Boudicca July 4 to Norway

Hello to Boudicca cruisers,

My wife and I are taking the July 4 trip to Norway. We have found very little information about the ship or itinerary. I encourage anyone with information or questions to participate in this board.

We have done a number of cruises on US ships- Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and on Cunard (QM2). The cruise critic blogs have often been very helpful providing specific tips and opinions which can influence preparation for a trip and provide some vicarious travel fun.

Jim and Margaret

Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts

Hello Jim & Margaret

I'm surprised no-one else has jumped in with some information, so here goes. First, though, I ought to say that I have never been on Boudicca but have cruised with Fred Olsen and had a good time.

First, the ship. I don't know if you're aware of this, but Boudicca is quite an old ship - she's one on of the Royal Viking Line trio of upmarket, luxury cruise ships dating from the early 1970s. After a period from the mid-80s to the early-00s when these ships were a bit out of place all three of them have found homes where they are being used in a way that plays to their strengths - traditional cruises on traditional ships. Fred Olsen have two of the trio, now sailing as Boudicca and Black Watch. Here's a link to a webpage about the history of the Royal Viking Line and its ships:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Viking_Line

Look here for lots of pictures of Boudicca:

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/FredOlsen.html#anchor1087780

Here are some pictures of her interior:

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2345 and

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2327

Here is a review:

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/yourfav/yfc_fo_boudicca.asp

Tom,

Thanks very much for your response. Your referenced internet sites were quite helpful.

I guess Americans tend to be much more verrbose, sharing their innermost thoughts to total strangers. Just take a look at boards for Celebrity, Holland America, etc.. Brits tend to be more reserved and perhaps confident that they need no help from others to plan their holidays. Somewhere in the middle would be good.

We know very little about Norway and hope to capture the esssence of the country during this trip. The Fred Olsen excursions appear expensive, so our Scottish Cousins and we plan to organize some of our own tours.

Anyone else have any thoughts to share?

Jim and Margaret

I see that you are on one of the cruises from Leith. It looks great & I would like to do that one in the future. We are hoping to go to Norway on the Black Prince from Greenock next year.

When you are organising your own tours, keep in mind that Norway is a VERY expensive country (a lot more so than even Britain). That is one of the reasons that it is a good place to visit from a cruise ship!

Graham.

Hello Jim and Margaret,

just returned from a 26 day cruise on this ship, traveling from Lima to Southampton. Our previous six cruises have been with Costa, P&O and Princess. This is not a detailed review but it may give you an insight. Please ask if there is something I have not mentioned.

We have not been to Norway so I have no idea about trips.

I'm sure you will enjoy the cruise, have a great time.

Best wishes

Janet

Overall we enjoyed the cruise.

Ship:- small but it never felt crowded. Being small, it can dock at some ports where the big ships can't, so reducing the time spent on shuttle buses. When shuttle buses were needed they were free, frequent and ticket-less. Tickets were only needed once when we tendered.

Decks:- plenty of sun beds and chairs. Small swimming pools that were never crowded.

Cabin:- our outside cabin on Marina deck although clean, was the smallest so far.

Staff:- mainly from Thailand and the Philippines, were pleasant and very helpful. The entertainment staff and photographers were not silly or intrusive. The captain gave a report each day, was often seen around the ship and was at the gangway to say goodbye in Southampton. (On the Sapphire Princess we never saw the captain in person or a photograph and did not know his name. He did not even attend his own cocktail party!)

Food:- reading the few reviews there were, we expected the food to be great but we were slightly disappointed. However, it was significantly better than that on the Sapphire in November 07.

Entertainment:- darts, ping pong, dance classes, craft classes, bridge, whist, quizzes etc. Evening shows were good but the Neptune lounge is not a theatre and there are restricted views.

Lounges:- several comfortable bars with music, singing and dancing at various times. Large library and card room with many board games, dominoes etc

Passengers:- mostly friendly, elderly British with a few from other countries. We felt like spring chickens! Never saw a wild party.

Janet,

Thanks for your critique. It sounds like you were quite happy with the ship. I feel that it's a very individual thing about food. I have heard people complain bitterly about a particular meal while someone else at the same table said it was magnificent. To each his own (within reason). We have generally been on larger ships and the two cruises on small ships were much more relaxing and personal.

Margaret and I are in the white hair set but active. It looks like we will be busy.

Graham,

I hadn't given much thought about the cost of living. After reading your post, I looked for a car rental in Bergen, out for curiosity. Prices appear to be four times what they are in the states. I think that you are right that we will either take the Fred Olsen excursions or try local transport in some places. I'll have to do a lot more study. Maybe we can find a long lost cousin in Bergen.

Jim and Margaret

Thank you for those links. The one on the RVL gave a very good summary of the complex histories of these ships. I had forgotten that Prinsendam was with Cunard for a while, along with the Sagafjord & Vistafjord.

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I really don't have much to say but wanted to bring Boudicca to the top post to prod others to join in. I find it interesting to read about the other F.O. Ships as well. I am amazed at the reviews of the same voyage, which are complete opposites. It reminds me, once again, that blogs are fine but they are OPINIONS and not facts.

Jim and Margaret

Hi Jim and Margaret,

I have just returned from a trip around South America on Boudicca with my wife and thought you might appreciate some quick comments.

We are both aged 65 and we thoroughly enjoyed the trip. There were a lot of elderly people on the trip but that was to be expected. There were no children and the boat is not geared up for them. Think of the boat as being your local country club house (golf club!) and you will not go far wrong. It is relatively small but very comfortable - we had A grade cabins on deck 7 - and after getting the steward to change it from "kingsize" to two singles it worked much better and gave us more room in the centre of the room.

The staff from room stewards to Captain were exceptionally friendly and the Captain regularly spoke to us over the speaker system eg. this is the Captain speaking, I have spotted whales on the starboard side and have changed our course and speed to approach them ...." Brilliant what more could you ask for? Hygiene was impeccable with a requirement that they sprayed your hands before entering restaurants or eating/drinking places ...needless to say we had no outbreaks of viral infections.

Entertainment varied and was not of the "glitzy" kind but was generally very good. Classical musicians of various kinds and a six piece band for back-up. This was not "Vegas" but go with it and youwill enjoy it.

Compared with the mega cruise ships the facilities are minimal eg one fashion shop with clothes/handbags etc, a very small shop for personal bits and pieces; no slot machines and only one gambling table! As I said, definately not Vegas! So think of it as being your personal yacht with lots of your friends on board!

Hope this helps.

Norway you will love, I envy you. Regards

RayT

Archived