Private Tours through Cruise Line

At some point in the next few years, hubby and I will be doing a Med cruise. We watched an old Samantha Brown show on the Travel Channel where she cruised on the Brilliance of the Seas and had set up private tours of the ports of call through the cruise line.

I did not know that this was an otion - can anyone elaborate on cost as compared to a group shore excursion. It seems that this would be well worth the cost in the Med.

Thanks for any insight you can provide. We are the types that like to book through the cruise line as we don't want to risk missing the ship leaving the port.

At some point in the next few years, hubby and I will be doing a Med cruise. We watched an old Samantha Brown show on the Travel Channel where she cruised on the Brilliance of the Seas and had set up private tours of the ports of call through the cruise line.

I did not know that this was an otion - can anyone elaborate on cost as compared to a group shore excursion. It seems that this would be well worth the cost in the Med.

Thanks for any insight you can provide. We are the types that like to book through the cruise line as we don't want to risk missing the ship leaving the port.

Lisa,

After much research we choose to go private in all the ports where we wanted to see more then a couple sights. Traveling with a smaller party of 4-6 people/vehicle in a place like Florence, Rome makes much more sense then a big lumbering bus with 40 people. I can only believe that at every stop there will be "one" couple that will be late, need one last stop at the restroom, or making that last tourist purchase. A private car is the way to go.

Cost wise private tours shared or with groups greater then 4 are cheaper, more flexible then any cruise sponsored tours. The FUD that cruise tours make about holding the ship if ship sponsored tours are late is just an execuse for charging a ton more to put $ in their pocket. Private tour companies discussed hear are in the business of getting repeat customers and recommendations from places like here. The first thing that will bust their business as a reputation of customers missing their ship. Do people miss tours, probably so, but more likely due to horrible planning, or stupidity , or horrible luck.

I say plan a private tour, use roll call to build a group of 4-6 people, save money and have more fun :D

First of all~ ~ ~there is NO such animal as "private tours through the cruise line". It's either private tours OR cruise tours (or excursions). Back to the query, we always contract our own private driver and make our own tour. This way we see only what we want to see, when we want to see it and stay as long as we want and leave when we want. We have found out fast this was the only way to go (IMO). Money wise it comes out cheaper also. BUT to each his own ! :D

Nas-Karr, there are cruise lines that offer "private tours" such as was described above. Oceania, for example, will arrange that for you.

The cost, of course, is an other matter. I never checked it out because I agree with you about hiring a local guide or tour company.

Lisa,

I say plan a private tour, use roll call to build a group of 4-6 people, save money and have more fun :D

DW and I almost always use "private tour operators" for the reasons listed here, flexibility, cost, time frame, etc. Check the ports on CC board, find tours interested in, contact the company, then reserve.:cool:

First of all~ ~ ~there is NO such animal as "private tours through the cruise line". It's either private tours OR cruise tours (or excursions). :D

Disagree, while I haven't booked any, I don't know the price, but Princess and HAL do both offer private driver/guide car/mini van tours on their excursion site. I'm sure it will be expensive, just as a totally independent tour guide is.

I will stick with the cruiseline excursions for Santorini and Kusadasi and the rest of the ports on our own or with the Ho/Ho buses. I'm not going to pay anyone $200, $300, $400 or more for a personal tour, I just don't feel it's necessary, but that's just my own opinion.

Disagree, while I haven't booked any, I don't know the price, but Princess and HAL do both offer private driver/guide car/mini van tours on their excursion site. I'm sure it will be expensive, just as a totally independent tour guide is.

I will stick with the cruiseline excursions for Santorini and Kusadasi and the rest of the ports on our own or with the Ho/Ho buses. I'm not going to pay anyone $200, $300, $400 or more for a personal tour, I just don't feel it's necessary, but that's just my own opinion.

Thanks becuase I know Samantha Brown said she booked her private tour through the ship.

Thanks to the rest for the good advice and hopefully this will become reality in the next couple of years. I am saving Advantage Miles because I could not survive in Coach for 10+ hours...

Private independent tours are very competitive if not cheaper then tour "bus" tours offered by the cruise ship. Definition of pricey can mean different things to different people. The same "private" car tour on princess for a day in Rome on their web site is $1899 for full day. The two most mentioned private tour companies mentioned on this board in Rome are considerably cheaper and offer similar private car and driver with rave reviews from many here. For this apple to apple comparison there is NO comparison that the cruise offered tour is "pricey" you save hundreds by going private vs. the cruise ship. Comparing to do it your own vs. any tour is an apple to orange and of course doing it your own will save you wads of $$$$ the adventure of exploring the local country really up close and personal. Perfect for the young, adventurous and the young at heart :D

Private independent tours are very competitive if not cheaper then tour "bus" tours offered by the cruise ship. Definition of pricey can mean different things to different people. The same "private" car tour on princess for a day in Rome on their web site is $1899 for full day. The two most mentioned private tour companies mentioned on this board in Rome are considerably cheaper and offer similar private car and driver with rave reviews from many here. For this apple to apple comparison there is NO comparison that the cruise offered tour is "pricey" you save hundreds by going private vs. the cruise ship. Comparing to do it your own vs. any tour is an apple to orange and of course doing it your own will save you wads of $$$$ the adventure of exploring the local country really up close and personal. Perfect for the young, adventurous and the young at heart :D

I didn't say the private tours through the ship were going to be cheap, I was only pointing out that they do have them. NAS-KARR said there was no such animal, and there is if people want to pay for it.

I personally won't pay more than $50 for any tour. I prefer to do the Ho/Ho buses and see what I can see on my own. The cruise/hotel/food/airfare is costing enough. I don't plan on spending as much in tours as the rest of the trip is costing me. I have been to about half of the itinerary before, so this is a repeat for me, just first time for my friend.

As a matter of fact, the only place I've ever hired a private guide was my first trip to Budapest, and she cost me $450 six days of touring. We were together every day for at least 4-5 hours. We became such good friends, she invited me back in 05' and I actually stayed with her and was guided at no charge for the 10 days we were there. I paid for fuel, hotels, food, entrance fees, etc. but no fee for her guide services.

But each person has to decide for themselves. I feel comfortable trying to make my way on foot, bus, train, but not everyone does.

Archived