1. Summer Palace/Indigo
  2. Blue Lagoon
  3. Garden Cafe
  4. Topside/Pool Deck
  5. La Cucina
  6. Mambos
  7. Room Service
  8. Great Outdoors

That's eight options. You're certainly free to have your opinion, but there are certainly more than Garden and Blue Lagoon.

Not really 8. The Garden Cafe, Pool Deck, and the Great Outdoors are really all the same stuff.

The Blue Lagoon kind of sucked

La Cucina is $10 per person

Room Service still requires a tip and really has the same options as the buffet style places.

Mambos (Tequila on the Gem), yes, I conceed that one. The service wasn't that good though, the waitress just seemed bothered at anyone being there.

Le Bistro was available on the Norway in 1989 when we started cruising.

Any other "facts" you need corrected?:rolleyes:

The NCL bashers are out in force today.

PE

Well, it wasn't on the Seaward in 1992, probably because of the size of the ship.

1994 was the first time we saw it, so that's why I asked as a question. Besides the Norway, did any other ship in the fleet have it before the Dream or Wind?

As I recall, it was a novelty and many on board the Dreamward (as it was known at the time) hadn't seen it before, nor would they pay the exorbitant :rolleyes: five dollar fee to eat there. We did once that trip and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Five years later, it had the only decent dinner compared to some pretty watered down "gourmet" food in the main dining room, and the buffets as well were no where near as nice.

If telling my opinion about the decline in a product I thoroughly enjoyed fifteen years ago is bashing, then so be it.

One more thing, and maybe this should be a separate thread since I would like others feedback on it. But I was under the impression that I could make reservations at any of the dining rooms at any time. Turns out, it is only for the speciality dining rooms. I was unable to make reservations for either of the main dining rooms for a party of 2....THAT i believe isn't true on Princess.

So yeah, you can make reservations...as long as you are willing to pay for it (except Tequila of course)

I am cruising as a "civilian" for the first time on the Spirit in two (2!) weeks -- I, too, am curious as to how Freestyle will really compare to my experiences on other ships, through the years.

I worked on the QE2 in 1991 with passenger status. Our assigned dining room was the Mauratania, and that was IT. We ate at the Mauratania at the assiged dinner times, or we starved - even it it meant wolfing something down 15 minutes before doing a show. There were no buffets - though they would cook hamburgers and french fries during the day on the pool aft deck right outside our cabin. We were not officially allowed to partake of that -- but since we most often were up late and slept through breakfast, we snuck burgers into our cabins from the pool quite a lot. They would serve high tea every afternoon at 4:00 -- the entertainers would be served backstage, and that was often our only meal of the day. On nights when we had shows, we were allowed to attend the (nightly) midnight buffet. When in port we chowed down on Burger King; we were not allowed to keep food in our cabins (I usually had a package of cookies hidden under my bed).

In 1995 I worked on the Windward. WHAT a difference! Again, I had limited passenger status, so I had "access" to the main dining rooms, but I rarely dined there. Le Bistro was a favorite of ours -- we loved that we could eat there any time in the evening; it seemed so revolutionary to us. I had a refrigerator in my room, and a coffee pot...it's amazing what you can make with a coffee pot. When in port we would go grocery shopping! When family and friends cruised, we were delighted that we could go to their rooms during dinner and order room service right off the dining room menu. I speculated that if I ever were able to cruise as a vacation, I would order nothing but room service.

2000-2004 I worked for RCI, and cruised corporately as a passenger. Again -- HUGE difference with the changing times. I never set foot in the main dining rooms - though I had an assigned table and time. The Windjammer Buffet was a delightful surprise! There was a Johnny Rockets, a "Le Bistro" style specialty restaurant, and pizza available almost all the time. Gone was the opportunity to order from the main dining room in the cabin, but room service did serve in a pinch. And, you know, there was always bar snacks. ;) This time - no bringing our our own food on board.

SO -- while I realize my experiences are different than the usual cruiser, it's kind of interesting. It seems like RCI has a sort of a freestyle approach, save the dress code (which was never enforced in the Windjammer) and less choices? At any rate, I will find out in two (2!!) weeks!

