Grand Princess with a mobility device...

abelthi

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are scheduled on the Grand Princess this coming May. She had an operation in her back in January and her recovery is slower than expected (and hoped for).

In our current alternatives, two come to mind...1) Cancel or re-schedule 2) Get a mobility device (electric). It's not that she can't walk... she gets tired easy.

How practical is it to drive around on the ship ? Has anyone had an experience they'd like to share ?

Thank you in advance...

Thierry

The first thing I would do if you are thinking about an electric scooter is to check to make sure you have an accessible cabin booked. Princess no longer allows these to be stored in the hallways and they are too wide to fit through a regular stateroom door. An accessible cabin gives you a larger door and also a larger stateroom so that mobility devices can be driven in, charged inside the stateroom, and stored there when not in use. They must be able to be stored inside your cabin when not in use per Princess rules.

From the Princess website: http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/ready.jsp

PRINCESS ACCESS:

Passengers utilizing mobility devices with batteries are advised that the batteries must be a dry cell type and must be stored and recharged in the stateroom. Mobility devices of any kind, like other items, may not be left outside the stateroom.

Other than that problem, I have seen many electric scooters onboard Princess ships and they seemed to be getting around very well with them.

The first thing I would do if you are thinking about an electric scooter is to check to make sure you have an accessible cabin booked. Princess no longer allows these to be stored in the hallways and they are too wide to fit through a regular stateroom door. An accessible cabin gives you a larger door and also a larger stateroom so that mobility devices can be driven in, charged inside the stateroom, and stored there when not in use. They must be able to be stored inside your cabin when not in use per Princess rules.

From the Princess website: http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/ready.jsp

PRINCESS ACCESS:

Passengers utilizing mobility devices with batteries are advised that the batteries must be a dry cell type and must be stored and recharged in the stateroom. Mobility devices of any kind, like other items, may not be left outside the stateroom.

Other than that problem, I have seen many electric scooters onboard Princess ships and they seemed to be getting around very well with them.

Thanks for the info Toto. Right now, we have a regular balcony room. When we made our reservation (last year), my wife didn't have any problems with her back. I'll double-check with either Princess or with my TA. At the same time, I'll start searching for one of those battery operated vehicules.

Thanks again !!

Thierry

Just my 2cents worth. If your wife doesn't need the mobility scooter except for long distance walking, I would consider getting something lighter that you can push and that will easily fold. The scooters are very heavy and getting onto a tender will be difficult for the crew to load.

I have seen some wheel chairs that weigh hardly anything and they look like light weight mesh.

I am a tour guide so I see people on vacation with all kinds of wheel chairs and scooters and some of the light weight ones people have said they have traveled with all over the world. Just my opinion to get something light and foldable.

Here is something else to think about. My MIL has a power scooter and it took her a long time to figure out how to manuever the thing without running over toes:eek:

What ever you decide on have a great cruise:D Kris

I took my Mom on the Crown. She uses a electric scooter. We had a accessible cabin and charged and stored the scooter in there. We saw two scooters charging at the pursers desk. Don't know if they still allow this.

A scooter is next to impossible to get on a tender. We never even tried. We couldn't do that to the poor cruise staff. Scooters are pretty useless off the ship anyway as foreign ports are not accessible.

If you don't get an accessible cabin. I would recommend a light weight wheelchair that collapses. That way you can take it on shore and use it on the ship and keep it in the cabin.

Scooters take a while to get used to. My Mom drives hers very well. When I tried to drive it I was hitting everything. Takes some practice.

My mom had trouble with doors in her scooter. Very few automatic doors. If I was with her it was fine as I opened and held the doors for her. On her own she couldn't open the door and drive thru at the same time. A lot of the doors were very heavy as well and difficult to open.

Archived