Hotels in Chile and Peru - need assistance

BradF

We are cruising early January and plan to spend 10 days prior touring Chile and Peru. We plan to spend time in Santiago, Cuzco, Machu Picchu and Valparaiso/Vina Del Mar.

We were looking at booking our hotels online. Has anyone had experience with either [url="http://www.chile-hotels.com"]www.chile-hotels.com[/url] or [url="http://www.gochile.cl?"]www.gochile.cl?[/url] Any information regarding if you have used another website or booked with the hotel directly would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Brad

Just booked the San Cristobal Tower in Santiago directly thru the hotel. I had better luck calling the hotel directly. It looks like a beautiful property. The web site is Starwood resorts.com.
Vicki

ACJV

The San Cristobal Tower is beautiful. A few of us used it in February and thoroughly enjoyed staying there. The Sheraton is on the same grounds -- they share a lobby. We were originally booked into the Sheraton, but were upgraded to the Tower because they needed our room for the people using the Celebrity pre-cruise package. Ask if breakfast is included. The restaurant is on the top floor of the tower and was a lovely experience. We went to restaurant a few blocks away which was highly recommended on this board. They specialize in Chilean Sea Bass. I'll look up the name and post it later in the week. Sheratons are good hotels in South America. If you plan to stay there, sign up for a Starwood's card. We did and were able to leave our luggage at the Sheraton in Buenos Aires for the day with just a tip before we had to go to the airport.

Shoshona2

Thankyou also. Did you book directly or through a website? How much did you pay?

We were looking at the website option because of the number of different places we were looking at staying but it seems that it may be just as easy to decide on a Hotel in each place and book it directly. Although [url="http://www.chile-hotels.com"]www.chile-hotels.com[/url] looked quite reasonable particularly when we are paying in AUS$.

regards

Brad

Hi Brad,

We booked the Santiago Sheraton through their 800 number for $115.00 American dollars. When they upgraded us upon arrival for the Cristobal Tower it was just about $15.00 more. I didn't make a big thing about the difference in price since breakfast was included at the Cristobal. My friends went on line and booked the Cristobal Tower for approximately the same price. It is really a beautiful hotel. If you book a Sheraton in Santiago, make sure it isn't the Sheraton Four Points. It isn't as nice as the Sheraton Santiago or the Cristobal Tower (which is part of the Sheraton complex). If you are going to Machu Picchu, see if you can get into the hotel at the ruins which is the Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge which is run by Orient Express. They only have about 35 rooms. We were able to get up in the morning and walk to see the ruins without any other tourists since the buses don't get up there that early. Breathtaking sight! In Cusco, we stayed at the Hotel Monasterio. It was really a Monastery years ago.

• 1 month later...
Shoshanna recommended Sanctuary and Monasterio. I travel to Peru/Chile 4 times a year on business and have been to MP 5 times. I spend all my "downtime" in Cusco, even if I don't go to MP.

Sanctuary and Monasterio are lovely, but VERY expensive. I have spent at least one night in each. Sanctuary is great at dusk, watching the sunset on MP. Late 2004-2005 rates at both hotels are over $500.00 per night, on the off nights.

There are lots of very fine hotels (not Orient Express standards OR PRICES) in Cusco. I have a great hotel in Lima. Not much for amenities, but the service is to die for. And they pick you up at the airport (which is in a really crappy part of town).

If you need further info, please email. [email]greatam@earthlink.net[/email]

Gina

Hi Gina,

You are right about the costs. I checked out the hotels that Shoshona recommended in Cuzco and MP. Great hotels but then the cost, particularly when you convert $US to $AUD. We have now booked the following:

Santaigo - Hotel Plaza San Francisco (able to get a good rate)
Cuzco - Hotel Picoaga
Machu Pichu - Hotel Hatuchay
Vina Del Mar - Hotel Del Mar

We are still in a position to alter them as I booked through one agency. So if you think we done unwisely, please let me know.

Thanks

Brad

Hi Shosona,

Thanks for comments and well wishes. We are starting to look forward to it. It seems the majority of the comments I have read regarding this trip, disregarding the ship that has been booked, seem to be very positive.

regards

Brad

We are cruising in April 2005 from Valparaiso to Seattle and are spending some time in Buenos Aires and Satiago before the cruise.
In B.A. we booked into the Intercontinental at a good rate incl. breakfast and one night's dinner with Tango show.
In Santiago we booked into the Sheraton, again at a good reate incl. breakfast.
I looked at various hotels in Santiago, also the Plaza San Francisco which is located in downtown. It seems a nice hotel with good rates. However, a friend of mine who is living in Santiago recommended that we don't stay downtown as it is still not safe to go out there at night. He recommended the Providencia area, where the Sheraton is located.
Peter

The Sheraton is very nice - but is a ways out of the city. You will need transportation getting around. But your cruise line should have tours set for everyone who wants to go. Food is okay at the Sheraton, rooms are nice and the pool is large. I enjoyed being there last February and would go back. I also stayed at the Sheraton in Buenos Aires, and really enjoyed that hotel as well. Great view and close to shopping, restaurants, etc.

Hope you enjoy being there as much as I did. Santiago is very much like L.A., including the smog.