Formerjar,

Were you an entertainer? Headliner/singer maybe? I'm a Stage Manager and would LOVE to find a good ship to work on and enjoy my love of cruising while getting paid! Have fun as a civilian and don't critique the shows TOO much!;)

Wear what you want, where you want is VERY misleading...we all packed a pair of jeans & older boys in cargo shorts which we decided to wear to the Magenta dining room...jeans & shorts were told to go change...so what is the point of saying wear what you want where you want when you want...if they really only mean that at the buffet then NCL is no different than any other line because any style of clothes is allowed in the buffet...after arguing with the higher above, we were all treated to LeBistro 1 evening...meanwhile my 15 yr old that was told to change wearing cargo shorts below his knees, 3 teen girls with mini skirts barely covering their tushes were all allowed in...you had to see how short their skirts were to believe it yet shorts below the knee was inappropriate.

First of all, I cannot believe that anyone goes on a cruise without first finiding exactly what dress codes/policies are. This is directly from NCL's website:

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

Carnival now allows men only, to wear knee length shorts in their dining room(s) in the evening and to my knowledge this is the first cruise line to ever allow this. And most likely, it is restricted to certain dining rooms.

Jeans are allowed in all NCL dining venues except for one of the main dining rooms.

You certainly CAN wear what you want when you want and there will always be a place for you to dine. NCL never told you that you you could wear what you want to EVERY dining venue.

Sorry that you didn't check it out prior to going and then it wouldn't have been a surprise that distrupted your cruise.

Yes, but on NCL, I don't even have to be assigned to a table. I can choose who I want to dine with every night without having to make a request to have my table changed.

And once again, if you don't want to play by the rules of traditional dining and be forced to sit with strangers, you are relegated to the buffet or room service. How ridiculous.

Yes, but according to what I have been told, if I want to not have to dress up on my upcoming RCCL cruise, I will be forced to go to the buffet instead of the main dining room on formal night.

On NCL, I can dine in the main dining rooms even on the optional formal nights in casual clothes. On the other lines, I am reduced to going to the buffet for dinner because I don't like to dress up on vacation. The snobs who want to dress up don't rule the dining rooms on NCL like they do on the other lines.

At one time, many of these things were only on NCL. The other lines have began to copy them from NCL. It is a sure sign of the success and acceptance of something when it is copied by your competitors.

As I said in my post, Sea Goddess offered dining when you wanted and no formal nights in the 1980's, way before freestyle.

Ren copied it on their 6 ships in the 1990's, again before freestyle, with a main dining room, two specialty restaurants, and an outdoor veranda buffet dining option, and Oceania bought their ships and continues the "tradition" of free style dining (no charges for any restaurants either), and is totally country club casual, just like the other two.

NCL was never the first to offer non-assigned dining. Not even the second. Three of the big four luxury lines offer it as well, and their version doesn't have charges either. RSSC, SS and SB all offer it, with the added attraction of having more than enough seating in the main and specialty dining rooms so the entire ship can be sitting at tables being served without resorting to pagers or waiting. The buffet options are actually not necessary in order to feed everyone at once. They are just an option if you want a quicker dinner without all the courses, or if you are on one of the voyages where there are formal nights, the buffet is the alternative location to avoid wearing the tux (as is dining from the full dinner menus in your suite or on your balcony at no extra charge).

Yes, but on NCL, I don't even have to be assigned to a table. I can choose who I want to dine with every night without having to make a request to have my table changed.

But you also have the risk of not getting in at the restaurant of your choice and at a specific time. You can make a ressie, but wouldn't that be planning???

And once again, if you don't want to play by the rules of traditional dining and be forced to sit with strangers, you are relegated to the buffet or room service. How ridiculous.

On the 2 lines I was on, you can request not to sit with others.

Yes, but according to what I have been told, if I want to not have to dress up on my upcoming RCCL cruise, I will be forced to go to the buffet instead of the main dining room on formal night.

I didn't mention RCCL. I went on Princess and Disney. I believe I said that many people came to dinner in casual clothing even on formal night. As long as you weren't wearing a bathing suit, barefoot or naked....., I didn't see anyone ever get turned away.

On NCL, I can dine in the main dining rooms even on the optional formal nights in casual clothes. On the other lines, I am reduced to going to the buffet for dinner because I don't like to dress up on vacation. The snobs who want to dress up don't rule the dining rooms on NCL like they do on the other lines.

As mentioned, on Princess and Disney you don't have to dress up, casual was fine at dinner.

At one time, many of these things were only on NCL. The other lines have began to copy them from NCL. It is a sure sign of the success and acceptance of something when it is copied by your competitors.

