Louis Hellenic "Aquamarine" reviews, please

sajabe

My mother and I have booked a cruise for July, and while it's too late to change it if the reviews are bad, I'm curious to hear what people have to say about their ship "Aquamarine." I've read some terrible reviews of some of their other ships (although other people then disagreed with those) but couldn't find anything about this ship. Yes, I know... I should ask BEFORE I book next time...!!! Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got off the Aquamarine and I don't have great news for you. First of all let me start this post with the fact that I have taken five other cruises with Royal Carribean Cruise lines and you can not compare the two. Secondly after doing some searching I discovered that my huysband and I were on this exact boat 19 years ago for our honeymoon. It was then owned by Royal Carriebean.

Well, not much about the physical appearance of the boat has changed. Maybe they did change some carpet in the hallways, some seats in some of the bars and they took away the RCCL signature Viking Crown Lounge.

I will start with our cabin. We had an inside cabin with twin beds. I don't think the bedspreads were changed since our honeymoon. There was a constant odor of urine in the bathroom and our entire bathroom filled with two inches of water every time we showered. This water stayed there until the ship tilted the other way and the water was able to run back into the shower drain (someone had forgotten to put in an additional floor drain in the bathroom). When we went into our cabin, it had not been vacuumed since the last occupants and I found stuff left by them in the draws. We had no soap or shampoo and I spent two days asking for pool towels to be left in our cabin. Other people got those tacky towel animals left at night but we did not. In my son's cabin the toilet seat fell off and took two days to have it fixed correctly. The poor boy had to use our bathroom, because he was afraid to sit on it.

The alcohol at the bars was definetly watered down. The service was sparse. At the buffets, there were constantly dirty dishes left on the tables. Again maybe I am comparing this to RCCL, but on that line you barely are finished with your food and they are cleaning up after you.

In the dining room, our waiter was down right rude and rushed us through dinner every night. He also didn't give each of us a menu and gave us about 30 seconds after sitting down to decide what we wanted. Second helpings were not an option.

I have to say the food wasn't bad. There were some good choices. Breakfast was exactly the same everyday, but there was variety. We did get scolded for using a coffee cup for juice (even though there wasn't any jucie cups available).

Tha cappacino and specialty coffees were good. We bought the all inclusive drink plan. I think we broke even with this. I liked it because I didn't have to worry about paying each time I got my afternoon cappacino.

But to top all this off, there were many people who got a nasty stomach bug on this boat. My son was vomiting for 8 hours and he missed a whole day of his cruise and then spent the next couple of days of our vaction feeling pretty crummy. Then his buddy got sick, and then my husband.

So all and all I would not recommend this cruise line. The islands were great and we enjoyed that very much.

We took the taste of Crete tour and didn't think it was worth the money. The rest of the tours were good. Ephisus, Volcano in Santorini and the bus to Myknos (although I think the cruise line should have offered this no charge).

Hope you can enjoy your trip. One piece of advice is hand wash constantly and sanatize your hands after you serve yourself from the buffets and before you eat.

The non alchol card was about 32 Euros and included kiddie cocktails and sodas.

The adult card was 79euros and included wine, cocktail of the day, martinis, I think shots of most liquor and coffee, capp and esspresso.

Please be careful about getting sick on this boat. I just found out another child in our group has become ill and he is now hospitalized. We left the boat last Friday April 25th. But the group was together until April 27th so we could still have been passing it along. My husband and son were ill but so far I am fine. I am a diligent hand washer and sanitizer.

About my review of the ship. I just want to let you know that I am not really a picky person and my husband is even less picky than I am. We are usually the type of people who can find the best in a situation. He too was disappointed with the ship.

We usually take other reviews in stride and find that other's negative comments, are not how we feel when we have the same experience. But this ship deserved my negative review.

Just wanted to clarify.

• 4 months later...

I'm leaving soon for a Cosmos tour, "Greece and the Aegean," The "Aegean" segment apparently will be on Louis Cruise Lines' Aquamarine. A Wikipedia entry shows a long and convoluted history, but I, too, have found few reviews. Hopefully, Joshscure's experiences were not typical. I'll post an update after I return.

• 3 weeks later...

