just walk to the front and make reservations at Chops and Portofino. Right after lunch hit the spa for appointments and the fitness center to sign up for any classes you might want like spin, pilates, etc. then go ahead and explore the ship.

sequim...

is this really the first time you've heard that the Portofino staff has the dining room menu?? They have to be able to accomodate the pax questions and every single pax seems to ask the same ? when they make Portofino reservations.. :rolleyes: for some reason noone wants to miss (Lobster) night, one would think it is a novelty. In any event, every time (2x on vos, 2x on eos) we have made reservations they have the menu right at the door- at the desk. Maybe it is not this way on all RCI ships that have specialty restaurants?

Also, what do you do to 'prepare' for the muster drill? :confused:

Yes, I never had seen that posted before. But it really does make a lot of sense.

Muster drill is a little more complicated for DW so we "trial run" the lifevest. Her right arm does not work real well (but lately better than ever!) and we also try it with her sitting in her wheelchair. Better than finding gotchas at last minute. We also plan route and figure if we need to use an elevator.

Sequim88

"7. At 90 min prior to departure (when "doors shut") check pursers office for upgrade availability from "no shows" if pier coordinator did not have anything."

This is interesting. I didn't know about this! Tell me more! Have you been upgraded? What is the cost? :)

Well...never tried it but we have a specialy interest in any avenue to getting a wheelchair stateroom. We had one originally, inside, and made a very deliberate decision to switch to a balcony gaurantee. So, not really looking for an upgrade as much as seeing if there is a last minute vacant balcony wheelchair stateroom. By reading many other threads it appears to me the best route is to check with pier coordinator after checking in and, failing this, wait for the 90 minute before departure "must be on board" deadline and see if someone failed to show up.

There have been several threads with prices (for 7 day) for pier upgrades (for unsold inventory) but also state that no-show upgrades are at a higher rate. Pier upgrades (if available) seem to be on the order to $200/category and are per stateroom NOT per person. As I said we ar enot as interested in an upgrade as the avialability of a shower with handrails. In the mean time the special needs dept at RCI have arranged to at least have a shower stool available in the regular balcony stateroom we have been assigned.

Archived