Anytime Dining on RCI

Someone was mentioning on another board that anytime dining is being experimented with on RCI. This was a major reason why I switched away from RCI to Princess. I like the flexibility. Is this true? On What Ships and how does it work?

:) Just got off the phone with the dept that is providing info on the "My Time Dining". They are still offering main (6:30) or late (8:30) dining as well as "My Time Dining" (MTD). The MTD works either through a reservation that morning or you can just show up. The MTD times are any time between 6-9:30 pm in the main dining room and to partake in this you must pay the $68+ per person gratuities on your SeaPass card. I asked how they were going to work this out with the main/late diners and they said that there will be a specific section for MTD within the dining room. I hope this clears up any questions. If you need further info call 800-327-6700 and ask to be transferred to the MTD dept.:)

This info is taken from the RCI website, I got a link to the page in an e-mail from RCI after I booked a cruise that offered the option:

Now that you've reserved your cruise, how about enjoying some freedom of choice in your dinner options. On select ships and sailings+, we're featuring My Time DiningSM** in our Main Dining Room.

This great new option allows you more flexibility to plan your daily activities. Want to linger awhile at the pool and catch the day's last rays? No problem. Worked up an appetite on a shore excursion and want to dine early? Done. Our My Time DiningSM option is all about convenience and flexibility. You can choose to dine between 6:00 and 9:30 pm each evening. For your convenience, we will accept reservations once onboard the ship.

• Dinner is served in the Main Dining Room
  • Same menu as traditional seating
  • Same impeccable service as traditional seating
  • Must pre-pay gratuities to participate - this includes tips for your waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter and stateroom attendant
  • Guests will not receive a table assignment or permanent table mates
  • You will have the ability to request a certain waiter
  • My Time Dining waiters share their gratuities amongst the other My Time Dining waiters; feel free to reward your waiter with an extra tip for providing excellent service
    You will be seated with the party you arrive with; you can request to be seated with other guests or alone
  • Once dinner service begins for your table, no additional guests will be seated (to provide you with a smooth, non-disruptive meal)Reservations are recommended in order to avoid a delay in seating (reservations will be taken once onboard)
  • When reserving your cruise, you will need to provide your reservation number and the number of guests participating in the My Time DiningSM option

+Available on the Brilliance of the Seas from February 22 - July 18, 2008, Freedom of the Seas October 15, 2007 - December 28, 2008 and Serenade of the Seas from March 8 - June 7, 2008.

** My Time DiningSM is subject to availability, you must prepay your gratuities to participate, and for group reservations My Time DiningSM is only available for groups of 20 or less.

We lilke to eat late, and are signed up for late dining, so wonder if there is any benefit to My Time Dining? Also, since we like to meet other people, does anyone know if MTD means you are only seated with your own group (in this case, just DH and myself), or do they combine groups that arrive at the same time? Thanks

We lilke to eat late, and are signed up for late dining, so wonder if there is any benefit to My Time Dining? Also, since we like to meet other people, does anyone know if MTD means you are only seated with your own group (in this case, just DH and myself), or do they combine groups that arrive at the same time? Thanks

You can ASK to be seated with other people. You can also ask NOT to be seated with others.

:)

The main benefit is not being locked into a specific dining time.

This is HUGE to me. The last cruise I went on with RCCL I had a major problem with the people assigned to me and the unwillingness of the assistant maitre d' and pursers desk to rectify the situation. Even head office was unhelpful. I swore I would never sail with them again until they gave me more choice with my dining. Now they become an option again.

Here is my experience with My Time Dining on Brilliance a few weeks ago:

1. Half of deck 5 main dining room was devoted to My Time Dining.

2. As we were contacted by the concierge a few days before departure I asked her to make reservations for My Time Dining for the entire cruise. Once on board, we changed a few times directly with the head waiter.

3. At our first dinner, we had a great waiter and assistant. When we left that night, we asked the head waiter if we could have the same waiter each night. Not only did he accommodate us with that, but we had the same table. (Except for the 2 nights we ate at Portofino and Chop's.)

4. There were some large tables in the My Time area where apparently people were seated who wanted to eat with a group, but there were plenty of 2 and 4 person tables also.

5. There always seemed to be a few empty tables available for walk-ins.

6. On two occasions our table wasn't ready at the time we wanted but the head waiter called our stateroom to let us know but it was only 15 minutes late in each case. (Once my wife was still in the room, the other time we were enjoying cocktails at the Champagne Bar. But it was not a problem.)

7. A couple of times we asked that another couple be seated with us and another table was pulled up next to ours.

8. The menu in the My Time area was identical to the main dining room.

9. Dress code in the My Time area was the same as the rest of the main dining room. I did not see any real casual dress and saw a lot of suits and tuxes on formal nights. My observation was that dress in the My Time area was the same as the rest of the dining room.

10. Tips were indeed prepaid but because we had the same waiter/assistant for the entire cruise we gave them (and the head waiter) additional tips on the last night. They were well worth it.

David

Archived