Southern Caribbean itinerary info...can you help??

Liv2kruz

Does it make a difference as to which side of the ship you are on with a balcony cabin as to enjoy the scenery both coming and going from each of the southern caribbean ports?

We leave out of San Juan, ports are St. Thomas, Dominica, barbados, st. lucia, antigua, & st. kitts.

If we book a balcony, should we book the port or starboard side for the better views?

We were starboard (8279) on this cruise aboard the Destiny last Oct. We didn't sail to St. Kitts but in Dominica and St. Lucia starboard faced the ports/harbortown and I really liked watching everything and seeing the port from the balcony. I can't seem to remember docking in St. Thomas or Antiqua. I do remember that we had a beautiful view and sunset leaving Antigua.

Thanks so much tinlizzy!

That info definatly helps us to decide. It sounds like starboard is the way to go to be able to enjoy the best views.

I'm excited that we also got ahold of one of those L-shaped aft balcony cabins to give us a bigger balcony to be able to enjoy these views from:D

Does it make a difference as to which side of the ship you are on with a balcony cabin as to enjoy the scenery both coming and going from each of the southern caribbean ports?

We leave out of San Juan, ports are St. Thomas, Dominica, barbados, st. lucia, antigua, & st. kitts.

If we book a balcony, should we book the port or starboard side for the better views?

We've done the Southern Carib twice with a third time in 10 days. The previous two, we have been on the starbaord sand port side and really can't remember much on the views outside. We usually viewed from the lido deck.

The two times in St. Thomas, we were on the dock side (bay on the port side).

On St Lucia, we were on the dock side again (port side). The ship was pointed out to sea.

On Antigua, we were opposite the dockside (starboard) although not much for views.

I'll post what the views are after we return from the same iternary. We are on the starboard side.

Hey, that would be great if you could let me know when you return. We still have plenty of time to make a cabin change if we decide to.

I was just hoping to be able to enjoy the scenery of the ports from our balcony as we are approaching., and avoid the crowds on the lido deck.

What ship are you going on in 10 days?

Have a great cruise.....wish i were going that soon!!

we had a starboard side balcony and this is how it played out.

Faced the dock in St Thomas, with a nice view of the Marriott as you enter Charlotte Amalie. Though I rather imagine the port side had a great view of the harbor. Not sure it matters though, since you basically float into a 2-point turn around to leave and exit the harbor viewing the opposite side of what you viewed coming in.

Dominica, faced the sea (pointing South). There is no harbor here, the dock is parallel to the Coast. From our balcony beautiful views of the Caribbean, with views of the island as it gently curves into view from both North and South. Port side would give you a commanding view of bustling Roseau with its many vendors, live musicians and tour operaters running around. You would also have a great look at what is truly a geographically beautiful island mountainscape.

Barbados. This REALLY depends on where you dock. There are room for four or more ships to dock on what is essentially a "U" shaped dock that has one of its legs basicaly forming a jetty of sorts. We docked on the island side and backed in so we the starboard side also faced the island. This is definitely an example of where facing the sea would be ideal, especially as all the sail and speed boats go by waving at you from that side. But unless the ship docks on that jetty-like leg of the dock, you won't get that experience.

St. Lucia. We backed in and docked so that the starboard side faced the docks and the small airport beyond it (we watched several small planes land and take off). I don't know that either side would be any better than the other here. Castries is a nice little town, but St. Lucia's true beauty begins when you head South down the coast. So make sure whatever excursion you do gets you out of Castries and down that way.

Antigua. Ship docks facing the island and literally disects the town of St. John, so either side you are going to get a good look at the harbor, part of the town, and a hilly island landscape to either the north or south. On the port side you are looking at a pair of twin cats operated by a company that takes its name from the local island lager beer. On the Starboard side you get a view of a cool pirate ship and the dock is more "vintage" looking in a Disneyland kind of way.

St. Kitts. Similar to Dominica docking, except this time the ship is facing north, so Starboard side gets a good look at the island and the town of Basseterre.

Have a great time. These islands are the pick of the litter if you ask me (especially St Lucia, Dominica and Antigua).

Honestly, you can't with total certainty predict which way the ship will be docked and what you'll end up seeing. You could dock port side, starboard side, or even bow in with both sides "giving the view". Your view could end up being another ship in port, the island itself, the ocean.... it all depends on how many ships are in the port and which way the ship has to "fit in".

We were starboard on Destiny last year. We had a view of the island in St. Thomas, view from port and starboard sides in Dominica, island in Barbados but it was nothing but an industrial trailer parking lot type thing, island in Antigua, and view from both sides in St. Lucia.

Archived