• 2 weeks later...
We changed our mind about the San Cristobal tower. Decided it was too far out of town, and made reservations at the Ritz Carlton instead. It should be great. Need to know what to see in Santiago.
Vicki

[quote name='BradF']Hi Gina,

You are right about the costs. I checked out the <A TITLE="Click for more information about hotel" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||hotels|AA1VDw">hotel</A>s that Shoshona recommended in Cuzco and MP. Great hotels but then the cost, particularly when you convert $US to $AUD. We have now booked the following:

Santaigo - Hotel Plaza San Francisco (able to get a good rate)
Cuzco - Hotel Picoaga
Machu Pichu - Hotel Hatuchay
Vina Del Mar - Hotel Del Mar

We are still in a position to alter them as I booked through one agency. So if you think we done unwisely, please let me know.

Thanks

Brad[/QUOTE]

Hi Brad,

My personal recommendation would be to stay at a less expensive place (more like $50.00 per night-great places for that price) in Cusco, and spend one night at the Sanctuary in MP. Yes, I know it is VERY expensive, but the sunrise and sunset over MP truly are "once in a life time experiences". I know the website says you must book the Monasterio in Cusco to stay at the Sanctuary, but that is wrong. There are ways to stay at MP at the Sanctuary without staying at the Monasterio. A phone call did it for me.

I hate the area at the foot of MP in Agua Calientes. Reminds me of Tijuana, Nogales, all the border towns. I have never stayed there. I take the train to the Sacred Valley, if I want to do MP two days in a row. Only did that one time.

If I can help further, please post or [email]email-greatam@earthlink.net[/email]

Gina

• 2 weeks later...
i have stayed at the hotel plaza san francisco twice and used their home web site to book with success. i am not sure about their regualr rooms but their suites on the second floor are amazing and at a fantastic value. the same room in new york would be $400 to $600 easy and they are only approx. $150 - $200 at the hotel plaza san francisco. [url]www.plazasanfrancisco.cl[/url]

Brad,

I wonder if I can pick your brains. We are not doing our cruise until January 2006. Afterwards we are going to go to Machu Pichu and thanks to this board we are planning to stay at the Sanctuary in Cuzco and the Lodge in Machu Pichu. Are you going to do the trip on your own or have you booked it through an agency. If you do it on your own, are there guides at Machu Pichu which you can hire. If you have booked the trip through someone can you tell me the name.

If we do it independently how do we go about booking the train. I know we can save a lot by doing it this way but I don't want to miss out on seeing the most important parts of the great ruins.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

I travel to Chile/Peru 4 times a year on business and have been to MP 5 times. So I know my way around.

You will be staying at the Sanctuary in MP and "the Lodge"???? Don't know that hotel.

You DO NOT need a tour in MP. Buy a good guidebook in Cusco and explore to your heart's content. Especially since you are staying at the Sanctuary. You can go into the ruins earlier than any of the people who need to be bussed up the hill from Agua Calientes. My favorite place is sitting in the middle, watching the resident llamas, and the VERY physically fit climbing Huana (sp?) Picchu.

Do NOT try to rush this trip. You will be flying from sea level to 11,000 feet. If you are not used to the altitude, altitude sickness is a real possibility. If you feel you have a bad headache, you have the beginnings of altitude sickness. Drink the coca tea, lie down for at least 6 hours, and hopefully you will feel better. If not, you must at least get oxygen, if not medical help. Taking it very slow the first day and allowing your body to acclimate to the thin atmosphere is the ONLY way to get through it. There is a prescription medicine, Diamoxx, BUT it does have some side effects and should only be used under doctor's supervision.

Here's the link to the train. [url]http://www.perurail.com/Frames_Pages/mainpage1.htm[/url]

You need to book at least 10 days in advance. You want the Autowagon (First Class) train. It leaves at 6:00AM. Don't let anyone tell you to go to Poroy station. Yes, it leaves a little later, but half the charm of the train in the Zig-Zag out of Cusco. You haven't lived until you go BACKWARDS in a train. And the view coming into Cusco at night is spectacular.

You can pick up your tickets in Cusco the first day or for a fee, they will be delivered to your hotel. I always pick them up, if for no other reason than to save the fee. But mostly, because the train station where you pick up the tickets (not the station where you leave for MP) is so quaint. 1920's It is a good thing to do the first day to acclimate-take a SLOW walk around Cusco, get your train tickets, get some dinner, look around, etc., etc.

You also need to take a bus tour to the Sacred Valley and Pisac market. The market is only open on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and some Sundays, so you need to plan accordingly. The market has great stuff (Alpaca sweaters-$20-30, alpaca rugs-$25-100) and the tour will take you to more ruins and let you see some of the real Peru. Easily booked in Cusco for about $20.00, including lunch.

Let me know if I can help with planning. My first trip to Cusco this year will be in October.

Gina

Gina,

I cannot thank you enough for all that wonderful information. I have made a mistake in the name of the hotel in Cuzco, it is the Monastero that we will stay in. It was 7am when I wrote that off this morning!! I must have been still asleep.

We will arrive early into Cuzco to try to minimise the altitude sickness though we have been up the Jungfrau railway in Switzerland which goes to 11000ft and we were fine. We also went to Zermatt and that is quite high as well.

I will definitely buy a book and start reading. I know it is a long way off, but it will be a dream trip come true for us. We have always wanted to go to S.A. and with the cruise from Rio ( not forgetting the iguazu falls) to Santiago and then Machu Pichu and the Galapagos, it will be a once in a lifetime adventure. We will be away about 6 weeks all up.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

As Gina has advised, we have read up and are planning do MP and the other cities ourselves. We are not real organised tour type people, and prefer in the main to do our own thing. We arrive in Santiago on New Years Eve and plan to spend 10 days in Chile/Peru prior to boarding the cruise.

If you would like to compare notes, particularly as we are country cousins, please free to email me directly at [email]b_ferguson@msn.com.au[/email]

regards

Brad

Archived