Excursion confirmation

elusion

Hey All,

Just booked a HAL Ryndam Vancouver roundtrip departing May 21st for my mum(54) and me(23). Really looking forward to it. After going through the past 25 pages on the board, I've kinda decided on the following excursions and would like your opinion on the same.

We'd prefer something more budgeted but as Alaskan excursions are one the most expensive and it's all a once in a lifetime opportunity don't mind splurging for those few hours that we'll remember for life!

We can't kayak(mom's got a knee problem) or rent a car.

Also, I read somewhere that you get to see the huskies everywhere, we're canine lovers, having three of our own and don't want a dog sled experience just seeing the beauties.

Juneau(8.5 hours)-Taku lodge flight & feast, $275 for 3.5-4 hours, steep but seems nice followed by a trip to Mendenhall. Would mendenhall be worthless after visiting Taku etc? Anything close to the Taku trip but cheaper? I'm not too sure if we want to do Whale watching as it's steep to just see tails, fins and puffs for that amount. What else, what else??

Skagway(15 hours)-The Chilkoot companies' Yukon White Rail Pass and bus trip back, 7 hours about $175. Any other suggestions for the remaining hours??

Ketchikan(8 hours)-Just explore on our own. Creek Street, Totem bight, the city bus. Save our money on this day :) Or is there any excursion I might have missed that might be worth it?

Would love your opinion on whether the Juneau and Skagway experiences are worth the money or could be spent elsewhere.

Thanks!!

You have some very nice tours chosen that are very different and varied, giving you a great look at Alaska.

In Skagway these longer tours getting you into the Yukon offer you a wonderful day. The town is very walkable, stop in the Park Service Visitor Center. Broadway and Second, then take a look across the street at the Red Onion perhaps?

I have been to Taku, yes very nice, but I do give an edge to a glacier helicopter landing for "thrill value". :) Depends how much you want the salmon too??

I'll assume this is ship tour booked?? Problem will be the time needed back and forth to Mendenhall?? Another option perhaps would be a walking tour of Juneau? IF you go with an independent helicopter company- then you may be able to get a drop off/pick up for Mendenhall?? Or just take a cab direct, then the shuttle in the other direction. Makes better use of time

Thanks BudgetQueen!!

These will be directly booked though Taku is meant to be from the ship, Skagway is through Chilkoot Charters.

My mum is kind of more relaxed than adventurous and an Alaskan cruise has been her dream for years, I think Taku fits the bill better but the price is steeeeeeep!!

Do you have any other suggestions???

Dear Elusion,

In our 4 Alaskan cruises, we have always been on a budget but spent when it was special. We have never paid to see wildlife but make sure you each bring a pair of binoculars. There are many opportunities to see nature from the ship. We have found more wildlife in May than on our 2 July cruises. Juneau: Took the Mendenhall bus/salmon hatchery tour twice (July - salmon not running in May) - last 2 visits - took taxi to Alaskan Brewery for free beer tour. Taxi driver took us then to Gold Creek where gold was first discovered (love history). Left us plenty of time to shop at locally owned businesses. Skagway: 1st time did White Pass Rail/Biking excursion - early morning. 2nd & 4th time White Pass Rail excursion up & back (will probably do it again just because it's amazing). 3rd visit just walked to the Gold Rush Cemetery/Reid Falls & visited the museums. Ketchichan: 1st - horse drawn trolley (got idea where things were); 2nd, 3rd, & 4th - just walked Front St, Creek St, shopped the quilt store & did the beer tour at Steamers. This time might do the ducks just to see what's past the tunnel. All our excursions plans let us go back to eat on ship which is part of our budgeting. Hope this helps & check HAL website for updates on what excurions might be availabe.

vp

Archived