First freestyle cruise....don't get it.

tripman

If I cruise with Carnival and choose the early seating for dinner, I don't have to eat at the early seating? How does that work?

Not true, on the regular lines, such as Carnival, with the 4 dining times you do have to eat at the assigned time if you eat in your assigned dining room. You can, of course, opt to eat in one of the specialty restaurants or the buffet, but for the main dining room you are assigned a time, a table, and the particular dining room.

On Princess, you can opt for anytime dining which is one of the main dining rooms where you just show up and are seated as soon as a table is available, but you can't switch back and forth from assigned to anytime, once you select anytime, or change to anytime from your assigned dining that is it. (still talking Princess)

Not true, on the regular lines, such as Carnival, with the 4 dining times you do have to eat at the assigned time if you eat in your assigned dining room. You can, of course, opt to eat in one of the specialty restaurants or the buffet, but for the main dining room you are assigned a time, a table, and the particular dining room.

Sorry, that's not freestyle anywhere near what NCL offers then. I either show up at my assigned time or am forced to eat at the buffet or pay for a specialty restaurant?

On Princess, you can opt for anytime dining which is one of the main dining rooms where you just show up and are seated as soon as a table is available, but you can't switch back and forth from assigned to anytime, once you select anytime, or change to anytime from your assigned dining that is it. (still talking Princess)

This is much closer to NCL then. Of course, sounds like you are limited to one restaurant (or the buffet) if you choose freestyle. NCL still has that beat.

It sounds as if NCL is still far and above all the others when it comes to true freestyle dining. Why can't people just accept that and stop trying to say that they are all the same? Freestyle has it's good and bad points and it's not for everyone. I'm not an NCL cheerleader and enjoyed my other cruises (even tho they were a very long time ago).

Can anyone tell us about RCCL and others? This topic has me very curious, especially when I see people claiming that freestyle is not unique to NCL and that all lines are the same now.

Uh, it's called humor guys.

I do have a question for the OP. I haven't been on any ship other then NCL for many years. Last time I did HA, RCCCL and CCL, we had to pick our dinner time and that was it. No buffets were offered other then at midnight. And I know that has changed.

My question is this. If I make a reservation on any of those lines to cruise, I am asked to select a dinner seating time. I'm not asked that on a NCL reservation. Why am I asked to choose a seating time if I can eat at any time? I'm not trying to be combative, I just don't understand. If I cruise with Carnival and choose the early seating for dinner, I don't have to eat at the early seating? I can show up at the later seating (or anytime in between) in one of the main resturants and be seating? How does that work?

This info may be a bit dated now, in fact 2 plus years and I COULD HAVE MY SHIPS MIXED UP, OLD AGE SETTING IN, and our last cruise was on NCLA.

I remember them closing the main dining room doors after 15 minutes so no one else is admitted.

We merely spoke with the Maitre D who was willing to seat us at either seating on request to accomodate our excursions. It may have been just a good Maitre D providing superior service, but he was very accomodating. I mention this because the perceived rigidity of other cruise lines is not as prevelant as one thinks.

I expect that if space was not available etc we would have been told to pound sand, but in fairness NCLA told us to pound sand too when the restaurant was full.

As a side note, traditional dinner diners don't always show up for their assigned ( you do get to express your preference when booking in case anyone was not aware) seating as often they may skip the dinner or go to specialty restaurants etc. Of course courteous diners will tell the Maitre d, or their table mates so they don't keep everyone waiting for them.

If I can use the analogy, it's like a big toilet swirling around and around and the whole cruise industry eventually gets diluted and mixed up to the point that they all lose their unique niches, and no one really stands out in any particular way after a while.

neither a troll or a cheerleader, just trying to be objective for everyones benefit,

Wow! I love these stories. First of all, on the breakfast at 4pm, did you ask anyone at the Blue Lagoon for ham and eggs? Just because something isn't on a menu, doesn't mean you can't get it. People were complaining because they took the grilled chicken off the dinner menu in the Garden and Windows restaraunts. The fact is you could have that it you asked for it.

Next, on the housekeeping walking in on people that have their do not disturb sign up and are trying to uh uh uh well, hell have sex, should have kept on going. It would teach them for not adhering to the sign. Who knows, maybe they would have worked your video camera so you could have a momento of your trip.

Glad to hear this won't keep you off NCL's cruises. Sounds like you have a bit of a sense of humor.

To correct some misconceptions:

1. From 6:30 or 7:00 AM until midnight, either the Garden Cafe or the Great Outdoors is open. You can get breakfast at the Great Outdoors until 11:30 AM or so.

