Ears Blocked

jdbmga

My ears are still not totally unblocked, especially the right one, from my open water certification dives on Saturday and yesterday. Is this normal for some people? My DH (certified for 30 years) has never had this problem. I did have trouble equalizing and had to often. What should I do, anything?

My ears are still not totally unblocked, especially the right one, from my open water certification dives on Saturday and yesterday. Is this normal for some people? My DH (certified for 30 years) has never had this problem. I did have trouble equalizing and had to often. What should I do, anything?

Have 'em checked out. I thought I had an ear infection (I get swimer's ear often) and when I had it chekced by the ship's doctor he asked whether I had problems equalizing as there was minor trauma. I did have isses with equalizing. I had it checked by an ENT back home and all's OK now.

Have 'em checked out. I thought I had an ear infection (I get swimer's ear often) and when I had it chekced by the ship's doctor he asked whether I had problems equalizing as there was minor trauma. I did have isses with equalizing. I had it checked by an ENT back home and all's OK now.

What did you have to do to remedy the trauma?

Debbie,

It's not uncommon to have some problems equalizing. I do as well and have to equalize frequently. But do go to a Dr. and make sure there is no trauma. When I had trouble and after my certifying dives, I discovered with the Dr. that my left eustachian tube is a smidgen smaller than the right. I now have a routine for that. But also, when your first learning, sometimes you do it to hard, too fast and you may have done a little trauma. They will often use anithistamines to ease the issue. But DON'T DO THAT ON YOUR OWN......... Just check it out with an ENT and they can give you the best advice.

Debbie,

It's not uncommon to have some problems equalizing. I do as well and have to equalize frequently. But do go to a Dr. and make sure there is no trauma. When I had trouble and after my certifying dives, I discovered with the Dr. that my left eustachian tube is a smidgen smaller than the right. I now have a routine for that. But also, when your first learning, sometimes you do it to hard, too fast and you may have done a little trauma. They will often use anithistamines to ease the issue. But DON'T DO THAT ON YOUR OWN......... Just check it out with an ENT and they can give you the best advice.

Thank you for the advice Debbie. I probably did do it too hard. I will make an appt with an ENT tomorrow if it isn't better by then.

It was minor so the ship's doctor said that wasn't much that could be done but let it heal, and see my own doctor if it wasn't better. He advises that I take Sudafed for the flight home.

The ENT "popped" the ear drum since it was a bit concave: a little pump device through the ear. A week later when I went back he said it looked fine.

Similar to Cruzegirl, my ENT also suspects that I may have a problem with the eustachian tube.

Cruzegirl: what kind of a routine was prescribed? I agree about not selfmedicating for this, I wil lmost likely se eteh ENT again to see what to do in the future.

It was minor so the ship's doctor said that wasn't much that could be done but let it heal, and see my own doctor if it wasn't better. He advises that I take Sudafed for the flight home.

The ENT "popped" the ear drum since it was a bit concave: a little pump device through the ear. A week later when I went back he said it looked fine.

Similar to Cruzegirl, my ENT also suspects that I may have a problem with the eustachian tube.

Cruzegirl: what kind of a routine was prescribed? I agree about not selfmedicating for this, I wil lmost likely se eteh ENT again to see what to do in the future.

Peter,

Because I know I have this issue, I take Claritin D or Sudafed products for 24 hours before I dive. It allows the antihistamine to work and keep my ears open. I also, right before going in, for about 30 minutes periodically equalize on land. It reminds me to do it in the water but also opens my ears prior to jumping in. And I take Claritin D for 48 hours after diving too. I also descend very slowly while equalizing. It's worked well so far. Except when I decided I was ok to dive with allergies acting up:rolleyes: :cool: Not very smart.

I would suspect that you have a reverse block. This isn't dangerous and takes time to work out. I get them often and take antihistemine to help open the ear from inside. Like the others have said, go to a doctor and see what they say.

Peter,

Because I know I have this issue, I take Claritin D or Sudafed products for 24 hours before I dive. It allows the antihistamine to work and keep my ears open. I also, right before going in, for about 30 minutes periodically equalize on land. It reminds me to do it in the water but also opens my ears prior to jumping in. And I take Claritin D for 48 hours after diving too. I also descend very slowly while equalizing. It's worked well so far. Except when I decided I was ok to dive with allergies acting up:rolleyes: :cool: Not very smart.

