help with island princess mini-suite sleeping arrangements

mollyredone

I hope someone with mini-suite experience can answer my question. We booked a mini-suite on Island Princess, very excited that our son and his wife were travelling with us in the mini-suite. The cruise is getting closer and I notice that there is a rollaway bed listed on our trip. What for, I ask. That's for the fourth person they tell me. But there's a sofa bed, I reply. It only sleeps one, they say.

So...what's the skinny from people who have had mini-suites on Island? Can the sofa bed sleep a normal sized married couple?? I am so disappointed that this is not pointed out on the website...they told me even the suites only sleep three!! I just hate the thought of that rollaway bed taking up precious space...Maybe one of them will want to sleep in the bathtub!!

Please help!

Molly

I highly recommend getting two cabins. If you're trying to save $$$ get two inside cabins. You will not regret it!!!

The sofa bed is more like a short version of a loveseat. It could possibly sleep two kids but not very comfortably. I wouldn't chance it with two adults. Again get two cabins. You will all enjoy your vacation with the two cabins and two bathrooms.

You may have a mini suite that's considered to be for 3. Certain mini suites are designated as "quads" and have a 4th bed that pulls down from the ceiling.

Take a look at the deck plan for the Island and look at your cabin number. If there's a red dot on the room it's a quad, if there's a black triangle it's considered to be for 3, with the 3rd person using the pull-out sofa bed. It's not a large sofa; not sure if two adults would have a lot of room on it, although it would be cozy ;) .

I'm guessing you do not have a quad room, hence the notation for the rollaway cot. Once your son & his wife try the pull-out sofa for size, if they're fine with it, just tell the steward you won't need the cot.

Double check the deck plan, though..

Cindy

Last May we cruised to Alaska on the Island Princess in a Minisuite. It was my DW, my sister and me. My sister slept on the sofa. She first tried using it open and found it very uncomfortable. She got an egg creat from the steward but still was not good. No rollaway was available so she slept on it without opening it. Our take was that it was not good even for one person. Much to small for two people. I am not sure where you could put the rollaway bed if the sofa is open. Just not that much extra space in the cabin.

This September we have booked a cruise on the Caribbean Princess for a Minisuite and booked an inside cabin across the hall fro two additional people. Will be much more confortable for all, plus an addtional bathroom.

Like others have said, that would be more than "cozy"! The sofabed is tiny, like a narrow version of a love-seat. And where they'd put a roll-away is really beyond me. It would be wall-to-wall beds, you'd be climbing over each other all the time. Also the bathrooms are very small, even for 2 people. Like others have said, get 2 separate cabins, even if they're just OceanView...

Dear folks,

Seriously consider some redistribution of your money and cabin assignments: time to call your TA. My thought is that you don't want to watch your son and his wife when they are in bed anyway (and they don't want to see you). My understanding (for ALASKA?) that some rates for July/August have been reduced. I would suggest either shifting from a minisuite to one balcony with inside cabin across the hall, two cabins side by side (a few outside cabines are connecting; if you get two balconies side by side the balcony divider can be removed). You are probably hoping for a family suite: this has two separate bedrooms but probably not worth the $$.

We invited our 30 year-old son and his wife for a week out of Seattle and stayed in two side-by-side balconies, visited on balcony, shared wine, ate dinner together, went to shows together, guys went fishing together, but used separate bathrooms and separate firm nonviewable beds (was well worth it). I have to agree -- if money is an issue, shift into two inside cabins (hopefully near each other).

All of my best,

David

Archived