2. The menu in both main dining rooms is exactly the same. They're split so that people who want to dress more casually have that option, and those that don't can feel like they're in a more upscale environment.

3. If you don't want to pay for a meal, your options (on the Pearl) are:

1. Summer Palace/Indigo
  2. Blue Lagoon
  3. Garden Cafe
  4. Topside/Pool Deck
  5. La Cucina
  6. Mambos
  7. Room Service
  8. Great Outdoors

That's eight options. You're certainly free to have your opinion, but there are certainly more than Garden and Blue Lagoon.

Sure...but I can do that on most other lines as well. The commercials and literature for NCL would make you think that, as I said in my original post, the other lines put a gun to your head and force you into no choices at all.

When we boarded, when I first turned the TV on, there was a little welcome video, it showed how you should just throw your watch, alarm clock, etc, into the trash, meaning you could do whatever you wanted whenever you wanted. But that isn't true, if I wanted to sleep in until 10:30, then wanted breakfast...I was out of luck. If I wanted to have dinner at 4:30, I was out of luck.

I'm not knocking my cruise, I really liked it, please don't think that, BUT, it really seemed no different than any other cruise I have been on. I realized once that I could pretty much be blindfolded, board a ship, and not really be able to tell which line I was on since everything is the same. I had thought NCL would be different because of all of their marketing. Well, clearly their marketing worked on my because I chose them, but when all is said and done, I really didn't think anything was any different.

Even the ridiculous "real questions" that were asked of the cruise director staff that she told everybody about at the end of the week that she swore were really asked in the past week. (stairs go up? how do I know which pictures are mine? etc.)

I am glad that you liked your cruise. I noticed a large difference in the two cruises I went on (like I said the first was on RCL and the second on NCL). If I chose not to dress up like they wanted me to then I would have to eat in the buffet or have room service - which we all know isn't the greatest food. Yes, it is a choice, but I didn't have to dress up on NCL and still had a large number of actual dining rooms to choose from. In terms of choosing to eat when you want on RCL - I couldn't do that on a day by day basis. I chose the 8 dining time when I booked the cruise, but I wasn't hungry at 8 each and every night...so it was either eat the buffet or room service again, or eat when I'm not hungry. I think that you are playing a bit of a semantics game personally;) I know you aren't bashing the cruise and am glad that you had a good time. I just wanted to point out that from my point of view, the differences are astounding.

I hate those things too. I have been on several NCL cruises. Funny how 3 different cruise directors got the same questions in three different years... amazing....

I have heard these same questions on the four different lines we have cruised in the past 20 years. Like they say, nothing is really new under the sun. I don't mind, however, and the newbie cruisers think the questions are funny since they have never heard them before.

Dutrie,

I think the CD's have their own private message board where they share these stupid questions. I have heard the same question(s) on every cruise.

Anyone hear this one lately "Is the water in the toilets salt water?" wait for the crowd to stop chuckling then the Cd states "why would you want to know" or " there's one way to find out" wait for laughter......

Maybe we should start a new thread WHAT OLD JOKES HAS THE CRUISE DIRECTOR USED AT THE DEPARTURE LECTURE. Maybe then they will come up with some new material when they realize we've heard em all. I would even attend the lectures if I thought they might have some new jokes. LOL

I hate those things too. I have been on several NCL cruises. Funny how 3 different cruise directors got the same questions in three different years... amazing....

Gee....the cruise director on Royal Caribbean was also asked the same questions!:rolleyes:

Posted my reply halfway thru this thread and then read yours, spamwich!

Do you mean the CD's have their own version of cruisecritic? Perhaps cruisedirector.com where they share jokes, funny costumes and ideas for theme nights?

Not everyone that likes to "dress up" and look nice for dinner is a snob....:rolleyes:

I agree but looking at other lines boards in regards to dressing for dinner, one gets that feeling.

To the OP, if you eat at 4pm, it's no longer breakfast.

I think the OP meant breakfast food at 4:00 PM.

People are sure passoinate about their favorite cruiseline(s)

gauranteed that anytime someone posts a opinion or makes a statement that is contrary, the emotions erupt. NCL must be doing many things right, just look at the Loyalty of some of their past passengers.

I guess because I cruise for itinerary and price as my 2 priorities, I will not likely develop a love affair for any cruiseline. I urge everyone to remember this, you can love a corporation but a corporation will never love you back.

It's just a commodity folks I may not like cheerios and publically state that, but I don't think I deserve to be flamed for it.

