Anyone been to Djibouti, Lamu Kenya, or Mombasa Kenya?

Leejnd4

We're looking at a Middle East cruise for 2009 that stops in Djibouti, Lamu Kenya, and Mombasa Kenya. We're primarily interested in the cruise because of its earlier port stops (in Egypt and Jordan), but it has these three port stops towards the end, and I know nothing about them.

Honestly I'm a little surprised that they are even including Kenya - hasn't there been some civil unrest there that would render these stops as less than desirable? I know little about this other than what I recall seeing in brief news reports, so I have no idea if it even affects this area of the country.

The cruise actually ends in Mombasa, so I'm particularly interested in that area. If anyone has been to any of these three port stops, I would love to get some input.

Thanks!

We're looking at a Middle East cruise for 2009 that stops in Djibouti, Lamu Kenya, and Mombasa Kenya. We're primarily interested in the cruise because of its earlier port stops (in Egypt and Jordan), but it has these three port stops towards the end, and I know nothing about them.

Honestly I'm a little surprised that they are even including Kenya - hasn't there been some civil unrest there that would render these stops as less than desirable? I know little about this other than what I recall seeing in brief news reports, so I have no idea if it even affects this area of the country.

The cruise actually ends in Mombasa, so I'm particularly interested in that area. If anyone has been to any of these three port stops, I would love to get some input.

We spent 3 weeks in Kenya a couple of years ago, with the last 4 days in Mombasa, and it was excellent! Of course there were no unrest at that time. Frankly, I wouldn't be too concerned today as things seems to have quieted down and the politicians realizes how important tourism is to their economy. We stayed at a hotel on the Indian Ocean and we found Mombasa to be the very best place to buy African artifacts, carvings and to just relax.

We spent 3 weeks in Kenya a couple of years ago, with the last 4 days in Mombasa, and it was excellent! Of course there were no unrest at that time. Frankly, I wouldn't be too concerned today as things seems to have quieted down and the politicians realizes how important tourism is to their economy. We stayed at a hotel on the Indian Ocean and we found Mombasa to be the very best place to buy African artifacts, carvings and to just relax.

PLG, thanks for your reply! I've been doing more reading, and you are right, it appears that the conflict was generally due to an election in January and has for the most part settled down, other than some mild unrest in remote, untouristed areas. My cruise line has started visiting Mombasa and other Kenyan ports again. And my cruise isn't until next year anyway, so I'm sure things will be fine by then.

I'm curious if you have any suggestions for the best day trip to visit a game park from Mombasa. Also, would you be able to recommend any tour operators for such a tour? Thanks again!

Archived