Hey, Thanks Everyone - I got the Canon A95

I appreciate all the good feedback and the links to the dpreviews.com site which helped me a great deal along with your recommendations.The camera came yesterday and last night I enjoyed playing with it.

This version has a underwater shooting mode, which a special waterproof housing must be purchased for, so I am going to check into that. The shots have got to be better than the shoot and toss underwater cameras, and I will be experimenting with that feature in April when we sail again.

Thanks all! :)

Some of the underwater housings run $800. :eek: So we looked around and found transparent dry bag from Aquapac ($50) that seem to do the same job, though aren't as easy to use. I'll be getting mine this week, so I'll have a chance to check it out a bit before we cruise, and see whether it is worth it or not.

The Canon website has it at $240.00 and I expect it can be found for less. I will be saving my pennies though...

Will look forward to hearing how you fare out with the aqua bag. We use them for our cell phones on our wave runner, but have never had to really test their reliability.

Let me know how you do with your shots.

I have a Canon Sureshot S-45, and I love it. I bought the waterproof case for it last year and it's great. I ususally put the case on it for all excursions around the water, even if I am not getting into the water, just to protect it. The Canon waterproof housings allow you to use nearly every function of the camera. If you want to look at some of the snorkeling pictures I took with it you can check out our Hawaii and Mexican Riviera pictures here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/desertbelle

I've only snorkeled in the Western Caribbean (Belize, Cayman, Roatan, Cozumel) and in the British Virgin Islands, and I think the Caribbean was clearer than Hawaii, and the water was warmer by far. I was quite chilled after awhile snorkeling in Hawaii...but we were there in December so that may have played a big role in the temperture...though the daytime temperatures were very warm.

We leave shortly for the southern Caribbean (Barbados, Dominica, Curacao, St. Thomas) and I will be glad to report back to you about how it compares to the others when we return.

We snorkeled in St John this spring and it was wonderful to see the coral in the reef alive and well. Will be back there again next spring with my new camera!

Have enjoyed Bermuda, Cozumel, Cancun, Aruba, Antigua, Grand Cayman and Labadee too for snorkeling.

The reefs are alive in St John where we were at the National Park, we have seen some enormus Blue Parrots in Aruba, and a very nice variety off the beach in Grand Cayman, Labadee was the first time we have ever seen squid.

Well, I got the aquapacs... big warning on them: They're not intended for underwater photography. They are waterproof, but intended to guard against inadvertant dropping into water. So good for kayaking, but not for snorkeling. I'm a bit disappointed, but they're still worth it for the protection they afford, against both water and sand, and for my camera, at least, there is no underwater housing available at any price.

I might still chance it. The warning indicated that the concern is that the seal has three knobs that could be inadvertently knocked while used underwater, compromising the water-tightness. So the warning could just be a bit of CYA. For all I know, the underwater housings themselves have a similar disclaimer.

It is rather difficult to turn the camera on and off in the aquapac, because there is a knob for that. Buttons can be worked fine through the bag, but knobs, not-so-much. So that's another strike against it. I'm not pleased with the idea of leaving the camera on, given that that reduces the protection of the lens.

I just bought the underwater housing for my Canon A70. I just did a google search for it and then compared pricing. I got it brand new for $153. I haven't tested it underwater yet but I played with it and you can do every function with the knobs on the underwater housing. It makes it very simple.

We are on the Mariner for New Years this year, can't wait to try it out!

Andy I like it alot. A whole lot. I had an Olympus C-3020 which broke down (the lens) and rather than fix it I got good info here on what others were using and preferred. I also had the opportunity at a recent boat show to experiment with a bunch of camera at a photo booth.

I have had this camera only had it a short while and it is a real pleasure to use. FWIW, I have taken a lot of photos of my feet while lying in bed and taking test shots, or my feet standing up and taking test shots, and I think the settings this camera provides effect a very nice picture, and one that is of worthwhile quality. (My French Pedicure, of course, helps in this evaluation. ;) )

I can't be happier right now with this camera selection. Find somewhere that you can play with this camera, and then see what you think.

Archived