Cheers,

I do have a question for the OP. I haven't been on any ship other then NCL for many years. Last time I did HA, RCCCL and CCL, we had to pick our dinner time and that was it. No buffets were offered other then at midnight. And I know that has changed.

My question is this. If I make a reservation on any of those lines to cruise, I am asked to select a dinner seating time. I'm not asked that on a NCL reservation. Why am I asked to choose a seating time if I can eat at any time? I'm not trying to be combative, I just don't understand. If I cruise with Carnival and choose the early seating for dinner, I don't have to eat at the early seating? I can show up at the later seating (or anytime in between) in one of the main resturants and be seating? How does that work?

I was on HAL Noordam last year when they had just started Anytime Dining. There was a huge brew-haha on the HAL boards about it:rolleyes: Anyway, when you made your reservation you could still choose a time for dining or you could choose Anytime Dining, which we did. It always worked very well for us as we could just show up at the main dining room anytime and be seated. You still made reservations for the specialty places. We sat at tables for two and we sat at tables with other people. We never had to wait. Also, they did have a fabulous buffet that was open during regular dining hours. Of course, being HAL to Alaska everything was shut down by 9pm:D

I think the OP meant breakfast food at 4:00 PM.

People are sure passoinate about their favorite cruiseline(s)

gauranteed that anytime someone posts a opinion or makes a statement that is contrary, the emotions erupt. NCL must be doing many things right, just look at the Loyalty of some of their past passengers.

I guess because I cruise for itinerary and price as my 2 priorities, I will not likely develop a love affair for any cruiseline. I urge everyone to remember this, you can love a corporation but a corporation will never love you back.

It's just a commodity folks I may not like cheerios and publically state that, but I don't think I deserve to be flamed for it.

Cheers,

I would have posted the same on any board, so loyalty has nothing to do with it. Some people have stated that they have no "favorite" cruiseline at all and they still answered the OP's question, in regards to Freestyle dining. The OP asked a specific question and people answered.

Chrisbd1,

I meant nothing personal to you at all :) ( can we still be friends?)

I guess I'm a little frustrated at times, cause I think we will lose our community if we can't all learn to be respectful of everyones opinions. again not directed at you.

I always like factual posts with out the emotions.

Did you really think he was upset because Breakfast wasn't served at 4 or do you think he wanted breakfast food at 4?

Cheers,

AMEN!!!!!! Although I have cruised on RCCL the most, I am not a cheerleader for RCCL and love to try as many cruise lines as I can. Each cruise line has their advantages and disadvantages.

Chrisbd1,

I meant nothing personal to you at all :) ( can we still be friends?)

I guess I'm a little frustrated at times, cause I think we will lose our community if we can't all learn to be respectful of everyones opinions. again not directed at you.

I always like factual posts with out the emotions.

Did you really think he was upset because Breakfast wasn't served at 4 or do you think he wanted breakfast food at 4?

Cheers,

I honestly have no idea. I like cheeseburgers for breakfast :)

I guess I'm a little frustrated at times, cause I think we will lose our community if we can't all learn to be respectful of everyones opinions.

Just had to say I think your fears are unfounded. I've certainly seen threads and individual posts go 'poof' in the night, but I'm sure the whole community won't disappear.:)

Just had to say I think your fears are unfounded. I've certainly seen threads and individual posts go 'poof' in the night, but I'm sure the whole community won't disappear.:)

It's kinda funny when individual post go poof. I will see people referring to a pulled post and wonder what the heck was said. I wish there was a place where pulled threads ived. I think they would be quite entertaining :)

Spanwhiches- We're cool!

I am cruising as a "civilian" for the first time on the Spirit in two (2!) weeks -- I, too, am curious as to how Freestyle will really compare to my experiences on other ships, through the years.

I worked on the QE2 in 1991 with passenger status. Our assigned dining room was the Mauratania, and that was IT. We ate at the Mauratania at the assiged dinner times, or we starved - even it it meant wolfing something down 15 minutes before doing a show. There were no buffets - though they would cook hamburgers and french fries during the day on the pool aft deck right outside our cabin. We were not officially allowed to partake of that -- but since we most often were up late and slept through breakfast, we snuck burgers into our cabins from the pool quite a lot. They would serve high tea every afternoon at 4:00 -- the entertainers would be served backstage, and that was often our only meal of the day. On nights when we had shows, we were allowed to attend the (nightly) midnight buffet. When in port we chowed down on Burger King; we were not allowed to keep food in our cabins (I usually had a package of cookies hidden under my bed).