"Aquamarine" has sailed under the names of "Carousel," and "Arielle," among others, and the Cruise Critic "Reviews" section continues to list the ship as "Arielle." Before my trip it was difficult to find information about "Aquamarine." I was hoping that Joshscure's review was overly negative. As it turns out, I agree completely with Joshscure's comments.

As far as I know, however, no one on my cruise got sick, and to give management credit, there are sanitizers and hand washing advisories all over the ship. "Sneeze shields" are located directly over food at buffets, and it's almost impossible to touch items with your fingers. Unfortunately, that's about the most positive thing I can say about my experience, that I didn't get sick.

Unlike many other posters on CC, I was on my first cruise, as part of a Cosmos tour of Greece. On boarding, I couldn't help noticing the the "Aquamarine," built in 1971 had clearly not been updated since. From the faux tiger skin upholstery in the lounge to the plastic flowers at reception, it was immediately clear that this was no luxury cruise.

My room. an inside "superior," had frayed carpet, worn bedding, and a wobbly chair. Most important, it smelled heavily of mildew. Pillows had the odor of the many heads that had slept on them over the years. I wish that I brought along a can or two of disinfectant spray. Food was adequate, but hardly fine dining, I experienced soggy manicotti, strangely tender steak, cold breakfasts and weak cocktails.

Although my room attendant was lovely, service was a step above surly in most cases. An €8 gratuities charge, per person, per day, is added to your account, but it can be raised or lowered on request. Most people in my group had that charge lowered by at least one-half. I probably should have done the same.

All that having been stated, if you've booked a group tour including Greek islands, there's a very good chance that you'll be on a Louis Cruise, as they've apparently cornered the market. Maintain low expectations, a positive attitude, and you'll do OK. Visiting the Greek islands is a memorable experience, and that's really what it's all about.

• 11 months later...

We went on this ship in March for a 3 day cruise to a few Greek Isles. The ship was old, and dingy. The staff were very unfriendly discourteous and not helpful in the least with the exception of the clerks in the ship store.

The entertainment was not as good as many middle school productions we have attended. The outside premium cabin we had was tiny with one small porthole, the bed linens were worn and smelled old,the carpet was threadbare and the cabin itself smelled musty.. The food was OK and plentiful.

The ship is a destination ship meant to ferry tourists to the various Greek isles but I think the tour operators could have selected better.

Definetly the worst cruise I have ever taken. An overnite cruise from Portland Maine to Nova Scotia was much more enjoyable than this 3 day debacle

:mad:

Edited by ltwhb

• 2 weeks later...

We've been on 16 or 17 cruises on almost all of the mass market cruise lines and on a variety of itineraries. A 3 day cruise on the Aquamarine is included in final days of my 10 day Bible study trip to Greece. I have no expectation, whatsoever, that the time on the ship will be a highlight as with most of our other cruise vacations. I am counting on the time on the ship to relax (read, etc) and considering the ship as mere transportation to Rhodes, Patmos and Kusadasi. Anything more will be a pleasant "plus". :)

Though you might find this interesting. The subsidiary of Louis Cruises was officially launched in India on the 19th of September 2009. MV Aquamarine, a 1,200 passenger capacity cruise vessel will cruise from its homeport in Kochi.

http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/blog1/articles/new-cruise-venture-taps-indian-market-opportunity/

• 2 weeks later...

I just did a three day cruise on the Aquamarine and had a wonderful time. The ship is old, but it is well kept. It is a proper cruise ships and not a gigantic floating resort. She is the way ships should be with lots of open deck space, proper lines, good food and attentive staff. Itinerary was good too. If one boards her with low expectations, it will be wonderfully surprised. Expecting your nowadays average cruise ship, with an array of enterntainment, etc will lead to dissapointment.

While on board I heard about Aquamarine going to India. It makes sense as Louis will be adding a new ship to the fleet in December.

Cruise was quite full and most passengers seem quite happy with ship, staff and cruise in general

• 4 months later...

We are booked on a 4 day Greek Isle cruise on the Aquamarine for March 15, 2010. Does anyone have any update about the Aquamarine moving to India? Is there a new ship replacing it, or was the move to India just for the winter season?

