Things to do within the first Six Hours onboard

It is just a great feeling to walk around the ship for the first time. You are so in awe. And when the ship starts to move everyone asks the person around them "Are we moving?" For a very short time you think you are but not quite sure. On my first cruise on the Carnival Victory the ship started moving while we were in the Muster Drill and that was a real bummer.

We were in line for the Mariner in Jan by 1040, was processed, ready to board the ship by 1115 and at 1130 they let us on. I really like having all that time on the ship to walk around. That way Day 1 really seems much longer.

Had no idea you could go to your cabin before 1 pm. Did see some people come out the closed doors. Thought of it but didn't know if it was "inconsiderate" getting in the stewarts way.

I love everything about Day 1 except the Muster Drill. I learned after the first Muster Drill not to hook up my vest until I had to. It was just too hot. Also don't let yourself be led to the back of the lines if you can help it. I made sure the second time we were in the front. It definately is much warmer in the back. With time some people start to look sick who have been standing there with their vests all closed up even in January.

We eat a light breakfast early so by noon we are ready to eat at the Windjammer. Especially if you have early dining you want an earlier lunch.

Have a wonderful cruise. I love reliving mine over and over on this site.

Laura

On our last cruise in January on the Grandeur they had people stationed at the fire doors telling people they couldn't enter until 1:00. So we went to the Windjammer and ate, and them to the dining room to find our table. In between the DW ordered her wine package and I bought the soda card.

We make any reservation that needs to be made upon arrival onboard, starting with restaruants. We then have lunch. After lunch we have a drink and drop off the carryon luggage. Then we explore the ship. If we are cruising with friends we pretty much have been with them until dropping off the luggage. We meet back up with them at some point. Oh we might drink a bit more....lol I forgot to add we pick up an extra compass and look thru them and highlight anything we would like to do.

It can be worthwhile to read through the Compass shortly after boarding (I tend to bring it to lunch with me) as there are frequently specials (spa, laundry, etc) that won't be available later. I was really disappointed on our first cruise when I didn't make time to look at the Compass until late in the evening of the first day and realized it was too late to sign up for one of the spa specials they had been offering.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think we are going to goto chops instead, so I'll be sure to grab a good reservation time.

You all have been very helpful.

Just remember, if you're looking for Filet Mignon, Portofino is known to have better Filet Mignon than Chops. (rumor has it & worth the mention so you know,lol)

Just remember, if you're looking for Filet Mignon, Portofino is known to have better Filet Mignon than Chops. (rumor has it & worth the mention so you know,lol)

So......I guess the only solution is to go to both so we can make an educated comparison :D .

Katink

First time cruiser here, and will be cruising soon on Freedom of Seas 4/13.

I'd like to know what are the top things that rookies like me won't know that they should be doing within the first six hours onboard.

Should I run not walk, to get reservations for portofino?

Should I head directly to the top deck to get a good view for when we pull out?

Should I run to the golf sim to get a tee time for my buddy and I?

Should I run to the massage place to get an appointment first?(Depnding on the cost of a massage onboard is?)

Thanks!

Although im traveling with a few more experienced cruisers, I am having a bit of anxiety getting ready for the big day.

We just got home yesterday from our trip on the Mariner last week. On embarkation day we boarded the ship at 11:45 a.m. and headed up to the pool deck and had a frozen fruity "island" drink. We then went to Portofinos and Chops and made our reservations. Being so early we were able to get the days and times we wanted. After that we went into the Windjammer and ate lunch and had coffee to get a caffeine boost because we barely had any sleep at all the night before. By then, it was 1:00 p.m. and we headed to our cabin and unpacked our carry-ons. We didn't sign up for massages because we usually wait til the end of the week to get the 20-20-20 specials they offer for $89 or $99, depending on which day we book. That's a choice of a 20 minute facial, 20 minute back massage and 20 minute foot and ankle massage. There was another choice or two but I can't remember because they didn't interest us. You can get massages on the cruise ship's private islands if you care to. They usually have tents set up there if you care to have it done outside. On some of the beaches at the ports of calls they offer nice massages for $1 per minute.

I did call the salon and was able to get a hair appointment for 6:00 p.m. that evening. You can also call the specialty restaurants to make your reservations too but since we were already up on that deck we just wandered in to see what the restaurants looked like. You don't have to leave your cabin to make any reservations at all. Just pick up the phone and call.

As for running to get a good spot for sailaway, there's plenty of room to accommodate everyone. A lot of people stay on their own balconies, as we did the first day. But there's music up on deck and it's much more livelier.

Hi Stacy

Just saying hello! Glad to see you are still so active on the boards:)

Our kids still talk after all this time! Voyager April 2006

Anne

Hi Anne (Hugs!!) How are you guys? When are you coming back to sail with us? Im glad the kids still keep in touch, what an amazing cruise that was!! This past December we did the 12night Holiday cruise, it too was amazing! My email address is in my signature, keep in touch and love to all!

Archived