New York Miracle Questions Help Needed

ccamp

Hi this board is always a lot of help. I hope I can get your thoughts on the Miracle out of New York.

I have never left from New York. Plus for me I can drive to port--negative 30.00 a day is pretty high compared to what I am used to. I looked though old threads and I did not see any motel /hotel that you could pay to park there either and the hotels seem double what I am used to also.

I am traveling on a budget so any ideas for parking hotel day before after. I am coming in out of Cleveland, OH on the 8th.

Thanks in advance

Carroll

I am inclined to doubt you will find any hotels in NYC where you can park your car while you are on your cruise. Have you considered driving to Newark Airport and parking your car there in the long term parking and then finding transportation to the port? Good Luck with what ever you choose.

The problem is - the amount of money that you would save using long term parking would probably be negated in getting a car service to go into manhattan. You could use public transportation... hm. One option, i suppose, would be to park at Newark, LaGuardia or JFK Long Term, and then take the supershuttle into the city, and have them drop you at the pier...

A friend of mine sailed the Miracle last June with us and stayed in the Homewood Suites in Edgewater, NJ (right across the river) and she was able to park her car there for free for the whole time she was on the cruise. They had a shuttle bus from the hotel to the ferry terminal in Weehawken and then they took a cab from the ferry to the pier.

Most NY Hotel parking lots are operated by independent companies, thus they are not able or don't offer discount parking or packages. Your best bet may be to park at an economy lot in Newark ($6.95-$9.00 a day), catch the air train from the airport and transfer to NJ Transit Train going into Penn Station in NYC and then get a cab to the cruise terminal. There are a dozen or so parking lots around Newark Airport on Routes 1 & 9 that offer these deals. You can also go online and get coupons for 1 free day or a percentage off.

There is a hotel in Edgewater, NJ that someone was able to stay in one night and then leave their car there for free the whole week. It is on one of the last pages of a thread titled "all things miracle," which I though I had in my subscribed threads, but cannot find.

I'll post here when I find it, or maybe Sandy will post here with the info.

**Edited to add: Sandi - you beat me! I must've taken too long.

Hi this board is always a lot of help. I hope I can get your thoughts on the Miracle out of New York.

I have never left from New York. Plus for me I can drive to port--negative 30.00 a day is pretty high compared to what I am used to. I looked though old threads and I did not see any motel /hotel that you could pay to park there either and the hotels seem double what I am used to also.

I am traveling on a budget so any ideas for parking hotel day before after. I am coming in out of Cleveland, OH on the 8th.

Thanks in advance

Carroll

Hi there :)

so your sailing on the 9th correct? I will be on that ship. We are from Jersey..literally a 10 minute drive from NYC. I believe you can park in the NJ transit lots or there is newark airport parking thats not so bad :)

thanks so much! I am going to check on the New Jersey hotel to park. I am also surprised to hear that you can park at the airport even if you are not flying out of the airport. Am I understanding this correctly?

No - i think you can park at the airport - it's just transportation from the airport that can be a problem.

Supershuttle, I believe, costs $19 each way for a shared ride from the airport into Manhattan.

I looked at Icon parking. They have a lot of options. Hudson view was the best price on 10th. 8 days would be 168.00 dollars. They had other options up to 400.00 dollars. I don't know what they areas are like.

If you are totally unfamiliar with the area are you better off parking at the airport and taking the shuttle in? Or do you think that a reasonable driver would find these garage areas? I have heard horror stories about the traffic and the traffic jams.

Thanks to all of you again.

There are plenty of economy/long term parking lots directly on the Newark Airport Property itself, and several across from the airport. All have shuttles that go to the airport. You can park in their lot, and hop on the airtrain and NJ Tranist Chain into NYC or catch the SuperShuttle from the airport into Manhattan. If it's just a family or a few people, it's no problem, but the more people, the more a a logistics nightmare it can be. $6.50-$9.00, plus the cost of the train or shuttle into the city, is well worth the "inconvenience" compared to $18-$35.00 for every 24 hour period parking in a NYC lot. Also you may want to try parking in downtown Brooklyn area and getting a cab into the city. The rates are higher than Newark, but lower than Manhattan.

For me, i would rather park at the pier than struggle with my luggage and whatever else i bring back!:D

http://www.nycruise.com/parkNYC.html

Parking

MANHATTAN CRUISE TERMINAL

dots.gif

Parking is conveniently located above each of the piers. Drive up the Viaduct Ramp at 55th Street to the receiving area adjacent to their cruise vessel's berth.

Parking Rates Effective 4/1/08

• Daily rate (up to 10 hours) for drop offs/visitors
    $25.00
  • Cruise parking
    $30.00 per night
  • Cruises from 10 to 30 nights
    $300.00

Please Note:

Taxes are included in the rates. Payment accepted in cash, visa and master card. Reservations are not accepted.

We do not accept reservations. Space is subject to availability and is provided to cruise parkers on a first come, first serve basis.

For Ports America (Terminal Operator) Parking Information, call (212) 641-4454.

Additional parking lots are located at 59th Street.

Archived