To Lock or Not to Lock Luggage International Flights?

KCNo

Once we have landed (prior to the cruise), we also use a cable lock to lock our suitcases and carry-ons together to prevent someone walking away with one. You suffer from jet lag, wait for a connecting flight or limo and doze off for a moment. That's all the time an alert thief would need.

Before we leave on a trip we also take a picture of our suitcases with our cell phone to show at Lost & Found - if they should get lost on the flight. The pic is easy enough to delete when we are back home.

Before we leave on a trip we also take a picture of our suitcases with our cell phone to show at Lost & Found - if they should get lost on the flight. The pic is easy enough to delete when we are back home.

That's such a good idea. My trouble is that, especially when travelling for work, I have so many things on my mind that some of this security stuff just gets forgotten. I think I'll make myself a check list with this and the nail clipper in outside pocket suggestion for next time.

We also use TSA locks and only one bag has been opened, and only one time, in the past few years. That is, only once have I found the "We've been in your bag" card. You can also purchase TSA locks that will give you a signal if the lock has been opened, though we have the regular ones. I don't understand the protection you get with cable locks. If they are cut by TSA, then your bag is unlocked for the rest of the journey. I guess you could lay a cable lock on top in your bag and hope that the inspector will re-secure the bag. To me the TSA locks are the path of least resistance.

We've used the TSA locks for domestic & international travel, since they've been on the market, without any hassles. The only problem we've had is with the locks themselves. Started out using the combo locks and experienced a 50 % failure rate ( 2 of four failed to open; had to have them sawed off). Have since switched to the locks with keys with no problems.

BTW- When we got home from a recent trip, there was a card in one of the suitcases stating that the TSA had opened and inspected it. Nothing was missing. Don't know what sets them off.

I just bought the combo TSA locks.Now you got me thinking about exchanging them for the key ones. I also noticed that there very difficuklt to see the combination on them.

Anyone else have this problem with the locks?

I've got 6 combo locks and 1 key lock. No problems with either, though I'd prefer to not have to remember the key. Yes, the numbers can be difficult to read. Be sure to place the lock so that the side with the numbers is easily accessable. A couple of our locks have the numbers on the end, which is a lot easier.

It's very easy to pair the right key with the right lock. Using a permanent felt tip pen, I put the same number on each lock/key set. Works for me!

BTW - the bright TSA locks (we use the yellow ones) do not have interchangeable keys. I recently bought a set of brass TSA locks at Wal-Mart, and they do have interchangeable keys.

I use the 4 dial SearchAlert Prestolock. Numbers are easy to read, the mechanism is solid and works smoothly. i have also used the 3 dial version - happy with both. Amazingly, the best prices I've found have been at an online padlock store, not at a travel outlet/website. Let's just say the "padlocks" were "for less" than I found elsewhere.

Archived