Hi,

I too have issues with equalizing. I used to be an electronic technician and used to calibrate ENT ear testing equipment and know from testing my ears three times a day that I have a partially blocked tube in my right ear, not enough to have any medical treatments. However I've developed a routine that seems to work for me...

1) a week before diving I begin to ease into popping my ears, about 3 times a day the first day, 3-4 the second, third, fourth, etc until I find I can easily pop them just by swallowing (my doctor told me the tubes are muscles and like any muscle, stretching them out before exercise always keeps them looser)

2) The day I dive I take a 12 hour sudafed (check with your doctor first before you do). This helps shrink the sinuses around my tubes and allows more freedom for them to pop. Warning, don't take sudafed with Nitrox, if you're certified you know it has a reaction at depth with higher oxy. compounds

3) As I get up in the morning I pop my ears and about every 1/2 hour or hour just to "warm them up".

4) As I get on the boat, at the shore, etc. I take a second to pop my ears before I set up my gear, sometime during set up and after I get geared up

5) I pop my ears before entering the water, at the surface and a few times through the first 15 ft. (which is supposedly when the most pressure builds up while diving)

6) I get past 20ft, I'm golden and never have to equalize again.

7) If I'm diving multiple times I give them a pop between dives or chew gum, if allowed.

Anyway, even though I have a funky right ear, I haven't had any problems equalizing since I worked this out.

Randall

BTW, this may sound tough on the ears but I've got them "trained" that I can just swallow and they'll pop, no blowing, straining or other harsh physical stress on my ears.

Hi,

I too have issues with equalizing. I used to be an electronic technician and used to calibrate ENT ear testing equipment and know from testing my ears three times a day that I have a partially blocked tube in my right ear, not enough to have any medical treatments. However I've developed a routine that seems to work for me...

1) a week before diving I begin to ease into popping my ears, about 3 times a day the first day, 3-4 the second, third, fourth, etc until I find I can easily pop them just by swallowing (my doctor told me the tubes are muscles and like any muscle, stretching them out before exercise always keeps them looser)

2) The day I dive I take a 12 hour sudafed (check with your doctor first before you do). This helps shrink the sinuses around my tubes and allows more freedom for them to pop. Warning, don't take sudafed with Nitrox, if you're certified you know it has a reaction at depth with higher oxy. compounds

3) As I get up in the morning I pop my ears and about every 1/2 hour or hour just to "warm them up".

4) As I get on the boat, at the shore, etc. I take a second to pop my ears before I set up my gear, sometime during set up and after I get geared up

5) I pop my ears before entering the water, at the surface and a few times through the first 15 ft. (which is supposedly when the most pressure builds up while diving)

6) I get past 20ft, I'm golden and never have to equalize again.

7) If I'm diving multiple times I give them a pop between dives or chew gum, if allowed.

Anyway, even though I have a funky right ear, I haven't had any problems equalizing since I worked this out.

Randall

BTW, this may sound tough on the ears but I've got them "trained" that I can just swallow and they'll pop, no blowing, straining or other harsh physical stress on my ears.

i do the same w/sudafed of some sort.....my ears are so bad i must take 1 sudafed 2hrs b4 i fly the 1 more an hour b4 landing......but i also equalize every breath for the first 30 ft down then roughly every 5-10 min during the dive.......go figure no prob diving but trouble when flying:confused: :confused:

Sudafed 12 hour, the wonder drug. I start taking it on the first day of a cruise and don't stop until the last day. I started doing this after getting a slight tear in one ear drum during a dive about 7 years ago. It was excruciating, so I am careful to not go there again.

Sudafed does work wonders, but make sure you get the "non-drowsey" I made that mistake once and spent the whole day yawning. I have always had trouble equalizing. My Dr. told me that my sinus tubes are about the size of fishing line!! Couple of things that help me a lot........ Always decend head first, and wiggle your jaw back and forth rapidally as you are tryind to equalizing...........just make sure you have an extra mouth piece in your dive bag because this will make you chew trough one pretty quick!

• 5 weeks later...

I am jealous of you all! My ears never cleared, even when I got my advanced certification and couldn't hear for days. An ENT physician, who is also a diver, operated on me after he tried medications. His conclusion was that some people are anatomically not made to dive, and I was one of the unlucky few. I am glad that medications work for you!

