FOS questions for parents with small children

Hello,

I have finally made the decision to try my first cruise. I was really impressed by the photos that I saw of the H2O zone and promenade so I am tentatively planning on going on FOS next summer (2009). I have been pouring through all of the threads, but forgive me if I've asked something that has recently been discussed.

My son will be either 6 or 7 depending upon when we travel and I wanted to know if people that had children that age found the cruise to be worthwhile for them? The Disney cruise seems very expensive and I'd rather just go to the park if I want that experience.

Also, my son has autism and I wanted to know how flexible RCL is regarding age grouping for the kids club? What is the staff to child ratio in the kids club? For the late night babysitting, is that done in the cabin or in the kids club? He would definitely be asleep by 8:00 pm, so I just wanted to check to see what the typical procedure is.

Thanks in advance for your help!

We have sailed RCL 10 times and the FOS three times, the last time at Easter. The H2O Zone is wonderful and your son will have a blast. My daughter is 7 and she totally enjoys the h2o area. Also, if your son is over 52" tall he can do the flow rider. My daughter loved it too. You can get private lessons by the hour. As far as adventure ocean, the kids club can be croweded during vacation times like easter and christmas. I have seen as few as 4 kids in the club and sometimes upwards of 20. I do not know the exact ratios but the workers are great, all with a college education. I have to pry my daughter away each evening because she insists on staying until 1 am and I usually cannot make it that late.

Happy sails

Bill

FOS hands down will beat either Disney ship for a 6/7 year old. :D I know cause we've been on both with my 7 (now 8) year old and she prefers Freedom out of all of the cruises.

We have a Fam board where we discuss cruising with kids so come on over. Many of us have been on Freedom class with kids.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

I also just recently start a blog with all of the links for the different info about crusing with kids (including Freedom compasses). The link to the AO compasses and menu is at this blog on the right hand side.

http://www.cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com/

We just stepped off the Freedom yesterday and my youngest is 5. He loved the kids program on the Disney Wonder, but also really loved this program and was always happy to go to his kids club. They stay open at night, you just have to pay $5/hour after 10pm. I know they have in room babysitting, I'm just not sure for what ages. I can't imagine him not loving the Freedom, it's an amazing ship with tons for the kids to do. The H2O zone is a definite advantage that the Freedom has over Disney. We were a bit surprised by how small the Disney pools were.

Archived