I don't care who copies who. NCL's commercials are trying to give the impression that everyone else makes you do things at certain times. They are basically the same as the others when it comes to excursions, ship activities, spa appointments, tanning etc. Please don't tell me that NCL was the first to offer all of these and everyone copied them.

NCL should focus on what they do and not imply things that are not true on other lines.

Uh, ever hard of advertising? Do you really think that Tide is better then Ajax? Or Jiffy is better then Peter Pan? Watch their commercials and they will sure try to convince you of that. It's what advertising is all about and I don't know why you and others are bothered that cruise lines do it the same as any other product.

Did you read the words...obviously they are suppose to do that.....

yes I get it I'm not an idiot.

People are sure passoinate about their favorite cruiseline(s)

gauranteed that anytime someone posts a opinion or makes a statement that is contrary, the emotions erupt.

Cheers,

I agree, but why do people on this board have to argue and to contradict everything and anything!! People get so bent out of shape about others opinions. I always feel like what I say is being attacked or put down or corrected. And then I course I have to explain myself.

People we are talking about vacations here. LIGHTEN UP!!!!! The OP was just making small talk about why all the hype over the freestyle cruising. Not cause a war. The idea was not meant to put down NCL. My comments were not meant to be negative toward NCL, just comments about how silly it is for them to have the commercials that they have. Come on NCL, let's come up with something better!!!

• Administrators

I think the irony of some of the posts on this thread is this -- I NEVER watch network TV. I watch very limited cable TV (mostly Discovery Channel, National Geographic, History, etc). I've never seen an NCL commercial except on their website -- and the most recent ones I've seen there weren't those being attacked here, but the ones with the "table companions from hell" that you might find on other lines.

To those pointing to the Sea Goddess (long since sold) and the Renaissance line (also long since sold) luxury lines -- we are talking MAINSTREAM cruising, for a mainstream price, here. You are on the NCL board... which, like every other mainstream line, is trying to furnish a product to thousands of passengers on multiple ships every day. Of those lines, it absolutely was NCL that first started offering some individuated tweaks to the standard daily regimen, and which has continued to do so.

I think it's great that Oceania bought the Ren ships and offers a more relaxed dining experience -- and if I ever hit the lottery, and/or want to spend as much for a cruise vacation as I would for a car or a year of a college education, I'll sail that line. :D

Anyway, as I said above, that doesn't make NCL so "all that," but it might explain why those who have travelled other MAINSTREAM lines (like Princess) might then sail NCL and say "what's the big deal?" which was the only point of this entire thread by the OP.

Personally I hate all the cruise line commercials that try to make themselves look better than the others.....

Me too, but the NCL ones are funny and I can't recall any cruise line commercials that say "we're no better than the other guy, so sail with us" ;) (I don't think it would be a successful ad campaign)

Not really 8. The Garden Cafe, Pool Deck, and the Great Outdoors are really all the same stuff.

The Blue Lagoon kind of sucked

La Cucina is $10 per person

Room Service still requires a tip and really has the same options as the buffet style places.

Mambos (Tequila on the Gem), yes, I conceed that one. The service wasn't that good though, the waitress just seemed bothered at anyone being there.

First, the Great Outdoors serves more options then the pool deck. The Garden serves a far, far greater variety of options than the pool deck. One of your main complaints was about seating, as well, so saying there was nowhere to sit, then saying "Oh, all those places that did have seating are the same" doesn't make much sense.

Second, room service doesn't require a tip. I wouldn't order without tipping, but it's technically included in the service charge.

Third, you are correct about La Cucina, but that is a test program only on the Gem. You shouldn't judge all of Freestyle by something that is only taking place on one ship.

As I said before, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I'm not going to contradict something as subjective as opinions on food quality. I'm only jumping in to correct factual errors.

I don't care who copies who. NCL's commercials are trying to give the impression that everyone else makes you do things at certain times. They are basically the same as the others when it comes to excursions, ship activities, spa appointments, tanning etc. Please don't tell me that NCL was the first to offer all of these and everyone copied them.

NCL should focus on what they do and not imply things that are not true on other lines.

Sorry, I've got to quote myself. I was editing the above post and I took too long. I was trying to answer within the quote and it didn't work.

We like to sail different cruiselines because we like variety--from the production shows to comedians and all the different restaurants. There are things we like on each cruiseline and things we don't.

We love dining in a different venue each night of our cruise--from the large formal dining rooms to the small intimate venues like LeBistro.

