Western Caribbean Questions

vanclan

We are booked on Century W. Caribbean on Nov. 6th. Had planned to do snorkeling excursion in Grand Cayman. (have never snorkeled before) This stop may not happen due to hurricane damage. Remaining ports are Cozumel, Jamaica, Key West and perhaps Belize. Anyone know about snorkeling at any of these ports (except Jamaica-already booked an excursion there.) As soon as I get an idea where we might snorkel....I'll move over to the Ports of Call board and do further research there. Thanks for any help.

It's more likely than not that you will NOT be visiting Grand Cayman, I don't think they will be in any position to have tourist until at least January.

In Cozumel there are many places to snorkel, including Chankanaab Park. I believe there are several ship excursions that go there. If you're looking for something a bit more off the beaten path you could check out Papa Hogs (http://www.papahogs.com) or Blue Angel Divers (http://www.cozumel-diving.net/BlueAngel/index.htm) at the Caribe Blu Hotel. Both of these locations have areas to snorkel right in front of them and there won't be a lot of crowds to deal with. I have dealt with both of these operations for scuba and they are both top notch.

Key West: In Key West, any snorkeling you do will be from a boat. There are many ops that will take you out. One that I recommend is Lost Reef Adventures (http://www.lostreefadventures.com). Again, we have used them for scuba and they are a very good operation.

If you want to snorkel directly from the beach in Cozumel just take a taxi to Chakanaab. It'll be about $10 each way (5-10 min cab ride) and costs about $12 to get into the park (it's owned and maintained by the Mexican Govt). There is a pretty little reef right at the shore line. You can either bring your own mask and snorkel or rent them there. There are lockers, a restaurant and some shops there, too. Its much easier than hasseling with a bus.

Belize has the second largest coral reef in the world' date=' snorkeling is the only thing worth doing in belize IMO.[/quote']

So, If you were going to Belize where would you snorkel? Considering the time limit we are under,,,I don't want to spend my time motoring to the best spot just to have to turn around and motor back.

Su

Hi,

I scuba and Snorkel, my mom lives in Key West.. I love it, BUT if you are a first timer I would enjoy the Bars and historic tours over the snorkel trips, they all go out pretty far and the water is fairly deep (15 to 40 Feet) for first timers- you really need to know how to swim and be comfortable. I would go with Belize or Mexico for a snorkel trip if you are just going to do one water trip.

Archived