In 1995 I worked on the Windward. WHAT a difference! Again, I had limited passenger status, so I had "access" to the main dining rooms, but I rarely dined there. Le Bistro was a favorite of ours -- we loved that we could eat there any time in the evening; it seemed so revolutionary to us. I had a refrigerator in my room, and a coffee pot...it's amazing what you can make with a coffee pot. When in port we would go grocery shopping! When family and friends cruised, we were delighted that we could go to their rooms during dinner and order room service right off the dining room menu. I speculated that if I ever were able to cruise as a vacation, I would order nothing but room service.

2000-2004 I worked for RCI, and cruised corporately as a passenger. Again -- HUGE difference with the changing times. I never set foot in the main dining rooms - though I had an assigned table and time. The Windjammer Buffet was a delightful surprise! There was a Johnny Rockets, a "Le Bistro" style specialty restaurant, and pizza available almost all the time. Gone was the opportunity to order from the main dining room in the cabin, but room service did serve in a pinch. And, you know, there was always bar snacks. ;) This time - no bringing our our own food on board.

SO -- while I realize my experiences are different than the usual cruiser, it's kind of interesting. It seems like RCI has a sort of a freestyle approach, save the dress code (which was never enforced in the Windjammer) and less choices? At any rate, I will find out in two (2!!) weeks!

Sure...but I can do that on most other lines as well. The commercials and literature for NCL would make you think that, as I said in my original post, the other lines put a gun to your head and force you into no choices at all.

When we boarded, when I first turned the TV on, there was a little welcome video, it showed how you should just throw your watch, alarm clock, etc, into the trash, meaning you could do whatever you wanted whenever you wanted. But that isn't true, if I wanted to sleep in until 10:30, then wanted breakfast...I was out of luck. If I wanted to have dinner at 4:30, I was out of luck.

I'm not knocking my cruise, I really liked it, please don't think that, BUT, it really seemed no different than any other cruise I have been on. I realized once that I could pretty much be blindfolded, board a ship, and not really be able to tell which line I was on since everything is the same. I had thought NCL would be different because of all of their marketing. Well, clearly their marketing worked on my because I chose them, but when all is said and done, I really didn't think anything was any different.

Even the ridiculous "real questions" that were asked of the cruise director staff that she told everybody about at the end of the week that she swore were really asked in the past week. (stairs go up? how do I know which pictures are mine? etc.)

I didn't think anyone like you existed anymore.

You know there was a TV ad not long ago, showing the lengths Fedex (or was it "Brown"?) would go to get your package to you....and they showed the truck driving straight up (vertically) the side of the building, toward (presumably) your office.

***** ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION ******

Courier trucks do NOT, I repeat: DO NOT drive up the side of your building, dirtying the windows & scaring the people taking a peek outside...

Please note, that this is a commercial concept designed to dramatize in an amusing fashion, the concept that we will go to great lengths to get your package delivered on time.

******Thank you for your attention ******

Enjoy FOOD at any time, with whomever you want.

*****ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION ******

This does NOT mean you can accost that pretty young thing (or hunky dude) and insist he/she join you for a meal, just because you're hungry...plus your current companion may object.

NCL makes no representations as to your ability to ACTUALLY eat with whomever you want.

:rolleyes:

I wish there was a place where pulled threads ived. I think they would be quite entertaining :)

To say the least. Maybe the board moderators have a special section for their amusement. LOL:p

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread... back to your regularly scheduled program...:D

Wear what you want, where you want is VERY misleading...we all packed a pair of jeans & older boys in cargo shorts which we decided to wear to the Magenta dining room...jeans & shorts were told to go change...so what is the point of saying wear what you want where you want when you want...if they really only mean that at the buffet then NCL is no different than any other line because any style of clothes is allowed in the buffet...after arguing with the higher above, we were all treated to LeBistro 1 evening...meanwhile my 15 yr old that was told to change wearing cargo shorts below his knees, 3 teen girls with mini skirts barely covering their tushes were all allowed in...you had to see how short their skirts were to believe it yet shorts below the knee was inappropriate.

On the Star in January, we were told there was no longer an Always Availabel menu, and also that there was no kids menu. They had pared down some things because of Noro when we sailed..maybe that had something to do with it.

NCL does have an "Always Available" menu in the main dining rooms which includes a steak, grilled chicken, baked potaoe and Ceasar Salad (among other things). In addition, the kids menus in the restaurants are the same throughout the ship and anyone can order off the kids menu. There are hamburgers, cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets for example on the kids menu.

So tell your mom not to worry, what you have told her is true.

Archived