I am jealous of you all! My ears never cleared, even when I got my advanced certification and couldn't hear for days. An ENT physician, who is also a diver, operated on me after he tried medications. His conclusion was that some people are anatomically not made to dive, and I was one of the unlucky few. I am glad that medications work for you!

Hi,

Really sorry to hear you have problems preventing you from diving. Of course this doesn't mean you can't snorkel on the surface. And I know I saw my first seahorse in 2ft. of water and the largest file fish I ever saw in 3ft. so don't think you'll not see cool stuff in the "shallows". Anyway, hope all is well with your ears!

Randall

Thanks Randall. I have become quite an experienced snorkeler, but mostly from the shore. The main problem is that I rarely can go on dive boats with my husband. Many operators don't offer a "bubble watcher" rate, so I just go shopping instead! The sacrifices I make! haha

Boy, does this sound familiar! I have what's familiarly known here as 'wet' ears. Elevators of more than 3 floors get me, and flying is simply misery on my ears, in addition to the normal misery of airports and planes.

When I first started diving, I actually had to do a 'Hail Mary' descent. Get both ears open on the surface, flip over, and full speed to the bottom blowing the whole way to keep them open. It's truly amazing how fast you can get down when you HAVE to do it in one breath.

Then, I discovered 12 hour Contac. Now, many years and hundreds of dives later, I'll take (real) Sudafed, Contac, or whatever decongestant is handy. I usually am fine on dive 1, but getting down on dive 2 can be a real bear if I forget.

The good thing is that my ears help me regulate my depth - if I change more than a couple of feet (depending on depth, of course) they start squeaking to let me know.

I actually got some high-powered decongestant tablets from my doc last year when I had a horrible sinus infection. I saved the last one, used it for our flight over to San Juan, and no ear problem! Of course, on the way back, it was 12 hour Sudafed and back to the usual misery. I got some more just for our flights this year, and was fine.

Checking in with an ENT just in case is a great idea. They should be able to give you either some insight into why it happened, or at least something to help clear it up.

Hope your ears feel better soon!

Wendy

The key is to use a decongestant. Antihistamines only work if you actually have allergy problems. I don't really have allergies, just narrow ear passages. The decongestant shrinks the lining of the tubes and sinuses allowing me to clear my ears with ease. I NEVER use anything other than an extended release product. I agree with not self medicating, but where do you guys live that you can see an ENT on short notice? It took me 4 months just to get an appointment.

I also use extended release sudafed. I have also had to use Afrin before some dives depending on how soon I am going to dive after flying as I have problems clearing after flying as well. I know that the DAN opinion is not to use any decongestant, as they feel that it may wear off during a dive and in turn you may get rebound nasal congestion.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have the same problem mainly in my right ear. I did some diving on a cruise right after my OW. My ears snapped, crackled and popped for days after the first dive. I just thought I would be one of those people who would always have problems and have to live with it. Sudafed helped some but the best advise I got was to watch this video http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/

It was the best hour I have ever spent in dive training. He teaches several techniques including some that were not covered during my initial OW training. After learning the 'Throat piston or Adam's apple bob' I have never had ear pain again. I can even do fast free dive decents I never thought was possible before.

It is definately worth checking out.

'bob

• 3 weeks later...

I envy any of you that can dive! Three years ago I was diagnosed with Meniere's in my left ear. Although I have had NO symptoms in 3 years, other than some mild tinnitus, I can't dive at all. My DS really wants to learn, though, so I am talking DH into going with him.

Hi there,

Obviously a lot of good advice and information has already been posted. But as it sounds very much like my own experience I'd like to contribute.

When I first qualified and previously when I had done a try dive, I suffered from very painful ears. At first I never mentioned anything for fear of being told that I could not continue with the course. However towards the end I spoke to my instructor who fortunately was very experienced diver. He explained that with quite a few people the tubes in your ears need to become accustomed to being contracted and expanded and after a few dives the problem should stop.

In my case fortunately this was proved to be true and I now dive with no problems what so ever.

I also experienced problems with equalising to begin with, frequently having to come up a few feet to sort the problem out. This too has sorted it's self out as well. I would say that by the time I had completed 10 logged dives all was ok.

Archived