If you have any current information about this, we'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

I am scheduled for a cruise on I think the Aquamarine on May 3, 2010. I originally thought we were sailing on the Agean Pearl, but when I checked on Louis Cruise line's web page, it appears we will be sailing on the Aquamarine. If this ship was transfered to India, it appears to be back in Greece for the Spring.

• 2 weeks later...

And here's a family of four (me, my wife and 2 boys, ages 17 and 13)...booked for March 29, 2010 sail for a 4 day cruise. A bit apprehensive but due to time constraint opted for this inter-islands cruise. I am equaling my expectation to a cruise down the Nile...I may be wrong because we were really pampered then. So I am not setting my expectations too high and perhaps that will help...with a bit of luck...this may turn out to be an OK experience! I want to hear from more people!

I had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. While nowhere near the "destination ship" category of vessel, absolutely adequate for transportation between some of the most fabulous cruise spots in the world!

Focus on the ports, NOT the vessel (food, cabin, entertainment, etc) and you'll have a great time.

Edited by Ballwin Babe
spelling

Ballwin Babe, ITA Yes, lowering expectations eases the disappointments a bit...I think that's key and it's been said that this boat is not the destination but a vessel to see the fantastic islands. BTW, does anyone know how to change the username...I am new to the forum...thanks!

I took the 5 day Greece cruise last year and as long as you see the ship as a place to get from point A to point B and nothing more you'll be fine. The food is pretty bad, but luckily you'll have plenty of choices to eat on shore. There was a baggage handlers strike that caused the entire ship to board a few hours late my first day. By the time we got on and did the mandatory safety drill the kitchens had closed already and all the passengers told tough luck until dinner time. I really feel they should have acted in a more professional manner and adjusted the times to reflect the situation especially if it was outside the passengers control. Also, I hope you like wine, because if you don't good luck getting something to drink at dinner. Every time I ate in the dining hall I had to ask at least 3 times for a glass of water, many times not getting it before I finished my meal. Another frequent problem I had was finding somewhere to sit in the cafeteria area. Passengers would often race to the tables to throw down their coats as 'place holders' and then spend 20+ minutes in the buffet line getting their food while their table sits empty. By the time you are through with the line and have your food there's a sea of "empty" tables yet not one space you can actually sit down at. Think of Louis lines like a late night meal at Denny's:ts cheap, it does the job, and "service" is a very subjective term. ;)

Thanks for the input...leaving in a month's time and yet another level of lowering my expectations. But you are correct and I knew that when I booked out trip that it will be a way to go from point a to b and really nothing more. Thanks for the reality check nowayjose3! I've already alerted my wife and 2 boys and hopefully not to many frowns and disappointments along the way. What do you suggest we should bring so add a bit of comforts of home? Room fresheners? Slippers? Hairdryer? Soft towels? Handiwipes? Thanks in advance!

I took the 5 day Greece cruise last year and as long as you see the ship as a place to get from point A to point B and nothing more you'll be fine. The food is pretty bad, but luckily you'll have plenty of choices to eat on shore. There was a baggage handlers strike that caused the entire ship to board a few hours late my first day. By the time we got on and did the mandatory safety drill the kitchens had closed already and all the passengers told tough luck until dinner time. I really feel they should have acted in a more professional manner and adjusted the times to reflect the situation especially if it was outside the passengers control. Also, I hope you like wine, because if you don't good luck getting something to drink at dinner. Every time I ate in the dining hall I had to ask at least 3 times for a glass of water, many times not getting it before I finished my meal. Another frequent problem I had was finding somewhere to sit in the cafeteria area. Passengers would often race to the tables to throw down their coats as 'place holders' and then spend 20+ minutes in the buffet line getting their food while their table sits empty. By the time you are through with the line and have your food there's a sea of "empty" tables yet not one space you can actually sit down at. Think of Louis lines like a late night meal at Denny's:ts cheap, it does the job, and "service" is a very subjective term. ;)
Edited by petpringles

• 3 weeks later...
And here's a family of four (me, my wife and 2 boys, ages 17 and 13)...booked for March 29, 2010 sail for a 4 day cruise. A bit apprehensive but due to time constraint opted for this inter-islands cruise. I am equaling my expectation to a cruise down the Nile...I may be wrong because we were really pampered then. So I am not setting my expectations too high and perhaps that will help...with a bit of luck...this may turn out to be an OK experience! I want to hear from more people!

