Photo SD card to Disk services?

Reef

I'm off to the Panama Canal on Infinity in a couple of weeks. I'm an experienced cruiser, and I have tons of SD cards to store photos. However, several family members and friends are coming and they are all planning on bringing laptops to transfer their photos off of SD card when they get full.

I don't want them to have to bring laptops (bulky, and they will be tempted to work , the fools).

Long lead-in for a simple question:

Does Celebrity Infinity have a service whereby they will transfer pictures off a full SD card and onto a CD or DVD or something?

If so, what is the cost?

Thanks for any info, and apologies if this is redundant, but the search feature is down.

During our last sailing (Millennium in Jun 2007), the on board photo shop charged $15 per CD to transfer photos from a flash memory card. CDs will hold something like 700 MB each.

Incidentally, we brought our laptop with us on that trip for several reasons including managing our photos (no, we did not do any work). I think I ended up taking about 8GB of photos during our 12 night cruise which would have worked out to about 12 CDs ($180--yikes).

Why don't just one of you bring a laptop with CD/DVD burner.

A few external drives and some blank CD/dvds and everyone can share/backup whatever.

I offered this service on one of our trips to the CC group where we can travel by car to the port.

And... they charge $15 every time they transfer pictures to the CD. I brought a memory stick, thinking I could use one of the ship's computers (in the lab) to transfer pictures from my memory card to the stick but the ship's computers don't have that capability anymore. I went to the photo people and they said they charge the same ($15) to put my pictures on MY stick! They would charge another $15 to put my niece's pictures on there, too. Have ONE person bring a laptop and do it yourself.

Why don't just one of you bring a laptop with CD/DVD burner.

A few external drives and some blank CD/dvds and everyone can share/backup whatever.

I offered this service on one of our trips to the CC group where we can travel by car to the port.

Good idea.... think of all the money they will save at $.15 for their CD vs $15.00 for the ship to burn it. ;)

I personally always carry mine so I can back up my photos plus see how they are coming out and reviewing what we did in the evening.

I just looked at B & H Photo and they sell a Kingston 2GB SD card for $12.50. 2GB is equivalent to about three CD's in terms of storage.

So what I am suggesting is just buy a bunch of memory cards and don't worry about off loading.

Of course having a second copy of ones data is always advisable. There are many portable viewers that have a hard drive that you can copy files too. I have an adapter for my video iPod that allows files to be transferred to it for storage. But a notebook is easier.

Bodger

Archived