We were very disappointed to only have one specialty restaurant on RCCL Explorer of the Seas--especially since it is such a huge ship. We got very bored with assigned dining times on Explorer after a few days. I like having options when I am tired after a port day. On NCL, I know that if I am tired that I can just go the main dining room anytime or call to see if there are openings at the specialty venues last minute. We did this on NCL Pearl and were delighted to get a reservation last minute at the Italian restaurant--which has no fees.

The two anytime main dining rooms, as well as the Italian and Mexican restaurant do not charge any fees. That gives you four different nights of dining somewhere different without paying anything additional. LeBistro (French) is $15pp and my favorite, the Asian restaurant, is only $10pp. That is peanuts compared to the cost we pay on other cruiselines where the average specialty restaurant is $20-25pp. RCCL only has one specialty restaurant on their Voyager size ships. On RCCL, there just aren't any restaurants for people who are tired and just want to dine when they feel hungry instead of when they are scheduled. I don't consider eating in a buffet line the same as a sit down meal.

That's why we enjoy Princess and NCL so much. What we most like on NCL is such a variety of restaurants: French, Italian, Mexican, Steak House, Asian, American, and two main dining rooms.

We don't mind dining in the same restaurant every night on a short cruise but we just don't want to be at the same table and same restaurant night after night when we are sailing for a week or more.

I can't imagine staying at a hotel and eating at the same hotel restaurant at the same time every night of my vacation .

I think the commercials are funny :) . I like the Royal Caribbean one where they talk about the cabin being filled with long-stemmed roses. I never had long stemmed roses or any of the other things they were talking about but I understand the sentiment.

Formerjar,

Were you an entertainer? Headliner/singer maybe? I'm a Stage Manager and would LOVE to find a good ship to work on and enjoy my love of cruising while getting paid! Have fun as a civilian and don't critique the shows TOO much!;)

SakeDad - I sang, yes - both on my own and as a "JAR" (Jean Ann Ryan singers and dancers...). Then I worked as a musical director for RCI.

Both Jean Ann and Royal Caribbean Productions interview technicians/stage managers on their audition tours. Check out their websites or Backstage, etc., to find out when they'll be nearest you.

Good luck! It's a great way to see the world. I can finally wait to FINALLY get my husband on a ship!

I think the OP meant breakfast food at 4:00 PM.

People are sure passoinate about their favorite cruiseline(s)

gauranteed that anytime someone posts a opinion or makes a statement that is contrary, the emotions erupt. NCL must be doing many things right, just look at the Loyalty of some of their past passengers.

I guess because I cruise for itinerary and price as my 2 priorities, I will not likely develop a love affair for any cruiseline. I urge everyone to remember this, you can love a corporation but a corporation will never love you back.

It's just a commodity folks I may not like cheerios and publically state that, but I don't think I deserve to be flamed for it.

Cheers,

You are so right! I was thinking the same things and you expressed it perfectly. ;)

I have to say, I have never been on CC boards where others had such strong opinions about a particular cruiseline and flamed others who held different opinions. I look to the boards for advice and imput from others on many topics. Just because others have a different view, they shouldnt be jumped on by all the cruiseline groupies. :rolleyes:

Every cruiseline has plusses and minuses...and opinions are like butts...everyone has one...let's have a kinder gentler discussion...so much more fun!:D

PS Now I am waiting to be jumped on....oh well...jump away!

You are so right! I was thinking the same things and you expressed it perfectly. ;)

I have to say, I have never been on CC boards where others had such strong opinions about a particular cruiseline and flamed others who held different opinions. I look to the boards for advice and imput from others on many topics. Just because others have a different view, they shouldnt be jumped on by all the cruiseline groupies. :rolleyes:

Every cruiseline has plusses and minuses...and opinions are like butts...everyone has one...let's have a kinder gentler discussion...so much more fun!:D

PS Now I am waiting to be jumped on....oh well...jump away!

No jumping here, maybe just a bit of an explanation.

I am a new cruiser to NCL having previously sailed on HA, RCCL and Carnival. I enjoyed all my previous cruises...didn't have a complaint about any of them.

When looking to go on our recent cruise, we chose NCL for one thing and one thing only. My DD and DSIL were traveling with us with my 9 month old grandson and NCL was the only cruiseline that didn't charge full price for an infant. So we decided to give them a try.

After booking, I found these boards and what I read here scared me to death. Many postings made it sound like we were booked on a garbage scowl.