Hi Petpringles, I would love to hear your experience after your cruise to get some current feedback of the Louis cruise line and their ships. I will be in Athens after a HAL cruise in October, and am considering this 4-day Greek Island cruise due to time constraints like you. However, the reviews of Aquamarine are mixed, ranging from very poor to very good, and the reviews are not very current, so maybe they have improved now? We are not fussy travellers, but do expect a minimum level of cleaniless and quality. Some of the reviews really alarmed me. So any latest review from you or other travellers on this cruise in the near future is appreciated. I have a post for feedback under "Greece port", and here is the link below where you can read feedback from others: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1163240

Hi Petpringles, I would love to hear your experience after your cruise to get some current feedback of the Louis cruise line and their ships. I will be in Athens after a HAL cruise in October, and am considering this 4-day Greek Island cruise due to time constraints like you. However, the reviews of Aquamarine are mixed, ranging from very poor to very good, and the reviews are not very current, so maybe they have improved now? We are not fussy travellers, but do expect a minimum level of cleaniless and quality. Some of the reviews really alarmed me. So any latest review from you or other travellers on this cruise in the near future is appreciated. I have a post for feedback under "Greece port", and here is the link below where you can read feedback from others: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1163240

2curious...will definitely post. As I too have the same problem as youa s trying to get hte lastest info. I have warned my family not to expect much more than a ferry with very few amenities...best, petpringles.

I did a 3 day sailing on the Aquamarine after a week in Greece. I am a "seasoned" cruiser and have enjoyed all of the mass-market cruise line, favorite being HAL. That being said, I didn't mind this sailing at all. Truly it is a sleep-aboard ferry. The food is edible, the beds are horizontal. The ship and the cabin appeared clean. Everything functioned as expected. Don't fret! You'll be in amazingly gorgeous part of the world...just go with it and ENJOY! :p

My husband and I just did a 4 night cruise on the Aquamarine. This is our first cruise so I don't have anything to compare it with other than what others have told me.

There were a lot of teenagers on the boat on school field trips. They were generally well behaved after they settled down after a day or so.

The ship is almost 40 years old - it appears the decor hasn't changed. The food was fair at best. The sit-down restaurant was clean and nice, but sometimes took forever to get your food. Often orders were forgotten. The first day we spent almost an hour after being served our salad before we got our main course. We then started eating in the cafeteria "Bistro" when it was open - the food there was just ok, sometimes bad. One day almost every tray at the cafeteria was empty even though the lunch hour was only half over. We waited until they finally refilled the buffet table. Cocktails are watered down, or sickeningly sweet.

All cabins apparently have twin beds. We stayed in a "superior" view room. The beds were hard, pillows thin, sheets/bedspread threadbare. The shower in the bathroom was smaller than a phonebooth - could barely turn around in it. There was a strong urine smell at times in the bathroom. The staff that cleaned the room/bathroom were very nice and very attentive, but there wasn't anything they could do about that stink in the bathroom.

We had a few hours at each port - it's a cattle call to get everyone off the boat, then a rush to make it back in a relatively short time. The only port we had more than a few hours at was in Rhodes.

Shore tours arranged through the ship are pricey - I can recommend the Santorini, Rhodes/Lindos, and Ephesus tours. They were all pretty good and worthwhile.

After four days/nights of sleeping on uncomfortable mattresses, eating mediocre food, being herded off the boat at ports, I was ready for the cruise to be over. The last "day" of the cruise is arriving in the port of Piraeus in Athens and leaving the boat at ~ 7 am.

Others that were with our group that have been on Celebrity and Princess cruises rated this cruise pretty low - about a C- or a D.

If you want a quick taste of each island and don't mind kinda roughing it, then maybe this is the cruise for you. Unfortunately this experience has really soured me on the idea of future cruises.

Babyliciious...PLEASE do not sour on the idea of cruising based on the experience you just described. The Aquamarine was NOT a cruise; it was an extended ferry ride with refreshments. You MUST try cruising on one of the main lines, you will be so glad that you did! We just got off a cruise on HAL Eurodam and I honestly have nothing to even consider complaining about. Exquisite food, FRESH squeezed oj every morning, plush cabins, and the list goes on. Please try cruising. You haven't cruised yet.