Is Alexandria Egypt an Interesting Place?

ionsys

never been to egypt so a bit intrigued-but this is just a port city

wondering if you thought it was noteworthy-as in you were glad you went

or did you think it was just another large city with relatively little attraction

We stopped there on one of our Med cruises and most people onboard took the excursions to Cairo and Giza which are 2 1/2 hrs away by bus. There wasn't much to note from what I saw in Alexandria.

We stopped there on one of our Med cruises and most people onboard took the excursions to Cairo and Giza which are 2 1/2 hrs away by bus. There wasn't much to note from what I saw in Alexandria.

Ditto.

I have never been, but I would think it would have interesting things to offer.

Intriguing response :rolleyes: I wonder what its based on

We did this port last year on our Med cruise - luckily we used a private tour company that took us in to Cairo the first day, stayed overnight, finished up with Cairo the next morning and then had the afternoon in Alexandria on our return to the ship. Although Cairo is chock full of the major things to see, ie Sphinx, Pyramids, we were glad we didn't skip Alexandria - it was beautiful. Qait Bey Fort, Farouk palace, and the new Alexandria library were part of our sightseeing, as I recall. It's a beautiful clean city on the water full of fascinating architecture and history.

We did this port last year on our Med cruise - luckily we used a private tour company that took us in to Cairo the first day, stayed overnight, finished up with Cairo the next morning and then had the afternoon in Alexandria on our return to the ship. Although Cairo is chock full of the major things to see, ie Sphinx, Pyramids, we were glad we didn't skip Alexandria - it was beautiful. Qait Bey Fort, Farouk palace, and the new Alexandria library were part of our sightseeing, as I recall. It's a beautiful clean city on the water full of fascinating architecture and history.

I guess your ship spent two days there while we had only one day and it being the first and probably only visit we will ever do to Egypt, we felt that the Cairo trip was the one to do. It was a long all day, over 12 hrs private excursion and I must admit we were beat by the time we got back.

never been to egypt so a bit intrigued-but this is just a port city

wondering if you thought it was noteworthy-as in you were glad you went

or did you think it was just another large city with relatively little attraction

The city is very interesting , the port is very dirty, a very interestin Kasbah,the new part is excellent.ruins worth a visit.

warning there are many horse drawn carriages,but they want to take you to there places to spend,only drink from sealed bottles.

not to miss.

This is a timely post for me because I am trying to decide on a Med cruise that includes Alexandria in 2009. Brilliance offers a stop from 7a - 10p. X Equinox offers an over night from 10a - 10p.

I'll post this on the Egypt board, but it feels to me like the overnight would just make more sense if my goal is to see the pyramids and other attractions. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

Archived