Statendam HH - Just How Obscured in the View?

mikjr

We recently booked a cruise... and got what we believe to be a great rate on a 30 day trip to the South Pacific... the only thing is... it's an HH catagory, which is identified as an obscured view. Given what we paid, and the small amount of time in the room, it's not really a big issue... and there is a potential for an upgrade.

But... I'm just curious as to what is obscuring the view and just how bad the view is obscured??

thanks...

On the S & R class ships (incl. Statendam), the obstructed cabins are on the lower promenade deck. The promenade that goes around the ship is right outside your window. The promenade is about 10 feet wide (teak decking), then there is a part of the structure of the ship - sort of a metal wall. You can't see through the wall, but you can usually see the railing off to the side that goes along the deck.

I've had HH cabins a couple of times and I think I'll generally plan on getting them in the future if there are no other considerations. I like the window and there is some "life" outside the window. The window is mirrored from the outside so that people can't see in during the daytime. It's best to close your curtains after dark.

They are usually a bargain (and I have to pay the single supplement, so that is a consideration). I would much prefer them to an inside, but some people feel that all of the cabins on the lower promenade deck lack privacy, due to the walkway outside the cabins. (I hope this makes sense).

We had DD cabin 308 on Statendam in January this year, which is similar but only partly obstructed. We would take an HH at the right price. The open deck is only a few steps away.

Steve.

Archived