Here It Is Boys and Girls...New Dress Code

KenMo

A while back I asked my PVP about Elegant Dining. She never heard of it...no surprise there!

Today, she received the memo. Here it is:

Carnival Communication Flash

Volume 18 March 28, 2008

Hello Everyone,

Please be aware that we have made a change in our Dress Code policy.

Below you will find the new policy as it will be stated in our marketing materials:

What to wear?

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Special Sailings

For Canada/New England / Alaska cruises: Sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested. Casual clothes that can be layered easily are highly recommended. Bring a heavier sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas.

For South America and Europe cruises: Comfortable shoes and a just-in-case raincoat. Bring a sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas. Special note: It is essential that you wear the proper apparel when visiting the Vatican and other religious sites (no bare legs or shoulders).

The new policy will be enforced beginning with May 19th sailings

Well, their experiment with the relaxed dress code on some of the ships the last month or so must have been successful. I am sure feathers will fly on CC though. It will make packing easier for our family of 5. Thanks OP for posting this!

Along with all the polls and comment cards........

Giving the majority what they want;)

Another example of the dumbing down of America.. this "me, me, me" attitude is a loathesome as my 2600 character signature. This thrills me to no end that some relics who want to use the "way back time machine" to always live in the days of yore, are going to have eat choke on this dress code. These apples are TASTY.. Relics?

Sounds so similar. I'm sure that many will take advantage of the dress shorts though. I think they use too much AC in the dining room so I'll stay away from shorts... I know that they do look nice though with a cute blouse. They aren't like "hootchie" shorts or anything like that (I'm sure some will try to get away with it) but the knee length trouser material shorts. Those with a cuet pair of heels= sharp!

Maybe Carnival is hoping this will give it's cruisers one less thing to complain about. If this works as planned just think of all the space that will be freed up on the boards when people finally realize it's all allowed now? I don't care what the policy is as long as it's clear and that if shorts are going to be allowed that everyone can wear them if desired. Honestly once the person is sitting down the table cloth covers it all anyway. I like the idea that everyone can focus on themselves and not have to worry so much as to who is breaking what rules and what should be done about it. Looking back on my first cruises I can't help but think how silly and what a waste it was even acknowledging what others were wearing. :)

I guess I'm one of the only people who think dress shorts are fine for men. Now, I think there's an age when you should just give up on it and wear the pants (let's say, out of college).

But I hope they don't completely rule out dressy sandals. Because my feet can't take heels on a ship!

I guess I'm one of the only people who think dress shorts are fine for men. Now, I think there's an age when you should just give up on it and wear the pants (let's say, out of college).

What? You think men older than "college" age shouldn't wear dress shorts?

What? You think men older than "college" age shouldn't wear dress shorts?

I don't think there's such a thing as "dress shorts" for men. I mean, I know they exist, but I just don't think they are dressy.

For women, though, I do think those nice new dress shorts made of slacks material (that go to your knees) are pretty dressy for shorts.

Archived