Ketchikan shore excursion question

2Oregonians

Taking the Golden Princess Inside Passage cruise July 19th. I originally scheduled for us to go to Potlatch Heritage Village (me, 44 with parents 73 & 81 while hubby is fishing), but it takes up most of the time we are in Ketchikan. I have read here that Ketchikan is a great port for just walking around the shopping areas right near the ship, and I'd like to do that, so I switched to Totem Traditions. It goes from 7 am to 9:30 and we'll still have time to walk the town.

My question is, does anyone have thoughts on Potlatch Heritage Village vs. Totem Traditions? Thanks!! :)

Both tours would be informative and full of information. Both tours include a trip north of town. Potlatch Park is actually next door to Totem Bight State Park. The difference is the stop at the Heritage Center on the potlatch tour- which is downtown and adds time to your visit.

Both tours offer poles, and a clan house. Potlatch was built and opened just a few years ago, and simulates a traditional Native village- it is privately owned. Totem Bight has been around for a lot longer. Both are situated on the waterfront about 10 miles north of town.

The Heritage Center is the keeper of original poles that were rescued from abandoned village sites in the 1970s. It's the only place you can see poles as old as 200 years.

If you opt to take the shorter tour, and get a walking tour map at the visitors bureau, you can walk to the Heritage Center if time permits, or book a stand alone tour at the visitor bureau.

Archived