I don't know why but NCL really gets attacked harshly, and continuously by those that cruise on other lines. Some say it's because they implemented free style which traditional cruisers feel will change around the whole industry. Some say it's because of the NCLA problem in Hawaii. I honestly don't know why but can tell you, it's bad.

After completeing my NCL cruise, having a fantastic time and finding it more then equal to the other lines I have sailed, I must admit that the negativity ticks me off. No, I don't have stock in NCL and yes, I understand that I'm not important to NCL. They don't care about me personally, nor do they know me, nor do they give me any special rates or attention. But I feel that they supply a quality product for a mass cruise line market. And when I see the negativity that seems to come from nowhere in comments such as:

"I've heard that NCL's food is rottten"

"Someone said that you have to wait in lines for hours to get in the dining room on NCL"

"NCL is cheap because they are always pushing drinks, bingo, et"

"I wouldn't ever cruise NCL because they allow people to go to dinner in swimsuits, shorts, etc...totally classless"

It bugs me. Most have never stepped foot on a NCL cruise and are simply spouting out negatives when they really have no clue and although I shouldn't, I get defensive. LOL

If someone has been on a NCL ship and had problems, or didn't like it, that is a viable complaint. I have no problem with that and understand that they either did truly have a bad trip, or NCL is simply not to their liking.

But when the bashers come out in full force, with no personal knowledge of NCL, it cause those of us who do have personal experience, and like NCL, to come out in full force in their defense.

I have to say, I have never been on CC boards where others had such strong opinions about a particular cruiseline and flamed others who held different opinions.

You are going to find the same "savagery" on any board here at CC. Every line has their "cheerleaders" that come to their favorite lines defense if they believe someone is attacking their choice of cruiseline.

PE

I have been on the RCL and CCL boards, and trust me, I did not experience "feedback" like I have seen on the NCL. I can appreciate that folks like NCL and want to defend it...honestly, I love to hear what they have to say since I am going on my first NCL cruise in a month. But, what gets me, is while they are defending NCL, they frequently sound angry at the OP who is expressing an opinion or relaying a story about a negative they have experienced while cruising....it is a little disconserting to think that I am going to be cruising with some angry people who have no tolerance for others thoughts and opinions. :( Sometimes I get the impression that some of the OP work for NCL...lol...:rolleyes:

Anyway, with that said, I am so looking forward to my Alaskan cruise aboard the Star! I will find out for myself, if I like freestyle, and all that NCL has to offer! :D

I have been on the RCL and CCL boards, and trust me, I did not experience "feedback" like I have seen on the NCL.

Trust me it happens. It does not happen as frequently as it happens here but it does happen. I think there are a few from other lines that see it as sport to come over here are rile up the regulars.

PE

I guess when we feel picked on, we react.

From a HAL posting:

Last year we took our now married daughter (who is a doctor, says this very proud father), her husband and our three grandchildren on an NCL ten day cruise to the Caribbean from NYC. We switched to NCL because they have a unique Villa Garden three bedroom suite which is unlike anything we have experienced on any cruise ship. Besides the three bedrooms it also has a living room and a dining room, a private deck area with a hot tub and suana and almost exclusive use of a butler. The only problem is that this great suite is wasted on a second class cruise line.

OUCH!

I guess when we feel picked on, we react.

From a HAL posting:

Last year we took our now married daughter (who is a doctor, says this very proud father), her husband and our three grandchildren on an NCL ten day cruise to the Caribbean from NYC. We switched to NCL because they have a unique Villa Garden three bedroom suite which is unlike anything we have experienced on any cruise ship. Besides the three bedrooms it also has a living room and a dining room, a private deck area with a hot tub and suana and almost exclusive use of a butler. The only problem is that this great suite is wasted on a second class cruise line.

OUCH!

Don't you love it? Rave reviews about the suite then bam.......2nd class cruise line. I hope that this was only part of the review and at least he went on to explain why NCL is a 2nd class cruise line. LOL

Just off the Dawn for a crowded spring break/easter cruise. I saw no enforcement to the dress code in the main dining rooms. I don't mind jeans....as in dress jeans....but when I saw torn jeans and t-shirts.....I was a bit shocked.

Don't you love it? Rave reviews about the suite then bam.......2nd class cruise line. I hope that this was only part of the review and at least he went on to explain why NCL is a 2nd class cruise line. LOL

It wasn't a review. He was talking about some other issue and just threw this zinger in. No one even commented on it-they know NCL is a 2nd class line :rolleyes:

Archived