Port of Tampa- things to do?

bernieb86

There are a number of things to do right in the area:

*The port is right beside the Florida Aquarium. It's pretty nice & a decent way to spend a couple of hours. Depending on time of year, there is an outdoor water play area for kids; it's mostly geared toward younger children (i.e. not something teens would likely enjoy). You can find info at flaquarium.org.

*In conjunction with the aquarium, there are a couple of boat tour type things. One goes out into the bay on a dolphin encounter type trip (you don't get in the water, the dolphins just swim alongside the boat). There is also a tour of the Victory, a WWII era cargoship. It's in the process of restoration & houses a maritime merchant museum.

*The port is in (or beside, depending on your cruiseline) the Channelside Entertainment complex. The comlex contains a number of little shops, restaurants, and bars, and includes a nice upscale bowling alley and a cinema. Depending on day of the week & time, they sometimes have live music in the courtyard. A couple of the restaurant/nightclubs sometimes have live music.

You could hop on the trolley/streetcar (there's a stop right by Channelside complex) & ride down to Ybor City. There are a number of interesting little shops, restaurants, and bars down there. The trolley's last stop is by a park in Ybor City that frequently has little festivals or events going.

If you don't have a car, those are probably your best options for spending a few hours between the cruise & your trip to the airport (assuming you're flying out).

If you're post-cruise & have luggage, I believe the aquarium has a luggage storage setup if you go there. If you want to go elsewhere & not drag your bags, there is a place that stores luggage for a fee. I'm blanking on the name, but it's at the exterior corner of the Channelside complex, kinda facing towards the aquarium. They sell discount tickets to various things there (including the aquarium if you want to go there - I think it saves a couple of bucks per head).

Archived