currency exchange for Asia cruise

caserko

Our cruise info said that currency exchange is available for some itineraries--does anyone know if it would be on the HAL Statendam for our Asia cruise (leaving next week)? If not, I'm looking for opinions on whether people bring multiple currencies onboard (exchange at home) or wait until arrival in ports? We'll need four different currencies for our trip and are wondering about the best method.

Thanks!

When we traveled from Sydney to Osaka on the Statendam in Spring 06, we were able to exchange USD for most local currencies. We weren't able to sell it back at the end of the day, so we tried to spend all we bought. Most places would take USD and credit cards, but most folks don't want USD anymore.

The only specific place I recall having a problem with USD was in the Atomic Bomb Museum in Nagasaki where the gift shop would not take USD or credit cards. We found an American family who sold us JPY at a good rate [for them!] and we were able to get the "Peace" t-shirts we wanted.

Have a good trip!

On the other hand, I just bought almost $2000 worth of Chinese yuan, Vietnamese dong, Thai baht and Japanese yen for an Amsterdam cruise in September. I'm hoping that the exchange rate gets even worse so I end up saving some money in th end.

We did the same thing last year for a Med cruise -- bought about $2000 worth of Euros and then had to cancel the trip. With the difference in the exchange rate from this time last year, we're in a good position to enrich the European economy when we take a riverboat cruise in May.

don't take anything other than what you will need in the city where your plane lands and don't even take much of that. There are ATM's everywhere for local currency and they take credit cards in most places. The only places that want US dollars is street markets so don't have any expectations that anyone wants US dollars. And don't load up on currency you will not need. Just use the ATM's if you need cash, use credit cards for everything else. We went through 6 currencies and except for some Bahts in Bangkok and some Hong Kong dollars for our stopover in HK, we just got cash as we needed it and no more.

We did a pre and post tour with our cruise and exchanged money in various hotels, on the ship and on land. The only place that was a bit 'iffy' was our first stop in China, where the officials came on board and would only exchange a certain amount. At the end of our cruise, we exchanged all the various money for yuen and went from there. Spent nearly all of that at the duty free shops on the way home - it was great.

Charlie

Archived