Help! Best Snorkeling In Eastern Carribbean?

earthfaries

All three are excellent.

These comments are from my Crown (Feb 2008) review.

Antigua:

http://www.adventureantigua.com/tour.html

Today’s boat Captain is J.D., not Eli. Tony was both narrator and snorkel guide. Tony proves to be a good replacement for Eli. A very windy day, 25 knots, makes for a rough ride to the North Shore. First stop is Bird Island beach for a short hike and/or snorkel lesson. There were two more stops, the last at Hell’s Gate. The weather and seas are too rough to snorkel over the reef to the Atantic side, so I just snorkeled between boat and reef. Nice coral and reef, but sand covers most of it and few fish venture out. Lunch is served on board. There are other options here including a climb to the top of Hell’s Gate via the island cave, which most choose to do. Good or bad weather, Eli’s is the best snorkel excursion in the Caribbean.

Tortola:

http://www.patouche.com/day_charters.htm

It’s another windy day. We sail Shamwari to the leeward, smooth, side of Norman Island. The first stop is at Treasure Caves. We snorkel along coral reefs and gardens and enter three of the caves. The island and caves were reputedly the inspirational source for Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic Treasure Island. Lunch is at Willy Ts, a floating restaurant. Willy T’s is a good divergence from the inevitable barbecued chicken on the snorkel boats. Patouche is a class act. Be aware that Patouche, on the close of this day, relocated their operation from H.R. Penn Marina to a location near the airport.

St Lucia:

http://www.divefairhelen.com/cruise_ship_special.htm

Boat meets us at ferry dock just across from cruise ship. Bumpy ride to dive shop at Marigot Bay. Ten snorkelers and nine divers board boat and head for Anse Cochon. Excellent marine life. The reef is easily accessed from the Tiki Village beach. Lunch is served on board, then a second stop at Richmond’s Trench. Large coral formations on each side are near the surface. A good day with an excellent operator. A big thumbs up for DFH.

Thanks so much. Sounds like you had a great time. We want to visit the Baths and Virgin Gorda while in Tortola, but between St. Lucia and Antigua, which did you personally think had the best snorkeling and beaches?

Thanks so much. Sounds like you had a great time. We want to visit the Baths and Virgin Gorda while in Tortola

Hi,

Just keep in mind that sometimes the Baths get cancelled due to wind (they're up wind from Tortola). We've gone once, booked four times. So keeping a snorkel trip on the back burner is always a good ideal (Norman island is close enough that they go every time, and it's a nice trip).

Randall

Malcolm was his name.....

and his basic theory was true...randomness

What was a GREAT site today...may stink tomorrow cuz of winds, seas, phase of the moon and sun spots.

I've dove the very same 25 sq ft of reef 100's of times. Sometimes it is GREAT and some times it STINKS.

A GREAT guide ensures you go to the good places on the day of your visit...even if you keep asking for one he knows will STINK today due to the conditions....

Thanks so much. Sounds like you had a great time. We want to visit the Baths and Virgin Gorda while in Tortola, but between St. Lucia and Antigua, which did you personally think had the best snorkeling and beaches?

Antigua, but primarily due to the operator, Adventure Antigua.

Adventure Antigua docks at the same pier as the cruise ships making it more convenient, It's a real bumpy boat ride from Castries to Marigot Bay.

Adventure Antigua has more stops, their catamaran is more comfortable than DFH's dive boat, and there's a good on board lunch too.:)

Having said that, I'd unhesitatingly book St Lucia's DFH again.

Antigua, but primarily due to the operator, Adventure Antigua.

Adventure Antigua docks at the same pier as the cruise ships making it more convenient, It's a real bumpy boat ride from Castries to Marigot Bay.

Adventure Antigua has more stops, their catamaran is more comfortable than DFH's dive boat, and there's a good on board lunch too.:)

Having said that, I'd unhesitatingly book St Lucia's DFH again.

Can you tell me more details? I looked at their website but it didn't specify how long the tour was and how much time you got to spend snorkeling.

Did you go in the cave? Was it easy or difficult? Would the eco tour be appropriate for 6 year olds?

Thanks so much!

Can you tell me more details? I looked at their website but it didn't specify how long the tour was and how much time you got to spend snorkeling.

Did you go in the cave? Was it easy or difficult? Would the eco tour be appropriate for 6 year olds?

Thanks so much!

Your six YO will be just fine.

There were three snorkel stops, each about one to one and a half hours. The beach stop can be either snorkeling or climbing the hill and enjoying the views. There are options besides snorkeling the reef at Hell's Gate. One is to climb the rocks and tunnels. I did not do that, but because of the weather the snorkeling was poor so a number of others did.

Nell's e-mail describes the timing:

I have debited your credit card in the amount of $20.00usd for the deposit for the Eco Tour. You will then pay the balance of $70usd (after the 10% discount has been deducted) to a Crew Member in either cash or travelers checks when you go on the tour (In order for you to receive the 10% discount, the balance MUST be paid in either cash or travelers checks).

You are confirmed for 13th of February x1.

We will be picking you up outside ‘Exotica Antigua’ Boutique on the Redcliffe Quay Board Walk (wooden Dock), in St. John's, which is 3 minutes walk from your ship dock, at 9:50am (the boat leaves at 10am) and have you back by 4:15pm at the latest.

The boat is an open white power-cat 52 foot long with a large white top. It has a large “Adventure Antigua” sign on the side of the hull. We encourage all our guests to please be ON TIME because we may have other people to pick up along the way.

Notice: Please email us a day before you leave for your trip to say that you are still on for the Eco Tour.

Thanks again and look forward to seeing you soon,

Nell

Your six YO will be just fine.

There were three snorkel stops, each about one to one and a half hours.

Nell's e-mail describes the timing:

I have debited your credit card in the amount of $20.00usd for the deposit for the Eco Tour. You will then pay the balance of $70usd (after the 10% discount has been deducted) to a Crew Member in either cash or travelers checks when you go on the tour (In order for you to receive the 10% discount, the balance MUST be paid in either cash or travelers checks).

You are confirmed for 13th of February x1.

We will be picking you up outside ‘Exotica Antigua’ Boutique on the Redcliffe Quay Board Walk (wooden Dock), in St. John's, which is 3 minutes walk from your ship dock, at 9:50am (the boat leaves at 10am) and have you back by 4:15pm at the latest.

The boat is an open white power-cat 52 foot long with a large white top. It has a large “Adventure Antigua” sign on the side of the hull. We encourage all our guests to please be ON TIME because we may have other people to pick up along the way.

Notice: Please email us a day before you leave for your trip to say that you are still on for the Eco Tour.

Thanks again and look forward to seeing you soon,

Nell

Thanks so much for that info. Wow, that's a good long trip, what a great deal!

I see you have sailed on the Maasdam and the Zuiderdam, I loved both those ships, although the Maasdam was a little small for me, but very enjoyable, a wonderful ship:) The Zuiderdam was my first cruise back in 2003:D

Thanks for all the input. Eli's Eco Tour sounds great to me, I just wonder if the times would work.

It seems like it would be cutting it awfully close , the ship is there from 8-5, and they don't return until 4:10.

Cosol tours in Antigua sounds great too, although it's not a snorkeling tour.

We used Dive Tortola for a two tank dive on the RMS Rhone. The dives were outstanding! The water was crystal clear, the fish and the wreck were breath taking!

One warning - we were told at times the current can be quite strong and the dive would be cancelled. The dive gods were smiling upon us that day, very little current.

Archived