Egypt Plug Adapters

MVPinBoynton

We will be going to Egypt and are wanting to make sure that we get the correct plug adapters. I know that we need the adapters with two round plugs. In looking at the various sites on this subject, there are two types that have two round plugs, type "C" and type "E". I thought that the only difference was that the type "E" was grounded. When asking an adapter vendor about which one of theirs to buy, (since they didn't use the "E" and "C" terminology)they indicated that theirs that looked like type "C" has smaller round pins then theirs that looks like type "E".

I had read on a post on another bulletin board that a person had a problem with their adapters because they were too big, so I am concerned that I could have a problem. Normally, I would just but a couple of each type and nor worry about it; but since there are a lot of people in our group, I don't want to recommend the wrong ones.

I apologize for the long explanation, but would sure appreciate any info anyone can provide on this subject. I am sure it would help others that are going to Egypt too.

Thanks seafun. You have been so helpful. It seemed to me that the smaller one was the correct one. By any chance did you use an extension cord with multiple plug ins that would allow for charging more than one battery at a time? I will get several adapters; but don't know if there is more than one plug that will be available on the river boat. The multi plug extension cords we have are only rated for 125 volts, not 220. I would hate to start the river boat on fire. :D

Since I didn't take the voltage converter, I didn't need more than one outlet at a time, so I didn't take the extension cord.

I would be VERY careful using our "regular" extension cords, (unless it goes from wall plug to adaptor to voltage converter to "U.S. extension cord" then plug in your U.S. devices. Check around with someone who knows electricity, but I think you need a special cord if you're plugging the cord into an adaptor in a wall outlet, then to a 110-220 device.

My steamer was 110-220. My battery charger says its 110-220, but says to never use an extension cord.

Sorry I don't have a definite answer -- just a few more pieces of the puzzle. :)

NAS-KARR,

Thanks for the link. I have been to this site and it is one of the sites where I learned about the ones that will work. My problem is the vendor that I want to use is telling me that I need the larger pins and that is inconsistent with what I am reading and what Seafun has stated. I might just buy both of them and not worry about it.

That worked great. You had a spelling error on electric on your first post. The link is http://www.travel-images.com/electric-plugs.html . It is a nice site I hadn't seen. I will send it to the vendor I am trying to get them from and let him see that what I want is the right one. Thanks so much.

It might be helpful to know that the plugs in Egypt (both hotels and Nile cruisers) are the same as those in Europe (France, Italy, Spain, etc.), but NOT Great Britain (even though they use 220 like the rest of Europe). I have lived in Italy 10 years (this time!) and I still can't figure out why occasionally I'll buy an electrical appliance here and the pins are slightly bigger and wider apart. Then I have to get a plug convertor so that I can fit it into the outlet. That probably explains why you have been recommended two different kinds. I can confirm what you were told by Seafun: 1) you want the plug convertor with the two slightly smaller, slightly closer together cylindrical pins, and (2) don't use an American extension cord. I've never tried it, but I know it's not recommended.

The best way to buy them is on the internet since in stores they can be hard to find.

Good luck and have a wonderful time!

Thanks so much for that explanation Andiamo!. Is Germany the same as Italy? I am asking because that is the one that the company I conversed with said was not the right size.

Hmmm... now I'm wondering if maybe Germany uses the slightly larger pins..:confused: I'm not familiar with Germany, but that might explain why some things you buy here have the larger pins - they might be German products. :confused: (But I don't want to start any rumours so let's pretend I didn't say that!)

What I can tell you though is that I took both my Italian cell phone and my Italian camera charger (which both have the smaller pins) to Egypt and I plugged them both straight into the wall with no convertor or adapter. That is definitely the kind you'll need.

Vicki,

Rather than trying to order Egyptian plugs, I will order Italian plugs. :D It will take the confusion out of the order.

Excellent idea! ;)

And my apologies to everyone reading this thread for throwing the work "convertor" in. :o I actually meant to say "adaptor" each time.

Archived