Where does CB dock in San Juan?

jillmom2

We will be on the CB out of NY in July. I have been to the other islands and am familiar with the locations of the ports, but I have never been to San JUan. We would like to explore old San Juan and was hoping that the CB docked near Old San Juan as we have heard many other ships do. I guess the other option is docking "across the bay" Any input is appreciated. Also suggestions for what to do for the day. How long will it take to explore Old San Juan as that is really all I planned to do? Can we walk there right from the ship, or do we need a taxi or other transportation. Not planning to do a ship excursion....

If you dock at teh Old san Juan piers, you are good to go with regards to walking the walled city. If you dock at the Pan Am pier, you will need to take a taxi into OSJ.

Plenty to see and do, to keep you busy for your short stay here:

2 forts

several museums

cathedral

several picturesque squares

paseo la princessa promenade

Old San Juan is not that big, so you can easily walk around - if you dock at teh OSJ piers, there is a small tourist office, where you can pick up a map for exploring.

You can also check out the map on this page (zoom into OSJ) - it has several attractions marked and will give you an idea

http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/puerto-rico-travel-map/

enjoy

We docked at the Old San Juan piers when we were on the Crown (out of Brooklyn) last summer. Our cruise was at the beginning of July and we are planning to be on the CB on July 1 this summer. If you go to El Morro, or walk anywhere else for that matter in Old San Juan, make sure you and you family wear hats, and have water with you. It was very hot. It felt like it was 110 degrees at the fort (slight exaggeration). Bermuda was not as warm as Puerto Rico when we were there and we may not have felt the heat on Grand Turk and St. Thomas because we were at the beach, and in the water. When we got off the ship there were tour buses waiting that were not associated with the ship. We had been to Old San Juan briefly on a previous cruise and decided to take the tour. Afterwards we walked to El Morro, and went window shopping (DH dragged me out of Coach).

Archived