Here It Is Boys and Girls...New Dress Code

KenMo

Fellow Cruisers:

Remember how casual Fridays gradually turned into sloppy Fridays? What is next, optional shaving and bathing? And if the food fare in the dinning room will be matched to the attire of the guests , you can kiss those lobster dinners good-bye, my friends. It will be pizza and burgers , plastic mustard and ketchup bottles in the middle of the table and extra napkins for that special rib-night.

OK, I am kidding, but one does not have to be a snob to clean up a little for dinner and, let's face it, even the hardest working Joe- Six -Pack can look mighty handsome in a nice jacket, shirt and tie . Just ask your girl!

You must resist the dumbing down and anything goes attitude. And on a personal note I could also do without being called by my first name by the wait staff. It has nothing to do with being friendly and puts an additonal burden on these folks to remember the names of the hoards of guests they serve every week. I have the urmost respect for them and the service they provide so that we can have a good time and will tip handsomely. But Madam and Sir will do just fine .

Explain this "dumbing down" theory I keep hearing about? Also, explain how a written explanation of a dress code for non-formal dining evening is in any way associated with said dumbing down? Finally, explain to me how frozen lobster tail and the rest of the mass quantity food necessitates anything other than the new stated dress code. Thank you in advance, although methinks I will not get an answer, just another witty one liner. I am not disagreeing with a "dumbing down" culture.. So, I want to hear your opinions because I do not think it has ANYTHING at all to do with clothing choices on a vacation that 85% of the worlds population do not have the financial ability to partake in.

Ohhhhhh.... you are so cleaver with your choice of words... Not!

Try not using the same three words in every post... on every thread. :rolleyes:

Why? Does it bother you? If it does, feel free to ignore me.

Cleaver? As in Leave it to Cleaver?

Well since I really did not know what "Manpris" were' date=' I decided to "google" them. They are certainly more hideous than I even dared dream!:D A real fashion "travesty" for men. I have to admit I don't even wear capris, always felt like I had washed them in hot water and they had shrunk!:D Just an uncomfortable length for me. But Men, please no, no no manpris....PLEASE....:)[/quote']

I had to google Manpris also & here it is..check it out

Here's a question, do the people who screamed the most about wearing casual clothing own dressy shorts? :confused:

...and if they do, I guess I don't see them as such. They're shorts.

Point well made. "Dressy shorts" is a contradiction in terms. And yes I am pointing the finger at Carnival for coming up with such a ludicrous description of attire.

You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still just a pig. :D

Cindy

I so don't get all the negative postings about what someone else chooses to wear to eat.

Can ANY of you tell me what the person sitting at the next table wore on your last cruise to dinner???? WHO CARES???? You want to dress spiffy, knock yourself out. I have seen guys wear kilts on formal night, were they worried about being the only one in the dining room with one on???

With the airlines changing their luggage rules to one per person without extra charge, this seems to me to be right in line with trying to ensure that you can actually pack it all in one bag.

Vacation is to relax, unwind, enjoy the benefits of your labor....if you get wound around the axle about what someone else is wearing on their vacation, maybe you should consider getting some help because your stress level is WAY too high. But that we should ALL have nothing else to worry about to be able to focus on such trivial concerns.

What is the DUMBING down of the dress code? This is without a doubt, one of those catch phrases that like minded drones cling on to and do not let go of. Relaxation of restriction=dumbing? I will not get into a political debate, wait, yes I will, but I see WAY more examples of the DUMBING of America than attire in an AT BEST 2 star dining establishment.

This is not a political debate, this is a forum about the dress code on Carnival Cruise Line. I am simply describing how standards have dropped in one form or another. If you care to go to dinner, on a night that is called formal, looking sloppy then that is your decision. Just know that I would rather have you looking sharp and smelling cleaning ;).

Now Carnival has shut a number of them up by clearly stating jeans are allowed. Of course a few are refusing to acknowledge defeat.

The dress code really hasn't changed much in reality, but the changes do reflect reality.

I don't agree. Under your current name and your banned name you pronounced that you could wear jeans on formal/elegant night.

And now you can't, under any name.

Happy cruising!

We always "went with the flow" and followed the dining room rules, but I for one am happy with the new changes regarding the dress code. Mainly because dressing up for formal night (or 2) is a real hassle. First there is the packing issue. Whether you drive or fly to port, there is a lot of extra luggage to pack formal clothes for 2-6 people. And now with the extra luggage fee (is it $75 each way??) this just adds to the problem.

I also found it a dreaded hassle to dress for formal night, especially on port days. Just what we want to do - rush back to port, put on pantyhose and fancy clothes ... ugghh ... our whole family is in a rotten mood by the time we would get to dinner.

And one should not equate the absence of formal attire as "dumbing down" or taking away from the cruise experience. For me, it will allow me to spend more time enjoying my cruise (at port, in the spa, by the pool) and not so much time primping in front of the mirror. However, I know there are some cruisers who find the formal nights to be a hilight of the cruise & they should continue on with their tradition. I love watching women all fancied up (I just don't want to be one of them!)

There are other expensive cruise lines that have relaxed clothing rules so please don't try to equate this change with a certain economic demographic.

Dress codes are always troublesome as some people will try to push it to the limit. But for me, it boils down to respect for each other.

Archived